AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Default Thoughts on new ET3 SE

Well, it's been here for about 24 hrs. It cost me almost $7500 with the duty, shipping, and VAT collective nightmare. If I hadn't read all the excellent posts here about the break-in time I think I would have flung myself off of a tall building after hooking it up for the first time.

I think I hold the record on AA for the most 'el cheapo' system, and the ET3 has me thinking whether I'm just a low/mid-fi guy. What I mean is, when I first listened to it, I heard right away what a bonafide 'hi-end' component can sound like: holographic soundstage (awe-inspiring, really), high resolution, silky mids and highs. Yet, where was the rich, textured lower midrange and bass that the humble McIntosh has in spades? The ET3 sounded rather anaemic and dry, by comparison.

Certainly, with the ET3 hooked up it was like someone lifted a blanket off of the speakers. I can't believe the depth presented and the ability to 'see' so deeply into a recording. But, I kinda like the Mc sound which, I will admit, can't hold a candle to the detail and soundstaging of the ET3. I was actually running the McIntosh preamp through a tubed headphone amp to get some of that tube magic. My sister regarded that combination as 'magical'.

Anyway, I know it's early days yet. Oh, I'm finding that one moment the ET3 sounds warm and spacious, and then moments later it sounds bright and harsh. Really weird. And what's with that clickety, click volume control?!!

In summary, my first impression of the ET3 SE is one of respect, but not love.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Congratulations!

It will be a long ride, but enjoy it. One day it will be like, OMG! What just happened? It will sound awesome. The good thing about breaking in a preamp is you can leave it on 24x7 playing music without the amp being on. Have fun!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM

some changes take a while to grow on you. i have read you perceive more change in quality going downhill to lesser gear than going uphill to better. you can hear better early in the day also. so give it a while, let it break in and settle in, then listen to the et3 and then listen to your lesser piece of gear and tell us what you think
Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebunny View Post
Well, it's been here for about 24 hrs. It cost me almost $7500 with the duty, shipping, and VAT collective nightmare. If I hadn't read all the excellent posts here about the break-in time I think I would have flung myself off of a tall building after hooking it up for the first time.

I think I hold the record on AA for the most 'el cheapo' system, and the ET3 has me thinking whether I'm just a low/mid-fi guy. What I mean is, when I first listened to it, I heard right away what a bonafide 'hi-end' component can sound like: holographic soundstage (awe-inspiring, really), high resolution, silky mids and highs. Yet, where was the rich, textured lower midrange and bass that the humble McIntosh has in spades? The ET3 sounded rather anaemic and dry, by comparison.

Certainly, with the ET3 hooked up it was like someone lifted a blanket off of the speakers. I can't believe the depth presented and the ability to 'see' so deeply into a recording. But, I kinda like the Mc sound which, I will admit, can't hold a candle to the detail and soundstaging of the ET3. I was actually running the McIntosh preamp through a tubed headphone amp to get some of that tube magic. My sister regarded that combination as 'magical'.

Anyway, I know it's early days yet. Oh, I'm finding that one moment the ET3 sounds warm and spacious, and then moments later it sounds bright and harsh. Really weird. And what's with that clickety, click volume control?!!

Those relay clicks are what I consider now the equivalent of a '69 Z28 Camero with a 302 V8 with solid lifters Damn I liked the sound of that engine..and now I get to enjoy it once again in the comfort of my listening room! But as you, my initial reaction was... "are you kidding me? this can't possibly be correct".

..and I thought I'd Never in a million years admit it, but, I simply do, I've sat through 2 new CJ preamps and it's absolutely positively as you say. from day to day, hour to hour, things go from lovely to ugly...and it can take 100s of hours before lovely dominates things.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks very much for the encouragement! I'll definitely, be comparing when it breaks in!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
..and I thought I'd Never in a million years admit it, but, I simply do, I've sat through 2 new CJ preamps and it's absolutely positively as you say. from day to day, hour to hour, things go from lovely to ugly...and it can take 100s of hours before lovely dominates things.
Oh Gawd!

Okay, I'm going to ease up on those clicky things too.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Just leave it with music playing constantly for two weeks and will be over with most of the break in. You can turn your power amp on when you actually want to listen to music and turn the power amp off when you are not listening.

Don't worry, its will sound fabulous after two weeks of break in and will continue to improve slightly for month to come.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

You're describing exactly the issues with burning in components with Teflon caps; I know it is hard to fathom at some level, but trust us that have been down this road...it WILL get better. A LOT better. You'll need a bare minimum of 300-500 hours on your ET3 SE for it to start to open up. And about 1000 for it to finish burning in completely. As Joe says, it's a long, and also bumpy, ride....but it will smooth out at the end. PATIENCE is key...I'm in the process of burning in my Premier 350 amp as i write this. I'm up to 162 hours as of last night (I'm logging the hours daily).

You could do as Ronenash suggests, and leave it on 24/7 for 2-3 weeks...that will get it there the fastest; you have to have music going through it from a source to burn it in, but you can leave your amp off when not listening.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I'm doing as everyone has suggested and running the unit round the clock with a couple hours rest in-between. I promise not to freak-out and toss it out of the window.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I'm doing as everyone has suggested and running the unit round the clock with a couple hours rest in-between. I promise not to freak-out and toss it out of the window.
Just let me know which window and when