AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-25-2020, 06:02 PM

Default Ref75se vs 160s

As a previous ref 150 user who moved to a 75se, I am curious if anyone has compared the 75se to the 160s. I understand the 160s would of course be better into a demanding speaker, but as an owner f very easy to drive Devore o/93’s and various ls3/5a’s, I wonder how the simpler 75se holds up to the new pieces. I see it is still in production. I would expect a new version, but this is holding on...
I am of the school of “simpler is usually better” if parts are similar quality.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardave View Post
As a previous ref 150 user who moved to a 75se, I am curious if anyone has compared the 75se to the 160s. I understand the 160s would of course be better into a demanding speaker, but as an owner f very easy to drive Devore o/93’s and various ls3/5a’s, I wonder how the simpler 75se holds up to the new pieces. I see it is still in production. I would expect a new version, but this is holding on...
I am of the school of “simpler is usually better” if parts are similar quality.
You will never know unless you try one. I think you might want to keep your 75SE if you have easy to drive speakers. I'm currently running a GS-150 with my Alexia's and have also wondered if the 160s would be better. I'm sure it is, in a technical sense, and it looks even better than my gorgeous GS-150. However, I don't hear a huge difference between all these and feel that it comes down to what you are trying to drive. If you aren't underpowered and you like what you have, it's probably more "bang for the buck" to upgrade your preamp (not sure what you have though).
Old 03-25-2020, 06:31 PM

I have a ref 6, and on the upgrade list for “early Spring”
The ref75se showed the benefit of moving from ref5se to 6 very easily, and recently showed the benefit of moving from Valhalla to Valhalla 2 easily.

Last edited by guitardave; 03-25-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 PM

In some ways I prefer the VT80SE over the Ref75SE. I think the VT80SE shares a lot of similarities with the REF160M. I also like that the VT80SE/REF160 now have auto biasing and the REF160 also allows you to run single ended triode mode
Old 03-25-2020, 10:06 PM

This is what I been looking for also. I just started shopping for a set up to put at ar my new apartment and I am new to high end hifi. I was originally looking at Mcintosh but then a friend recommended me ARC. I felt ARC is more suitable for the wide range of music I listen to. The authorize dealer only had the LS28 and the 160M on display so it was hard for me to be able to listen all the other pieces they have form ARC. I have been their customers for long and said they will order more other units for me to listen before my purchase. I did order the 6se for myself since is new in the series and knowing it will last for a long time. I originally was planning to get the 75se, but I also had a thought of getting the 160s due to the reason that is a newly release and loving the ghost meters.

Last week my 6se arrived and we connected to the 160M and it sounded amazing. Everything was very solid and Sound stage was excellent. Then the 75se arrived, and we plugged into the 6se. But with comparison, the 75se sound quite different than the 160M. The 75se vocals wasn’t as solid and the sound stage wasn’t as filling as the 160M. When the music gets complicated with lots of instruments, it seems the 75se is having a little difficulty to try make each element as stands out or as clear as the 160m. I finally understand what differences can it make just between two power amp. My guy told me that we can wait for 160s to get here, then I can listen and compare again. I will update what I think after. However it seems arc is going to be closed temporarily because of the virus. Hopefully they be able to send the 160s out before that. Stay safe guys!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM

My 75SE and 5SE sounded amazing w/ Sasha 1s. I changed the 75SE for the 160S and the magic disappeared. 3D now mostly 2D. More heft, but less musical. Was better when I replaced Sasha 1 w/ DAW, but something was just lacking. At the local audio salon the DAW/Ref6/160S sounded fabulous. Detailed, high resolution soundstage and accurate timbre of instruments. Illusion of live performance seemed natural and effortless. Was offered to try out a Ref 6SE but was skeptical. I was not prepared for the result. The 6SE totally transformed the music reproduction. Now I was hearing the sound that drove me to spend a small fortune! My 75SE and 5SE are now in my second system driving my SF Amati Homages. Perhaps it is a generational synergy with ARC? The Ref5Se/75SE is a wonderful combination and I was not about to let go of either. But the newest ARC gear seems to have been substantially revised to provide an even larger and more forward soundstage with greater resolution of instrument characteristics. We have all had that audiophile moment when we are taken aback and say to ourselves, wow that really sounds live! I don’t have the reviewer’s vocabulary or gift of hyperbole to say it another way. I have owned ARC gear for 40yrs (SP6/D52B) and I have always been extremely satisfied. ARC is not highest end in cost or performance, but they are consistent and they have endured. As prices spiral upward ARC remains a good value. Most likely the Phono 3SE will be replacing my 2SE in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6C2546A3-82D8-43E8-9FE3-BBE88EC6D0DF.jpeg (1.71 MB, 82 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.

Last edited by djcxxx; 03-26-2020 at 10:06 AM.