AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 07-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Is this thread really so dead?

We used to share our common experiences.

But lately, it's been awfully quiet. Are we all so fat dumb and happy?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Vintage listener

It's possible.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM

Hi Joe,

I am here and like you eager for some action in this forum.

Bill
ARTsa, ET5, TEA2MAX.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:27 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Well... let's see. Fat? yes. Dumb? not so much. Happy? sure.

We moved to Sarasota, Florida from Maryland last year and I've been trying to get my sound back in shape ever since. My new HiFi room and living dining room space is 30x20x12. Way bigger than the previous space and highly reflective. it's like setting up I'm a high school gym.

Been moving speakers and trying the LP140 monos vs. the Premier 350. I've finally got it worked out. The LP140s win for sound. Better mids and upper bass. Thanks to Ivan, I added a JL Audio Fathom 113 sub and it does just what was needed... fills in the really low freqs and pumps up the transients in this big room.
Thanks for cueing we c-j folks up.
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 07-28-2015, 10:50 PM

Hi All, this thread has been relatively dormant for quite a while. Thanks Joe for pumping a bit of life into it.

I'm a multi-decade CJ tube fan. My system is built around a GAT and LP140M monoblocks. Other equipment includes an Esoteric K03, Focal Diablo monitors, 2 JL Audio F110 subs, a JL Audio CR-1 active crossover and Siltech interconnects and speaker cables.

I do have an interest in possibly upgrading my output tubes to KT 120s and would appreciate insights from others who have done so.

My focus over the past twelve months has been on improving the infrastructure of my system. I'm very pleased with the result and posted a short write up at this link if you're interested.

Shared post from 'AudioAficionado' by mfoley3 from thread 'System Infrastructure Improvement - BIG Payback!':
Old 07-29-2015, 06:13 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

mfoley3... As you can see I'm running the GAT/LP140s as well. Quite some time ago, maybe two years, I replied the output tubes in the 140s with KT120s. I've been very satisfied with the change. You don't get more power because the driving voltage/current is not increased, but I believe there's more loud passage head room for the amps. The sound is still wonderful, no negatives and maybe a bit better. Tube longevity should be better as they are operating at less than capacity. The only downside is that your tube cages will no longer fit as the 120s are a bit taller. I don't use the rattle things anyway. But the amps look way better with the larger tubes so for me a plus. Go for it... it's plug n' play. Put them in, bias and go.
Enjoy, Bob

BTW... Lew Johnson is a friend and recommended the 120s. At the time he referred to them as the new super tube and even thought they sounded better.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer

Last edited by Coppy; 07-29-2015 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Hi Bob, thanks for the info. I'll definitely give the KT120s a try come replacement time. Did you source them from CJ?
Thanks, Mike
Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Mike, c-j is a great place to get them because they carefully test each tube but they are a bit pricey. I bought mine at Tube Depot. Nice folks that stand behind the product. Get a set now and keep your 6550s as spares.
Bob
Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 AM

Hi Bob, thanks for the info regarding Tube Depot. Are there multiple manufacturers of KT120s? If so, is there a preferred one? Thanks, Mike.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

The KT120 (and 150) are manufactured by Tung-Sol only I believe. Don't use the 150s... they won't work in your amps.