AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:01 PM

Default Mac mini Setup

Hey folks,

I'm looking for advice on how best to configure my digital listening expericence. I have and I'm loving my two channel tube/vinyl focused system, but since I have a vast collection of digital music I would like the option to listen to it on occasion.

I have purchased my DAC and I want to use a headless Mac mini. I was thinking of using Jriver after doing some research.

I welcome advice on any of the following...

1) how to best setup Mac mini for headless operation, was going to use a dedicated iPad mini for music selection.
2) folks thoughts on Jriver vs others...
3) Any general advice on making the digital listening more enjoyable on a mac.

Thanks!

Darren

--
Shindo Montille CV391 (Stereo Amplifier)
Shindo Masseto (Preamplifier)
Well Tempered Versalex (Turntable)
Auditorium 23 (Step up Transformer)
EMT TSD15 (Moving Coil Cartridge)
AcousticPlan Digimaster (DAC)
Apple Mac mini (Digital Source)
Living Voice IBX-RW (Speakers)
Shindo Mr. T (Transformer)
Auditorium 23 (Interconnect and Speaker Cables)
Box HD3E (Furniture)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:26 AM

I believe I created a thread on OS X optimisations to disable background processes. I will need to dig it up.

In a pinch, both AudirvanaPlus and Amarra 3.x have built in scripts/wizards/settings that will do the same.

The idea is to disable the IR, Spotlight, Finder and anything else running in the background so all the OS is doing is serving music.

You would need a monitor and keyboard and mouse initially to set up the Mac Mini. You would need to install JRiver and optimize the OS, plus some housekeeping shown below.

My suggestions would also be to:
a. turn on Screen Sharing
If you are using JRiver or any application, there will be occasions when the app stops responding. The only way to get it to work is to connect up a keyboard and mouse to it OR use Screen Sharing.

On the iPad, use a VNC screen sharing app to gain access to the Mac Mini - or use another Mac/MacBook to connect to the Mac Mini. Check that it works before disconnecting the screen and keyboard.

b. turn off Bluetooth

c. turn off IR

d. turn off Spotlight/Spaces/Dashboard
Old 07-05-2015, 05:30 AM

I have been using the UltraFi guide to optimize the MacOS installation for music playback.

But the UltraFi guide is now no longer free and I don't think I should reproduce it. Besides, the guide was originally designed for their specific USB-DAC and some of the stuff are either obsolete (no need to disable Rosetta or force 64 bit when you run Lion or newer) or not applicable if you are using something like Pure Music or Audirvana Plus.

So I thought we could find some of the resources online that are freely available and consolidate this as a knowledge-base.

Start COPY from the following and add to it if you have something to share. I am particularly keen to see what Mach2Music or the new Mojo Mac Packages do

------START COPY-------

1. Disable Spotlight
Apple/System Preferences/Spotlight
Manually uncheck all the items inside.

2. Disable IR
Apple/System Preferences/Security/Advanced (you need to click on the Lock to unlock the Advanced button)

3. Disable iTunesHelper
Apple/System Preferences/Users
Click on the user account that you log on with
Click Login Items
Click on iTunesHelper
Use the '-' button to remove it from running on start up
I usually use the '+' button to start Audirvana Plus (which then also starts iTunes with iTunes Integration enabled)

4. Disabling Dashboard Spaces and Mission Control
Mac OS X: Disable Mission Control and Spaces | defaults-write.com

5. Enable Finder Quit
Adding 'Quit' option to OS X Finder | defaults-write.com

6. Disable Dashboard
Disable Dashboard in Mac OS X | defaults-write.com

7. Disable time machine too.

8. Disable energy saver I would think too.

9. Turn off bluetooth and wireless networking if you dont need them too.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:23 AM

I have not done any of these things and my mac mini has been flawless as a music server. I use a halide usb to coax bridge to my dac. I control the screenless mac mini using "chicken of the VNC" program or my ipad/iphone. For software you can use itunes/pure music for HD files and redbook. You can also control with sonos software for other zones.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Darren, I would use Audirvana over JRiver. I've tried both and oddly enough JRiver SQ was lower than Audirvana.
Use the free trial period to try both and make your choice. I've tried Amarra and it was on par with Audirvana. I found the later to be easier to setup and use.

If you really want to push things to the next level, you should consider :
- moving to a LPSU, I have a Terradak which is great value for the price.
- install a Schiit Wyrd on the USB going to the DAC
- removing the HDD and install the OS on a SD card. This is even superior to installing an SSD. All my music is on an external server
- Remove bluetooth, Wifi, IR, internal speaker from the motherboard.

