AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Default May have save some big bucks....

I may have saved myself some big bucks I was considering spending on either upgraded MBL speakers or possibly going with a pair of Maxx 3's. I have always had a bass issue (lack of) in my room no matter the speakers including JM Lab's,, Von Schweikerts, 802d's and my MBL 111e's. One of the reasons I purchased the MEN-220 was to try and address any issues caused by the ceiling in my room jumping by 15 inches (from 8' to about 9'6") half way across.

I just had pair of Real Traps added to the ceiling in my room. All of a sudden I have great bass. I do not know if the traps cleaned up highs that were bouncing around or prevent the bass from getting trapped in the high area, I do know it helped. Tomorrow I will try and rerun the Room Perfect. One interesting note, I usually listen at around 40-41 on my C-1000, with the Traps in place I have to bump that up to about 45-46 to get the same sound.

Someone is scheduled to drive over from Chicago to look at my speakers Saturday ( I think he may back crap out) and then on Tuesday my dealer was going to drop in some Maxx 3's for a few days. I spent a couple more hours listening to the 3's today but I have mixed feelings about them. After hearing the improvement these Real Traps made, I may have saved myself a chuck of change.
Jim
Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I may have saved myself some big bucks I was considering spending on either upgraded MBL speakers or possibly going with a pair of Maxx 3's. I have always had a bass issue (lack of) in my room no matter the speakers including JM Lab's,, Von Schweikerts, 802d's and my MBL 111e's. One of the reasons I purchased the MEN-220 was to try and address any issues caused by the ceiling in my room jumping by 15 inches (from 8' to about 9'6") half way across.

I just had pair of Real Traps added to the ceiling in my room. All of a sudden I have great bass. I do not know if the traps cleaned up highs that were bouncing around or prevent the bass from getting trapped in the high area, I do know it helped. Tomorrow I will try and rerun the Room Perfect. One interesting note, I usually listen at around 40-41 on my C-1000, with the Traps in place I have to bump that up to about 45-46 to get the same sound.

Someone is scheduled to drive over from Chicago to look at my speakers Saturday ( I think he may back crap out) and then on Tuesday my dealer was going to drop in some Maxx 3's for a few days. I spent a couple more hours listening to the 3's today but I have mixed feelings about them. After hearing the improvement these Real Traps made, I may have saved myself a chuck of change.
Jim
Ah, the miracles of bass traps/acoustic panels. Been there myself. Jim, what kind of gear is driving the Maxx 3s that you have mixed feelings about them? The bass is stupendous with Maxx 3 and Alexandria. Even the Sasha's made me forget my subs for the last few months. I took them out of the system.

Last edited by PHC1; 03-18-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Ah, the miracles of bass traps. Been there myself. Jim, what kind of gear is driving the Maxx 3s that you have mixed feelings about them? The bass is stupendous with Maxx 3 and Alexandria. Even the Sasha's made me forget my subs for the last few months. I took them out of the system.
The bass is fantastic on the Maxx's. Tight, musical, everything you could want.

I am now used to the sound of MBL's. Just as it took time to appreciate what an omni-directional speaker offers it could take time to go back to a traditional speaker. So everything I say is colored by my current state of thinking.

The mixed feelings come from the highs which are not as articulated as I like. The dealer notes that it is very possible that this could be mitigated by properly aligning the units in my room. Their clarity at times almost made the upper mid's seemed congested at times, but again that might be due to by current reference point. Please do not misunderstand, the Maxx's are great speakers, I am just not sure I am willing to pay the up-charge over my current set-up. Unfortunately, the only speakers I would consider are going to require that type of investment.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The bass is fantastic on the Maxx's. Tight, musical, everything you could want.

I am now used to the sound of MBL's. Just as it took time to appreciate what an omni-directional speaker offers it could take time to go back to a traditional speaker. So everything I say is colored by my current state of thinking.

The mixed feelings come from the highs which are not as articulated as I like. The dealer notes that it is very possible that this could be mitigated by properly aligning the units in my room. Their clarity at times almost made the upper mid's seemed congested at times, but again that might be due to by current reference point. Please do not misunderstand, the Maxx's are great speakers, I am just not sure I am willing to pay the up-charge over my current set-up. Unfortunately, the only speakers I would consider are going to require that type of investment.
There are many factors that could be involved from the setup of the highly adjustable Maxx3 (which you can also tune with custom padding resistors), the proper alignment of the head units in relationship to your listening distance and ear height, to the acoustics of the room itself, the way the speakers are positioned, gear involved, etc... One thing for sure, the Maxx 3 is a substantial investment, better be 100% sure you love it. If there are doubts, don't pull the trigger, try to get answers to the different questions you have about them. It may very well be that you are so used to the MBL speakers and their particulars that no other speaker other than MBL will do. That's why they make so many different speakers for different folks with different taste and preference. For me it is too late, I looove Wilson sound and have high expectations from the Maxx 3s when they finally arrive.

I won't be able to directly compare the Sasha's I've spent some time with to the Maxx3's in my system since the Maxx 3s are destined for my new listening room in a different house and the acoustics of the room will be completely different, much bigger room and extensively treated. But I would have really loved to try the Maxx3s in my current room so I can really compare and contrast their differences.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM

FWIW, since you have yet to uncover everything the MBL's have to offer, witnessed by the change the room treatments made, my vote would be to stay put. Changing to any new speaker will just bring about a new set of issues to deal with and get used to.

It is very easy when hanging around a place like this, where someone is buying something new every day, to get the mistaken feeling that you are missing something with your current setup, that only a major change can correct. Often, it is the little things, like your room treatments, that really need to be addressed.

I think you are on the right track with the MEN220 and the room treatments.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Jim
Glad to see you have found a new lease of life there Jim! I am hoping to do the same with my set up.

howie
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 AM

Jim, I have a bunch (10) of Real Traps in my living room, thank goodness Laura tolerates me! Anyway, I have a pair of HF Minitraps directly behind my Martin Logan Spire's and the presentation is superb with them behind the speaker. With a naked wall behind them, the reflected sound was "fuzzing" the image.

They slow down the rear wave a bit and focus the the image and widen the stage just a bit. If I had the room, I'd like to try a diffuser between them to hear the result. I could always move it directly behind me which I know I need at this point.

Gordon