AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-10-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
That looks impressive Charles - how many months wait time, 5? Just trying to get a benchmark on my 1502. Congratulations on your new and, and patience.
FWIW, I'm 20 weeks in on my 1502 order.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 04-10-2022, 09:40 PM

��
Old 04-11-2022, 01:10 AM

Brian, thank you so much. As I mentioned I am about done. New speakers? No

New amps? No. New connections of any kind? No. New Mac pre or source? No. New cabinet? No. More isolation gear? No.

I need a new updated Wilson electronic crossover which will be purchased soon. Plan is to enjoy until my hearing goes which I hope will be for a long time. Then sell.

Fortunately, I have never been one to go for the latest cord, cable, or power conditioner. I am at a logical conclusion.

I have been on AA for a long time. When I began I never dreamed I'd have the money to buy an XVX. I began with an XRT 30, then a Maxx3, then an Alexx, then the XVX.

And I have been so fortunate to have the opportunity to buy what I consider possibly the best tube amp on the planet. I can tell the 3500's are just breaking in. They are fabulous.

It's interesting that on the amp itself nowhere does it say "Mk II". It just says "MC3500 Tube Power Amplifier". I think that says it all about what Mac thinks about this amplifier. They consider it to be the 3500.

Many folks rationalize that Mac is just for the "rich" doctors or lawyers that know nothing about the high end and just want to show off.

I know better. Mac is full of top engineers. I know this for a fact. When you buy a Mac you get 70 years of some of the best engineering on the planet.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 04-11-2022 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Many folks rationalize that Mac is just for the "rich" doctors or lawyers that know nothing about the high end and just want to show off.

I know better. Mac is full of top engineers. I know this for a fact. When you buy a Mac you get 70 years of some of the best engineering on the planet.

Best

Charles
Totally agree Charles
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-15-2022, 06:18 AM

Charles,
How are the 3500’s doing since they have been in the system for about a week? Any idea how many hours you have on them?

They have probably contributed to a few semi-sleepless nights HAHA!! Your system is amazing! I am really happy for you sir!!
Old 04-15-2022, 09:22 PM

Tony, thank you so much. The 3500's continue to improve, but they were so good right out of the box, the improvement is not dramatic. But there continues to be definite improvemet. My audiophile friend came over on Wednesday. We had a 2.5 hour intense listening session. He told me on his way over, he was trying to think how there could be any room for improvement, as the 1.25KW's did a "fantastic" job on the XVX.

There's more bass bloom with the 3500's, no question. He called me today after listening to his system, he has a fine one, he's extremely experienced and knows more audio than me. He said that with the 1.25's his system sounded more like mine than with the 3500's, particularly in the bass, which is not fat, bloated, or boomy, but fuller and more "rounded". It goes deeper.

When the Alexx V appeared with the new tweeter, I asked about the XVX vs. Alexx V treble. "Still not in the same league," was my friend at Wilson's response, whose is intimately familiar with both. You simply must hear the cymbals on the XVX through the 3500's. Every cymbal strike is subtly different and the sweetness, delicacy, and decay makes you want to cry on some recordings.

The mids, especially the vocals are more focused with more depth, more anchored and resolved. I sat in the right seat and the vocals never wavered from the center or changed character. The soundstage never collapsed. The sound staging capabilities, outstanding/remarkable.

The dynamics are incredible. You can turn the volume up, and up, and up....no strain or compression. It's exhilarating to say the least.

I think the 1.25KW's are about as good as SS can manage. I know there are some who will disagree but they really do a fantastic job driving the XVX, but the 3500 is the stronger of the two by a significant margin.

The above pic shows off the exemplary industrial design of the 3500. My Mac friend reassured me when I expressed my concern that I could not comply with the 6" space between amps requirement in the OM. He said the amps are convection cooled from the bottom up. Note the ventilation columns between the tubes. The 3500's run comfortably warm, cages never ever become remotely uncomfortable to lay the palm on. My friend was very high on the layout and mechanical design of the 3500.

The meters seem perfectly calibrated.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 04-15-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:23 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
prepress, Yes same address, they are a great store. I have known my dealer who is not the owner and also the owner for years. The amps arrived on Tuesday and were installed on Thursday am. I am fortunate that they sell my gear: Wilson, McIntosh, and Audio Quest. I was the first XVX they ever sold. I think they have sold 2 or 3 since. They sell a lot of Mac but my 3500's are the first.

I can't explain it but I knew I had to have them. I've never had any interest in tubes for 40 years. I bought them the day I heard about them 11/15/2021.

They make a gorgeous sound, not what I expected. It you have a system on the analytical side and you want more warmth, bloom, or treble roll off, don't look here. These babies have dynamism and slam in spades. They are incredibly powerful, muscular, visceral. They handle the XVX with supreme ease. They are quick. They have remarkable pace. They are neutral. They are a perfect match for the XVX.

