AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindoug View Post
Mikeyc. Yup a cartridge is next on my list, Probably an EMT (In fact just recently I foolishly purchased a used EMT HSD-6 on Audiogon (I figured this would be a good way to try one out) it was advertised as having less than 50 hours playtime. When I had the cartridge checked by Soundsmith they said the stylus was considerably worn and needed replacing. Of course no word from the seller when I tried to get a refund)

Doug
aawww, bummer dude! That's just terrible. I hope you didn't pay too much for it and that you can get a refund.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Yes those 755EX intrigue me as well.
I've compared the LM and O/96, both were wonderful speakers but very different. The LM were being driven by LM gear and these speakers as you know are single driver field coil with no crossovers so the sound was very "pure" sounding, fast and more forward. They're very similar to my Japanese single driver Coral Beta 8s which are 101 db so I was very comfortable with the sound. My only quibble is that they're light in the bottom end and don't have the weight of the O/96s. Their mid range is very sweet and they would simply excel with small jazz ensembles or vocals. Also with a single driver, it may start to sound congested or muddled with complex music like large scale Classical or Rock.

The O/96 were being driven by Shindo gear and in typical Devore fashion these are extremely well balanced and even handed speakers. They don't do much wrong and have probably the best bottom end of any Devores that I've ever heard (including the Silverbacks and the 9s). However, in comparison to the LMs and my Corals the highs were not as "direct" sounding and almost sounded rolled off in comparison. These speakers can work well with any type of music and can rock out if needed. So given they're so different sounding, I think it will come down to personal taste and the type of music you listen to.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM

Default line magnetic

Mikey
thanks for your comments.
i wonder how your impressions/comparisons of the two would have changed if both driven by the same electronics.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM

Mikeyc- Enjoyed reading your comments, thanks for the mini review! I have not heard the LM's, but do own the 0/96's. They are a good fit for me, because of the virtues you mentioned. You really captured their strengths well in your description. Your last sentence says it all BTW. Personal taste, type of music.... I think this all makes a good case for people having more than one system. Cheers-Don
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Larry, a silly statement..

I understand you have to feel good about your recent purchase of the O96's (excellent speakers, no question) but to compare the
O/96 to Lafite is like comparing DSLR to a rangefinder camera..

** Both capable of extraordinary results but completely different in their design intent/goals. **

To mention that the best alternative to the Lafite is the O/96 is completely missing the point of the Lafite and the words written by Shindoug.

All single driver speakers are more directional than two way designs..

So do most speakers. Yours did..

Care and attention to setup is crucial, and I would expect
nothing less from a high performance product.

completely false.

eh?

They actually work great in small rooms, near field setup, as well.

-M
Just having a bit of fun, sorry if my conclusion caused your blood to boil a bit...I might even trade UP to the Lafites one day, if I could find the time to make it to San Fran. for a serious listen.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 AM

The problem for me with these small single driver speakers is that I always end up wondering whether one cannot get the same or better sound from a pair of Quad ESL 57s (properly updated, of course) and cheaper amplification (far cheaper, actually). From both of these types you get limited frequency response at both ends and limited dynamics but a true point source with amazing coherency, tone, and ability to carry a tune (57s not exactly a true point source but 63s are...but close enough).

ShinDoug, I don't remember reading anything about how this speaker handles different types of music. I suspect the speed of the field coil over permanent magnets helps defray the common problem with this type of speaker in handling complex music and also in presenting an effortless sound (something I have heard with other field coils). Is that true?

Congrats. I have not heard the Lafite but I am sure it is marvelous sounding. And I agree with you...buy a speaker for what it does and don't buy for what little it may not do.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:22 PM

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
+1...first class

Dave

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Thanks guys, for the compliments. The wood is pau ferro, the same as Matt's Latours.

I think my biggest surprise has been just how good the bass is. Not tubby in my room. They are extremely clear, fast, holographic, lively, and very musical.

I sit only 7 or 8 feeet from the speakers and I notice the directionality only when I stand up and move to a point that I can't see the driver. Even in this near field position you can still pinpoint every instrument/voice/sound in good recordings. My other speakers are Harbeth c-7s and while very good, don't have the clarity or this 3D ability to pinpoint sound like these single driver speakers do. Of course this is an area where single drivers are supposed to excel. As mentioned, the Lafite bass is more controlled and tuneful with the Lafite outperforming the C-7s, IMO.

I set out on a journey for an all Shindo system and I am extremely satisfied with the Lafite. Even more so after being able to hear the Latour at Matt's Greenhaus. The astonishing realism of either Shindo speaker will grab your attention.

Thank you Doug, for your post! (and advice)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Just having a bit of fun, sorry if my conclusion caused your blood to boil a bit...I might even trade UP to the Lafites one day, if I could find the time to make it to San Fran. for a serious listen.
Not a problem, I'm a bit serious when it comes to this stuff, since I do it for a living..

-M
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
[/B]

Thanks guys, for the compliments. The wood is pau ferro, the same as Matt's Latours.

I set out on a journey for an all Shindo system and I am extremely satisfied with the Lafite.

Yep, they are all cut from the same cloth - which one is right for you, will depend on your room size. In my room where the Big Latour excel, the smaller Lafite will sound much smaller in comparison... all relative.

The big Latour have a large scale musical presence/effortless quality that no small driver can achieve.

It goes without saying that in a compact listening room, a small driver/cabinet will be more at home and produce immediately apparent satisfying results.

I'm planning on having another Greenhaus based around Lafite.

-M
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Hi Matt

Would the Lafite work in my listening room which is a living room/dining room combination which measures approx. 13 feet by 28 feet? I use about 13 by 14 of it as a listening area. The room also has two openings to other rooms (5.5ft opening on opposite wall of speakers and a 3 foot opening on side wall near left speaker)

I normally play music at low to moderate listening levels.

Larry