AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

A lot to reply to. I believe the Sophia is a good deal more efficient that your current speakers. I know you like those speaker wires, but loosing that much gain has a pretty dramatic negative effect your system. To accommodate your wires it seems you need to design your whole system around them. Efficient speakers, at least twice as much amplifier output, etc. Seems to me that's backwards, the wires should complement the system. I'd worry about all that resistance subtracting something from the signal. I understand the goal of wire designers is to make their products as effortless as possible and thus transparent. No pun intended, but a good word. Loud for me is at 24 clicks. I believe our preamps have similar gain. Get a nice set of WW speaker wires from Ivan (I'm using Silver eclipse 7s) and double your amplifier power for free.

Yes, over the years I've had a P14, Act2, ActS2 and now GAT. I'm sure the ART monos would be an improvement but it's not a big deal for me at this point. So would Alexia for that matter. I considered the stereo ART but the considerable benefit of my monos is more than offset any small quality improvement with the ART stereo. As to power, I also have a c-j Premier 350 SS amp in the system and it's 700 wpc into 4 ohms doesn't seem to play any louder than my LP140s.

The WAF is always important. Just ask Debby W.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Bob, I do love the Magnan interconnects (2 pairs), but their highly resistive nature does seem to be pushing me away from a great pair of mini monitors & very good mono blocks. Your right, this does seem ass backwards. I'm only demoing the Magnan speaker cable, & they are copper and not resistive. Interesting that your LP140's seem to drive your Wilsons as well as the Pr 350; although I'm sure a very different sound. I too love the "you are there feeling" of the LP140's. I'm sure the LP275's give you even more of that feeling, but I wonder whether a GAT would provide more of an improvement over a power increase.
Thanks for the advice!
Regards,
John
Old 11-14-2013, 07:19 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinSC View Post
Bob, I do love the Magnan interconnects (2 pairs), but their highly resistive nature does seem to be pushing me away from a great pair of mini monitors & very good mono blocks. Your right, this does seem ass backwards. I'm only demoing the Magnan speaker cable, & they are copper and not resistive. Interesting that your LP140's seem to drive your Wilsons as well as the Pr 350; although I'm sure a very different sound. I too love the "you are there feeling" of the LP140's. I'm sure the LP275's give you even more of that feeling, but I wonder whether a GAT would provide more of an improvement over a power increase.
Thanks for the advice!
Regards,
John
Hi John,

First, you're a good guy not to take offense at a different opinion as so many do. The GAT is a world class preamp and nothing since has temped me to make a change. As to the difference in sound between the two amps... the LP140s have that tube presence and the P350 hits the strong bass lines with a bit more authority. There'a probably more difference in the bass area than it seems as tubes seem to boost the mid bass a bit offsetting the low bass advantage of the SS. They both sound great so if you're listening to the music, any difference is soon forgotten. Unless it's some music where the wonderful hall sound should give me cold chills... the LP140s are then missed.

Have fun,
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 11-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the kind words! Even though I've owned CJ tube gear for over 15 years, a tough work schedule didn't accommodate much listening to or learning about hi-end audio gear. I'm a neophyte and need all the advice I can get, especially since my CJ dealer went under a number of years ago. Actually, there isn't a good audio dealer in Charleston, SC, thereby prompting a drive to Atlanta for speakers last April.
Thanks again for the advice & enjoy that impressive system!
John
Old 11-13-2014, 09:56 PM

Hi CJinSC

How did the Magnan speaker cables work out for you?

I am considering a pair for use between a Krell FPB200c amp and Vienna Acoustics The Kiss speakers and am concerned that they may be slow sounding and lak dynamics.

There seem to be conflicting reviews about this online so your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks

Quote:
Hey Bob,
Thanks for the kind words! Even though I've owned CJ tube gear for over 15 years, a tough work schedule didn't accommodate much listening to or learning about hi-end audio gear. I'm a neophyte and need all the advice I can get, especially since my CJ dealer went under a number of years ago. Actually, there isn't a good audio dealer in Charleston, SC, thereby prompting a drive to Atlanta for speakers last April.
Thanks again for the advice & enjoy that impressive system!
John
Old 11-16-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8811 View Post
Hi CJinSC How did the Magnan speaker cables work out for you? I am considering a pair for use between a Krell FPB200c amp and Vienna Acoustics The Kiss speakers and am concerned that they may be slow sounding and lak dynamics. There seem to be conflicting reviews about this online so your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks
Hey Mikey,

I'm using the new Magnan Signature cables produced by Craig Buckles & have not found them to be slow or lacking dynamics with my CJ tube gear and Verity Audio Amadis. They have a nice relaxed presentation slightly behind the speaker plane with rich harmonics, great transparency, and plenty of detail but are not fatiguing in the least. The main drawback for me is that they are super thin copper ribbons, 5 inches in width, seemingly delicate, and are supposed to be placed side by side instead of stacked to get the best sound quality. Their rather ungainly appearance will not make you popular with the spouse!

