AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 11-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Go Dawgs

I'd like to resurrect this thread to see if anyone can answer a more specific question, namely about the Astell & Kern portables.......my iPod Classics are pretty much full, not to mention the fact that just to see, I tried them on several new cars......turns out that the new BMWs and Mercedes Benz models do not support the Apple iPod Classic hardware, so even if I wasn't out of room, they won't work with the newer cars anyway which sucks. To make matters worse, my wife's new X5 and the newer Benz models DO NOT have a basic 3.5 mm AUX jack, so I guess you cannot use a portable DAP through the analog out either.

I really would love to try one of the A&K portables (since they can be expanded to 1 TB or so) but I can't seem to find out if they would be compatible if you used the USB output into the USB inputs on a standard car stock system. I've read through the manuals and they don't spell it out specifically, but several models state that if you press the "USB" icon button on the A&K menu, then it will output music into an appropriate USB input/DAC. Does anyone know if that's their way of saying that you can plug it into the car's USB jack and get music?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-19-2020, 10:42 PM
Go Dawgs

and no, I don't want to use Bluetooth.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-19-2020, 10:49 PM

Maybe this will help?

https://www.moon-audio.com/astellker...-compatibility
Old 11-19-2020, 10:53 PM

I usually listen to Tidal or Qobuz through the iPhone and usb in my vehicles. At home I would not use it either, hence no need for a high end DAP. Traveling I suppose it would be nice.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 PM
Go Dawgs

Thanks Serge....funny I read that article about 30 minutes before I posted....this is all they specifically say

“If your vehicle has a USB audio in/out, then our Silver Dragon USB cable would be a great choice as well. Make sure your vehicle manufacturer supports USB Audio before ordering. If you have the option, a cabled connection from your Astell&Kern DAP to your vehicle audio system is the way to go.”

It doesn’t really answer the question directly but I would assume that mean it works, I just wanted to see if any AA folks have any firsthand experience. Of course Music Direct is great so I suppose I could just return it if their sales folks don’t know.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Thanks Serge....funny I read that article about 30 minutes before I posted....this is all they specifically say

“If your vehicle has a USB audio in/out, then our Silver Dragon USB cable would be a great choice as well. Make sure your vehicle manufacturer supports USB Audio before ordering. If you have the option, a cabled connection from your Astell&Kern DAP to your vehicle audio system is the way to go.”

It doesn’t really answer the question directly but I would assume that mean it works, I just wanted to see if any AA folks have any firsthand experience. Of course Music Direct is great so I suppose I could just return it if their sales folks don’t know.
Yeah sorry can’t help further, never owned an A&K and my solution is to simply use my iPhone and Tidal or Qobuz via Apple car play and usb cable. It sounds as good as the car streo can handle.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Yeah sorry can’t help further, never owned an A&K and my solution is to simply use my iPhone and Tidal or Qobuz via Apple car play and usb cable. It sounds as good as the car streo can handle.
Yeah, I hear ya, I’m not as bad as with home audio but still have Focal Utopias, Audison electronics, McIntosh amplification and a JL Audio 13w7 in the car. It sounds awesome.

- Buck
Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Yeah, I hear ya, I’m not as bad as with home audio but still have Focal Utopias, Audison electronics, McIntosh amplification and a JL Audio 13w7 in the car. It sounds awesome.

- Buck
In that case it would make sense to optimize.