AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-11-2009, 06:49 AM

I certainly asked the right people ... wow! ... Thanks everyone for your wonderful insights and shared experiences. I have made a listing of the aforementioned names, etc. to assist me in my replacement search of the albums I would like to own.

Thank You!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Quick follow up ... regarding the purchase of *all analog tape to LP* and *True analog Master Tape (AMT)*

Are these pressing specifications written on the record cover?
If not, how can one be certain that you are buying analog to LP vinyl?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Channel View Post
Quick follow up ... regarding the purchase of *all analog tape to LP* and *True analog Master Tape (AMT)*

Are these pressing specifications written on the record cover?
If not, how can one be certain that you are buying analog to LP vinyl?
Well, I'll grab a few and tell you what they say. For the most part, I'm enrolled in several distributions of vinyl -- in their solitations, they were emphatic in stating all the releases will be from the original master analog tapes. One, in specific, musicmattersjazz, is mastered by Steve Hoffman. He's an individual who, for the most part, will not do any mastering if it isn't from the original (there could be some exceptions -- i.e., the original is no longer available -- I recall a warehouse fire in California which damaged a many originals of many generes).

So, I just pulled the following:

Rickie Lee Jones, Its Like This, 180g, 45rpm, 2LP set -- does not state anywhere it's from the analog tapes. However, the respectible retailer has it on their web page, as cut from the original master tape & mastered by Kevin Gray (works w/Steve Hoffman) at RTI.

John Coltrane, Giant Steps, 180g, 45rpm, 2 LP set -- set has a sticker on the box stating "mastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog master tapes." Also pressed at RTI on 180g vinyl, Limited number edition of 2500 sets worldwide.

Roy Orbison, The All-Time Greatest Hits of,, 180g, 33rpm, S&P Records -- back cover states "produced and mastered by Steve Hoffman." Front sticker states 180g + pure virgin vinyl, Analogue pressing. The distributor states "The All-Time Greatest Hits of Roy Orbison - Re-Mastered for the First Time from the Actual Original Master Tapes!"

Eva Cassidy, Songbird, 180g, 33rpm, S&P records -- identical to the Roy Orbison album.

Van Morrison, Moondance, 180g, 33rpm -- the distributor states "Original Analog Tapes by Kevin Grey at Acoustech and Pressed on 180g RTI vinyl!" Nothing on the album except for a RTI 180g vinyl pressing sticker.

So, the above are examples -- and there is no clear cut way to know without some sort of "give away" sticker on the plastic album cover. If I see an album with a RTI sticker, 180g -- I'd probably be correct 98% of the time that it came from the original analog master.

Do your research on albums & when in doubt, call a distributor & inquire.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Listener in Training

Today there are some terrific pressings that sound flawless. The primary problem with my old LPs is the wear and tear they received in the 60s & 70s. That's before you get to recording & mastering quality. A few, however, do sound tremendous. These tend to be LPs that were at the tail end of the LP era and got less play.

I recently scored a sealed 180g disc of Avalon by Roxy Music that seems to be out of print. I had the LP back in '82, the CD a couple years later, and the 5.1 SACD re-release of a couple years ago. I love the SACD in 5.1, but get just as much pleasure from the vinyl's smooth and non fatiguing sound. It's a favorite album and a great reference point.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Chief Toneologist

Considering the rate of noise, off-centers, etc., I think it's safe to double the price of new vinyl (i.e. on average, you get a good record for every defective one). Frankly, it's one of the things that's keeping me from investing more in vinyl - paying $30 for an off-center, wobbly disc.

Before the MDA1K, I felt I had no choice - but now ...

Alberto
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Considering the rate of noise, off-centers, etc., I think it's safe to double the price of new vinyl (i.e. on average, you get a good record for every defective one). Frankly, it's one of the things that's keeping me from investing more in vinyl - paying $30 for an off-center, wobbly disc.

Before the MDA1K, I felt I had no choice - but now ...

Alberto
Buy vintage and avoid those "Mom & Pop" labels with the off center holes.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:25 PM

I just bought 2 brand new LP's of all places at the Barnes and Noble book store at the mall. They had quite a few LP's, the ones I remember were Nora Jones, Cold Play, Michael Jackson, Queen, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, U2, Jimi Hendrix and many more. I am listening to Nora Jones 180 gm for $14.99 - 20 % new and the detail is amazing, imaging superb. Speaking of quality my technic turntable and AT440MLA cart. set up rivals my MCD500 on this album. I bought Coldplay- Parachutes also 180 gm audiophile limited edition for $15 as well. I went to the store for a couple of Patricia Barber cd's which they were holding for me when I saw the rack of LP's for sale. Needless to say, since I discovered the LP's there I paid my $25 for the Barnes and Noble membership which works for the online store as well. As Arnold says...I'll be back.

