AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 06-12-2015, 03:06 PM

What an excellent system you have. My congratulations!

You wrote that you auditioned Klimax DS+Twin combination. Did you compare Klimax DS+Twin and Klimax DSM+Twin combinatons?

P.S. I agree that the biggest impact on soundquality usually comes from a source.
By the way, Linn amps need many many hours (I think around 200-300) to reach their best "form".
Old 06-13-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanks dubselect, and welcome to AA!

I auditioned at home a KDS and Twin using an Akurate Kontrol preamp, then purchased the KDSM and Twin based on that audition. Going from my old Akurate DS to the Klimax was the biggest improvement.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanks Antonmb.

Linn Klimax streamer is extremely musical and sounds a lot like analogue sources, in my opinion.
I can't imagine that the new version sounds even better... It seems impossible.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:17 PM

In what way does the balanced and single ended outputs of a Klimax sound different ?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 07-12-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
In what way does the balanced and single ended outputs of a Klimax sound different ?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Balanced is smoother, single ended is punchier. No great surprise given the circuit differences. Obviously this is dependant on using the same cables, as the Klimax shows some sensitivity to IC cables.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Balanced is smoother, single ended is punchier. No great surprise given the circuit differences. Obviously this is dependant on using the same cables, as the Klimax shows some sensitivity to IC cables.
Glisse, you've clearly had some experience with the Klimax gear, what cables have you used? I'm presently using Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference XLRs but am considering a change. My speaker cables are AZ Satori. I've considered Shunyata Conra or Python Ztron, possibly both speaker and IC, but am not sure if they would be a good match. I've also looked at staying with Acoustic Zen and upgrading to their Absolute Copper.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 AM

Tony,

Am currently using AQ Wild Blu Yonder XLR, was using the same cable single ended for a few months.

But have also used Shunyata Z-Anaconda XLR, and this is very close to the AQ. I use Z-Python speaker cables from my Klimax amps to SF Guarneri Evo, and am very happy with them.

I also used Shunyata Stratos, but preferred Anaconda. AQ Colorado sounded flat and "grey". The Linn Silver cables (single ended) that came with the amps sounded very ordinary to my ears. The AQ and Shunyata cables were both significantly better. The Linn may have sounded slightly warmer, but was much less transparent.

So Shunyata Z signal cables work well with Klimax gear in my experience. I also use Shunyata (Alpha series) power cables, and the whole Zitron thing does seem to "scale up" if that makes sense. The Klimax DSM is quite resolving, so small changes are obvious. Best to use speaker placement or Room Optimisation to adjust tonal balance than try using cables as tone controls for the Klimax gear.

I do have Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, but these are in retirement in my cable cupboard. Not familiar with their IC cables. I find the Shunyata Python SC to be much more balanced than the Satori with SF speakers, and I suspect you will prefer the top end of the Klimax/Cremona with the Python cables. Ideal to try them first if you are able, of course.

There has been some suggestion that Shunyata may be about to revise their signal cable line. I am not sure if this is correct.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Glisse, thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful. Have you had any experience with Wireworld with the Klimax?
Old 07-14-2015, 06:24 PM

No Tony, I don't.

I do use WW Platinum digital cables in some systems, but obviously not for Klimax. It could be that Silver Eclipse IC/SC works well given the general comments of many here, Platinum even better considering it is similar pure silver gauge to AQ Wild Blu Yonder, although very different geometry. Not cheap though. WW Gold might be a bit "thin" to use with Klimax - could nudge the sound in the analytical direction?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 PM

I am using Bertram Cuprio 3-m interconnects between Klimax DSM and my active speakers. They are very very musical and smooth to my ears. I hear absolutely no harshness or graininess. The sound is warm and soft, but still dynamic and articulate.

Cardas Clear interconnects are worth checking too. Very transparent and clear sound.