I think with the 3500's you experience what solid silver IC's, cords, and speaker cables can truly deliver; an amazingly resolved, delicate, neutral presentation, with great soundstage width, depth, and beautiful vocals perfect in height and presence, neither forward or recessed, and never burn the ears. Vocals have amazing resolution.

Best

Charles
"Had to have them." No explanation needed. I had that same reaction when I saw the Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD plasma back in the day. It was better than anything else in the store to my eyes, and served me well from 2008 until 2020, when I donated it back to the store for a special program they had for needy families and got a Sony A9G OLED; not because I was unhappy with the Pioneer, but I simply wanted a larger screen. Had I the space I'd have kept the Pioneer.

Your 3500s give you great sound and it sounds like you'd never need to replace them. Plus, they look very cool. You also have the not-too-shabby 1.2kw amps as back-ups should the 3500s ever need to go for repair. I'd say you're all set.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 04-17-2022, 05:06 AM

prepress, you hit the nail on the head, especially with me. The XVX was the difficult purchase because it was so expensive. When I first saw it I knew I had to have it, if it would fit in my room. I think most folks on the Wilson Forum were quite surprised, including Wilson, but it turned out to be the best purchase of any material object I have made. I was even ready to buy it without spikes. Wilson wound up making me custom Acoustic Diodes, if you can believe it.

I want to say a bit about the 1.25's. First it does a superb job on my Thor. Also I think it provides about the best solid state presentation there is. I know there will be disagreement but the 1.25 is a great solid state amp. I will never sell mine. They will become part of my estate.

The presentation of the 3500's is simply different. It is the stronger of the two amps. If you have the money and the ancillary gear, buy the 3500. However, if I had to choose between the two, it would be the 1.25 because of the reliability concern. That's me. If you have no concern about reliability, I would choose the 3500.

But you can't go wrong with either amp. For ultimate performance, I think tubes surpass solid state. Not even Mac can do the impossible. If you like a warm, fuzzy, relaxed, comforting presentation, the 3500's aren't for you. However, as the amps continue to burn in, they are becoming slightly more relaxed and warm.

The amps are as smooth and liquid as they can be, but they are neutral, perfect for an XVX. They exude power and control but with a gorgeous overall sound with absolutely amazing resolution.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 04-17-2022 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:44 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
prepress, you hit the nail on the head, especially with me. The XVX was the difficult purchase because it was so expensive. When I first saw it I knew I had to have it, if it would fit in my room. I think most folks on the Wilson Forum were quite surprised, including Wilson, but it turned out to be the best purchase of any material object I have made. I was even ready to buy it without spikes. Wilson wound up making me custom Acoustic Diodes, if you can believe it.

I want to say a bit about the 1.25's. First it does a superb job on my Thor. Also I think it provides about the best solid state presentation there is. I know there will be disagreement but the 1.25 is a great solid state amp. I will never sell mine. They will become part of my estate.

The presentation of the 3500's is simply different. It is the stronger of the two amps. If you have the money and the ancillary gear, buy the 3500. However, if I had to choose between the two, it would be the 1.25 because of the reliability concern. That's me. If you have no concern about reliability, I would choose the 3500.

But you can't go wrong with either amp. For ultimate performance, I think tubes surpass solid state. Not even Mac can do the impossible. If you like a warm, fuzzy, relaxed, comforting presentation, the 3500's aren't for you. However, as the amps continue to burn in, they are becoming slightly more relaxed and warm.

The amps are as smooth and liquid as they can be, but they are neutral, perfect for an XVX. They exude power and control but with a gorgeous overall sound with absolutely amazing resolution.

Best

Charles
Reading this reply, I'm even more convinced you won't be upgrading. One thing I do wonder is whether the 2KW would be more of a challenger to the 3500s than the 1.25KW. That question, I'm fairly confident to say, is moot for you.

As to the reliability factor, for a long time I was a solid-state person, remembering the occasional horror stories about catastrophic tube failure in amps and what that could do. Even the C2300 preamp I have wouldn't have been on my radar but for the high praise it got on AA. I eventually broke down and got one. Last month marked its 9th anniversary in my system. Your delightful praise of the 3500s does make me curious, but I don't have the funds for them or the 1.25Ks. You needed a strong amp to drive those XVXs, and you've got it in the 3500s. Big congratulations on finding them and the obvious improvement you're experiencing. Let's also hope the supply chain and other related issues resolve so that there will be tubes readily available when you need replacements.

Last point, I think your 3500s are the most elegant-looking tube amp I've seen, design-wise, and especially with the cages on. Their streamlined look would complement any system. If I had the money and no reliability concerns, their looks alone could win me over. The 2301 looks clunky by comparison. Enjoy your music in the best of health; you've got the system for it, definitely.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 04-17-2022, 09:49 PM

Well Charles,

looks from your comments, the 3500's are an offering to look no further to
(for Mc Folks anyway).

Your sharing of the details of your journey to the 3500's is greatly appreciated!

John