AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 07-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Default 150 w stereo version of the ART mono amp

Messrs. Conrad and Johnson are threatening with a few new valve components for late this and early next year. Difficult to say what those may be, but one of them could (and should) be a single-chassis stereo version of their brilliant ART mono power amplifiers. Imagine a 150W per channel beast with same sonics as the big monoblocks, but costing not much more than half the price! Higher sensitivity of the large number of good modern loudspeakers, combined with small to medium size living rooms and... we already perfect partner for THE GAT and other preamplifiers of similar abilities.

from the UK importer website...

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 08-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

C-J turns their product portfolio over pretty quickly it seems these days, so I am not surprised if they made a stereo version of the ART, I guess it will have as you say, approx 150 Wpc (my guess is 140 Wpc).

Half the cost of an ART amp...I guess that means it will cost approx $15,000, then.

Be interesting to see what they come up with.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM

cj currently have no tube amplifier between the LP125m and the ART amplifier.

The one chassis version of the ART makes sense from every viewpoint. I wonder if they would make it possible to then monoblock them like the premier 140 a few years back.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post

The one chassis version of the ART makes sense from every viewpoint. I wonder if they would make it possible to then monoblock them like the premier 140 a few years back.
Shane,
I don't think so...when I had a Premier 11A, I bought a second one with intention of doing just that, strapping them to mono. C-J said they could do it, but I was warned by a friend who had tried it with C-J tube amps not to do it because in his and his friends' cases, they had very poor success.

It has to do with the differences in how the transformers for a monoblock and a stereo tube amp are configured. A monoblock uses an intrinsically different approach with respect to how the transformers are utilized than a stereo tube amp. Trying to strap a stereo tube amp for mono can potentially result in undesirable effects, including instability.

It's different for transistor amps, where in some designs you can convert to mono very easily with virtually no adverse affects.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 AM

Stephen

That is why I only mentioned the prem140. That was the only one actually designed to be monoblocked, however even with that I think you needed to send back to cj.

yes, with prem11a, I could see it not being too sucessful

Funny, Mcintosh designed the MC2102 to be monoblocked very easily, they are superb
Old 08-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Ah, so. Didn't know that about the Premier 140.

Regarding the Premier 11A, as you well know there's that big middle transformer that is not present in Premier 8As or Premier 12s.

In either case, re the Pr140 or the MC2102, there must be something about the transformer design that permits this.

Your Premier 8As must be awfully good, though, especially with the Teflon cap upgrade.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-05-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

Agreed. There's quite a gap now that the LP70S and LP140Ms are gone.

The LP series....that was one fine line of amps as Rafale knows; now only the 275s are left.

I'm listening to my LP70S as I write this and it's 's wonderful...'s marvelous...

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-05-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Agreed. There's quite a gap now that the LP70S and LP140Ms are gone.

The LP series....that was one fine line of amps as Rafale knows; now only the 275s are left.

I'm listening to my LP70S as I write this and it's 's wonderful...'s marvelous...
Have a look at the cj website. There are no LP275's either
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:

The good piece of news it is because we find now LP140M and LP275M in attractive prices
Philippe

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
WTF?

Oh, man...