Last edited by 1KW; 04-19-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
Buy vintage and avoid those "Mom & Pop" labels with the off center holes.
Greg.......I can appreciate your comment, but buying vintage is no assurance of a quality pressing simply because it is vintage. Back at the peak of my vinyl buying days (1980) I had a vinyl collection that exceeded 1500 albums. There was a record store in Portland, Oregon (wish I could remember the name), but they came to know me very well, not only because I spent a fair amount of money there, but also because I returned an average of three out of five albums (60%) for defects. The defects ranged from off center holes, pops and ticks that exceeded acceptability, and warps (some minor, some ski jumps). It finally got to a point where the store owner would open my albums before purchase. He would place them on his turntable behind the counter, and spin them for me to insure no warps or off center holes. I always witnessed this, but never allowed his stylus to touch my vinyl. Once this policy was implimented my returns to the store dropped dramatically. There were times when the owner had to open as many as three albums to find a flat one.

In the hay day of vinyl, the recording companies, and the lacquer masterer and stamper producers were doing a fair job, but the stamping factories were not paying close enough attention to quality. Albums were being sleeved before they were cooled enough, shrink wrapped too tightly causing torquing of the album covers and warpage, then cased and stacked with little care. All of this lead to a less than perfect product being sold to the consumer. Granted, I am a very particular individual, and expect to receive exactly what I am paying for, but some, in my opinion the majority, don't give a hoot. The albums play, and that is all they are concerned about. I have known people who shuffled vinyl albums, out of there jackets and sleeves, like they were a deck of playing cards. It would raise the hair on my neck to watch it.

I said all this simply to point out that vintage album purchases, in and of themselves, are no guarantee of quality, or immunity from defects.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-19-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Greg.......I can appreciate your comment, but buying vintage is no assurance of a quality pressing simply because it is vintage. Back at the peak of my vinyl buying days (1980) I had a vinyl collection that exceeded 1500 albums. There was a record store in Portland, Oregon (wish I could remember the name), but they came to know me very well, not only because I spent a fair amount of money there, but also because I returned an average of three out of five albums (60%) for defects. The defects ranged from off center holes, pops and ticks that exceeded acceptability, and warps (some minor, some ski jumps). It finally got a point where the store owner would open my albums before purchase. He would place them on his turntable behind the counter, and spin them for me to insure no warps or off center holes. I always witnessed this, but never allowed his stylus to touch my vinyl. Once this policy was implimented my returns to the store dropped dramatically. There were times when the owner had to open as many as three albums to find a flat one.

In the hay day of vinyl, the recording companies, and the lacquer masterer and stamper producers were doing a fair job, but the stamping factories were not paying close enough attention to quality. Albums were being sleeved before they were cooled enough, shrink wrapped too tightly causing torquing of the album covers and warpage, then cased and stacked with little care. All of this lead to a less than perfect product being sold to the consumer. Granted, I am a very particular individual, and expect to receive exactly what I am paying for, but some, in my opinion the majority, don't give a hoot. The albums play, and that is all they are concerned about. I have known people who shuffled vinyl albums, out of there jackets and sleeves, like they were a deck of playing cards. It would raise the hair on my neck to watch it.

I said all this simply to point out that vintage album purchases, in and of themselves, are no guarantee of quality, or immunity from defects.
Good points there Dan, but one advantage when buying used is that I can inspect the LP for deformities & scratches. I can't do that with a new sealed in plastic LP. I also like my vinyl recordings to be done using analog tape vs any digital process because the sound is not right with digital recordings that wind up being pressed into LP's. I know, I'm probably the only guy that's has issues with this type of thing. I suspect that it has something to do with the timing in the digital process(?) but I'm not sure. Of course, if a person did buy a new record and it had scratches or was warped hopefully the vendor would give a even exchange or their money back.
I got really lucky with buying used LP's because the owner of that used bookstore rejects any records that are in bad shape to begin with and only accepts near mint condition LP's for sale.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Back on Black is the worst!!!! I won't buy anything new unless it is from a small indie label that is doing it for the love of the format... Back on Black is just trying to cash in on the resurgence... Horrible. MoFi is pretty good at what they do, so I can rest easy after purchasing some of their stuff. But old, original pressings are where it's at! I found Michael Jackson - Off The Wall at an antique market in absolute pristine condition, literally an 11/10, and it sounds better than anything that has come out this new millenium whether new release or re-release. SO I would say original is the way to go.

I agree with what gregswaim said... Stay from any vinyl with anything in digital at one stage or another. Also japanese pressings, even on CD are usually better. Pricier but worth it.