Craig rebuilt a couple of older Magnan Signature (original Dave Magnan designed) interconnects for me as well, eliminating the high degree of resistance for which those cables were known, & my system is benefiting from the synergy between all Magnan cables from source to speaker. I am quite pleased at this point, & would urge you to give them a listen. Kyomi Audio in Chicago may be able to get you a demo pair. If not, I can get you in touch with Craig Buckes. Kyomi sold the speaker cables to me and said I would need to step up in price to Stealth Audio level to get a better sounding cable.

Regards,

John
conrad-johnson GAT, conrad-johnson LP140 monoblocks, McCormack SST-1 transport, SMc Audio Ultra DAC, Dynaudio Consequence C-1 mkii, Magnan Signature IC, Digital & speaker cables, Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper IC, Harmonic Technology Magic Link II IC, Timbernation custom audio rack with solid 3" walnut shelves
Old 11-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The main drawback for me is that they are super thin copper ribbons, 5 inches in width, seemingly delicate, and are supposed to be placed side by side instead of stacked to get the best sound quality. Their rather ungainly appearance will not make you popular with the spouse!
Did you use them with your Dynaudio C1's? If so do you have a photo of how they laid out there? I am testing a pair of Cardas Golden Reference and in their regular shape, 2.5m is just nice to be inobtrusive since my speakers are standmounts like your old C1's. I am wondering if the same length will do.

Your Verity Amadis are nice and together with your CJ setup very warm sounding. My system can be on the brighter side as Krell highs can be steely and bright. My current interconnects are Cardas Golden Cross and I am wondering about the match. I used to use Dynaudio Contour S3.4's and found the match a little on the bright side in terms of the highs before the Cardas Golden Cross.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8811 View Post
Did you use them with your Dynaudio C1's? If so do you have a photo of how they laid out there? I am testing a pair of Cardas Golden Reference and in their regular shape, 2.5m is just nice to be inobtrusive since my speakers are standmounts like your old C1's. I am wondering if the same length will do. Your Verity Amadis are nice and together with your CJ setup very warm sounding. My system can be on the brighter side as Krell highs can be steely and bright. My current interconnects are Cardas Golden Cross and I am wondering about the match. I used to use Dynaudio Contour S3.4's and found the match a little on the bright side in terms of the highs before the Cardas Golden Cross. Thanks
Mikey,

I did use the Magnan Signature speaker cable with the Dyns as well but do not have a photo of the connections. It was a good match with the Dyns. For awhile, I used the Signature speaker cable with an Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper interconnect and a Harmonic Technology Magic Link 2 interconnect, which produced nice sound, but paired with Magnan Signature interconnects I find the system smoother & more transparent. You definitely need to demo these cables in your system before plunking down the cash. A 15 ft pair of the Signature speaker cable with gold plated Cardas spades on one end & bananas on the other cost $2000 from Kyomi Audio in Chicago. While not inexpensive, they are reasonably priced for the sound quality. Call George at Kyomi and he may be able to answer your questions as to pairing with the Cardas interconnects. I imagine it would be a good match.

Regards,

John
conrad-johnson GAT, conrad-johnson LP140 monoblocks, McCormack SST-1 transport, SMc Audio Ultra DAC, Dynaudio Consequence C-1 mkii, Magnan Signature IC, Digital & speaker cables, Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper IC, Harmonic Technology Magic Link II IC, Timbernation custom audio rack with solid 3" walnut shelves
Old 11-26-2014, 03:50 PM

Hi CJinSC

I have written Kyomi Audio but have not heard back from them.

Is your Magnan Signature speaker cable the current ones with 3 leads to the termination (spade or banana) or the older one with the single lead? What is the bass depth like?

I was told the older version was somewhat lacking in bass.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Thanks

Last edited by mikey8811; 11-27-2014 at 03:06 PM.