AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-15-2015, 04:44 PM

I would like to know if the differences between the ET5 and the GAT are musical source material dependent. Specifically, given that the two are essentially identical, except that the GAT is 2x (the ET5) in terms of the power supply and capacitance, would the sound difference be likely to be minor for a quartet, but more obvious for a full orchestra?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 AM

I think your challenge is going to be that any differences are system dependent. If you have a system with a modest sound stage vs a system that throws a massive sound stage the differences will mean very different things. If your source or your setup is wanting then the differences may be slight because the preamp is not the weakest link. Its the same if the person you are asking as a good vs an average system. There are many unknowns. The GAT by reputation is a true reference level preamp. I think your best bet is the review of the ET5 by a reviewer that had a GAT. I've seen it on the net somewhere. I wish you luck but really an audition is the only way. If you can afford a GAT you can surely afford a holiday or a stopover somewhere where you can compare them. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM

Briz,

Thanks for your reply. I actually bought the ET5 based on recommendations from my dealer and during a visit to Conrad-Johnson. My amp is an ARTsa and my speakers are Sony SS-AR2. My listening preference is for small group jazz, which generally is less demanding (thinking of electronics only) than would be a large ensemble with a wide dynamic range. The way it was described to me was that the ET5 is close to the GAT, awful close, but at the end of the day there is no such thing as a free lunch. A sudden burst of energy will have less impact with the ET5. My system sounds fantastic. I am sure a GAT would add an incremental enhancement, but at a hefty premium.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
It would be no surprise if the GAT was overall better sounding than the Ref 10. cj have had a lot of experience in Teflon caps and how large and where to put them.
You will be surprised.....I had the ACT2 before replacing it with Ref10. This was after spending many hours listening to my friend GAT & Anniv 40 before deciding to go for Ref 10. In my opinion, the differences between GAT and Anniv 40 is more to personal preference and type of music but there is no way GAT can outperform Ref 10.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgchong View Post
You will be surprised.....I had the ACT2 before replacing it with Ref10. This was after spending many hours listening to my friend GAT & Anniv 40 before deciding to go for Ref 10. In my opinion, the differences between GAT and Anniv 40 is more to personal preference and type of music but there is no way GAT can outperform Ref 10.
IYO

At the price it one would hope it would sound better

cheers