I've created a threat on this a while back. I've sorted the list in order of impact on the sound. I have still to do any changes to the software and use scripts.

On my to do is also to take of the fan which is one of the biggest noise generator (electrical not auditive). However, I haven't found a good way to make the mini fanless and I've been busy with other projects lately.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Darren, I would use Audirvana over JRiver. I've tried both and oddly enough JRiver SQ was lower than Audirvana. Use the free trial period to try both and make your choice. I've tried Amarra and it was on par with Audirvana. I found the later to be easier to setup and use. If you really want to push things to the next level, you should consider : - moving to a LPSU, I have a Terradak which is great value for the price. - install a Schiit Wyrd on the USB going to the DAC - removing the HDD and install the OS on a SD card. This is even superior to installing an SSD. All my music is on an external server - Remove bluetooth, Wifi, IR, internal speaker from the motherboard. I've created a threat on this a while back. I've sorted the list in order of impact on the sound. I have still to do any changes to the software and use scripts. On my to do is also to take of the fan which is one of the biggest noise generator (electrical not auditive). However, I haven't found a good way to make the mini fanless and I've been busy with other projects lately.
Good post! I came to the same conclusion regarding Audirvana versus JRiver when running Mac. On a PC based system JRiver is very good but for Mac right now Audirvana is really superior.

Best, JR
Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I have been using the UltraFi guide to optimize the MacOS installation for music playback.

But the UltraFi guide is now no longer free and I don't think I should reproduce it. Besides, the guide was originally designed for their specific USB-DAC and some of the stuff are either obsolete (no need to disable Rosetta or force 64 bit when you run Lion or newer) or not applicable if you are using something like Pure Music or Audirvana Plus.

So I thought we could find some of the resources online that are freely available and consolidate this as a knowledge-base.

Start COPY from the following and add to it if you have something to share. I am particularly keen to see what Mach2Music or the new Mojo Mac Packages do

------START COPY-------

1. Disable Spotlight
Apple/System Preferences/Spotlight
Manually uncheck all the items inside.

2. Disable IR
Apple/System Preferences/Security/Advanced (you need to click on the Lock to unlock the Advanced button)

3. Disable iTunesHelper
Apple/System Preferences/Users
Click on the user account that you log on with
Click Login Items
Click on iTunesHelper
Use the '-' button to remove it from running on start up
I usually use the '+' button to start Audirvana Plus (which then also starts iTunes with iTunes Integration enabled)

4. Disabling Dashboard Spaces and Mission Control
Mac OS X: Disable Mission Control and Spaces | defaults-write.com

5. Enable Finder Quit
Adding 'Quit' option to OS X Finder | defaults-write.com

6. Disable Dashboard
Disable Dashboard in Mac OS X | defaults-write.com

7. Disable time machine too.

8. Disable energy saver I would think too.

9. Turn off bluetooth and wireless networking if you dont need them too.

Thank you for the great info...I look forward to playing around with this.

Darren

--
Box HD3E (Furniture)
Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Darren, I would use Audirvana over JRiver. I've tried both and oddly enough JRiver SQ was lower than Audirvana.
Use the free trial period to try both and make your choice. I've tried Amarra and it was on par with Audirvana. I found the later to be easier to setup and use.

If you really want to push things to the next level, you should consider :
- moving to a LPSU, I have a Terradak which is great value for the price.
- install a Schiit Wyrd on the USB going to the DAC
- removing the HDD and install the OS on a SD card. This is even superior to installing an SSD. All my music is on an external server
- Remove bluetooth, Wifi, IR, internal speaker from the motherboard.

I've created a threat on this a while back. I've sorted the list in order of impact on the sound. I have still to do any changes to the software and use scripts.

On my to do is also to take of the fan which is one of the biggest noise generator (electrical not auditive). However, I haven't found a good way to make the mini fanless and I've been busy with other projects lately.

I will trial Audirvana, thanks for the recommendation.

Darren

--
Box HD3E (Furniture)
Old 07-06-2015, 01:53 PM

+1 on Audirvana. However, I am holding off on upgrading to the latest version until Damien creates a remote app for the Ipad (which he is working on, I guess).

Until the full A+ functionality arrives, I use the itunes integration and the "remote" app which is an Apple App on the ipad. It has it's quirks.

I use Teamviewer when I need to remote into the mini, which is free and works well, except for the nag screens/popups.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:51 PM

Mojo Audio modded Mac-Mini, external power supply, and Oyen Digital storage.
JRiver Media20 to my Esoteric D-02 via Wireworld Platinum USB cable.
Great sounds!!