AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by walakalulu View Post
Just pulled the trigger on this dac after a long demo at home. Really pleasant sound without digital glare. https://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

Congratulations. It is a fine sounding unit. If I was just starting out, it would be on my list.

What others, if any, did you evaluate?
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-18-2020, 08:23 AM
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Congratulations. It is a fine sounding unit. If I was just starting out, it would be on my list.

What others, if any, did you evaluate?
Thanks a lot. Hopefully it’ll keep me quiet for a while. I had a Benchmark dac 3 after trying out all the Chord offerings but I just don’t “get” the Chord sound. Also gave DCS a go but too many bucks.
I also have an ARC cd 9 and the built in dac is also really good. The antithesis of Chord really.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walakalulu View Post
after trying out all the Chord offerings but I just don’t “get” the Chord sound. Also gave DCS a go but too many bucks.
I also have an ARC cd 9 and the built in dac is also really good. The antithesis of Chord really.
Sound - CHORD DACs (e.g Qutest, HugoTT, TT2, mighty DAVE) have many fans for their superb sound, and for those who listen to pop, rock, electronic music etc, then CHORD does the trick with good body, super low noise, and higher frequencies that stay in control, so opposite to a DAC with a dry/clinical or over-reaching presentation.

ARC CD9 SE - Keen to hear what a Phillips PRO2 transport was like, and what a modern non-chip DAC could do (read FPGA design), I connected up my CHORD DAVE to an ARC CD9 SE digital-out AES/EBU via ODIN2 cable. The sound was super impressive, and to me it was a generation ahead, instead of a generation behind.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:57 PM

ufguy73

Other great option in addition to the Esoteric & DCS would be the MSB. They make awesome DACs. Even Meridian Ultra DAC is pretty awesome too.
My cousin owns the MSB Select II DAC stacks with two separate mono powerhouses (two separate power supply units) and its flagship Femto 33 clock but his MSB Select II DAC stacks cost well over $100k before cablings. But he has a cost-no-object system setup which consist of the Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage preamp ($90k), Naim Statement NAP S1 monoblock amps ($180k/pair), Magico M9 speakers ($765k/pair) with all cost-no-object cablings and AC power products as well. He also has a cost-no-object analog front end source components : Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable ($220k), Statement Goldfinger cartridge, Statement TT tonearm & D'Agostino Momentum phono pre ($28k).
MSB also makes DACs under $50k or even under $30k which would be more suitable for your setup. You should also highly consider MSB in addition to Esoteric & DCS.

Other great option would be the EMM Labs which retails for around $35k I think. Great DAC and the best sounding in its price point or the best for under $50k or up.

Chord Dave DAC (around $10k to $13k I think) will be another great option too.

If you look into a streamer/DAC I highly recommend either the Linn Klimax DS/DSM with the latest Katalyst DAC architecture ($30k retail) or the Naim ND555 streamer/DAC ($22k) with its matching separate external Naim 555 PS DR power supply unit ($14k). But the Naim will exceed your budget. You can use one or two external 555 PS DR power supply units for the ND555 streamer/DAC, each 555 PS DR power supply costing $14k per unit. Using two 555 PS DR will yield better sonic results. Highly musical sounding streamer/DAC especially when paired with external Naim 555 PS DR PSU.
Naim ND555 streamer/DAC does not have internal power supply and is meant to paired with Naim 555 PS DR external PSU. All Naim 500 series components do not have onboard power supply and are meant to be paired with each of the 555 PS DR PSU for each component. But with all Naim components, with the exception of the Naim Statement preamp & monoblock amps, I highly recommend using DIN connection, which is proprietary to Naim, in order to get the best sound. In the case of the Naim ND555 streamer/DAC, it has both DIN & RCA single-ended analog audio outputs and the DIN analog output sounded quite a bit better than the RCA single-ended ones.
However, your McIntosh preamp does not have DIN analog input, only Naim gears use DIN inputs/outputs to connect between Naim components to optimize sound quality. People usually go Naim all the way, starting from their streamer/DAC to their preamp & amp to utilize of their DIN analog audio connectivity to optimize sound quality. That's the only minor drawback with using Naim streamer/DAC in a non Naim setup using non Naim preamps & amps or trying to mix n match Naim component with other brands.

I also have the B&W 800 D3 paired with the Classe Omega Reference monoblock amps. For your speakers you should look into a brand new recently released Classe Delta Mono monoblock amps ($22k retail). They pair really well together. The new Classe Delta Mono amps run in class A biased mode for the first 35 watts @ 8 ohms with the rest in class AB mode. These will be a clear step up from your McIntosh MC 611 monoblock amps especially on your B&W 800 D3. For your linestage preamp if you are willing to spend $30k you should consider upgrading to the ARC Ref 10 linestage pre, which will be big step up from your Mac C1100 pre. Or even the ARC Ref 6 linestage pre will be better than the Mac C1100.

Or else you should highly consider getting all Naim 500 series gears which consist of the ND555 streamer/DAC ($22k) paired with one or two external 555 PS DR PSUs ($14k each), NAC 552 linestage analog preamp ($22k) paired with one of two external 555 PS DR PSUs ($14 each), NAP 500 DR power amp ($25k) paired with an external 555 PS DR PSU ($14k). The Naim NAP 500 DR stereo power amp is a true dual mono configuration / design and each channel is independent from each other and has its own regulators, both channels are completely isolated from each other and are separated by building blocks within the amp. These all Naim 500 series components will elevate the musicality and sonic qualities of your setup / system into the next level and will be way more musical sounding than your current Mac setup and will be a big step up sonically and musicality wise. Naim gears pair well with the B&W as I've heard the combos before.

Actually in my secondary setup I had the Naim Uniti Nova all-in-one integrated (streamer/DAC/integrated amp all in a single chassis) paired with the B&W 805 D3 before and they sounded great together. But I have since moved up to the Sonus Faber Olympica 2 speakers for this secondary system but still have the Naim Uniti Nova. Now I'm thinking to sell the SF Olympica 2 and get something from either PMC or Harbeth or ProAc or ATC. Naim and PMC speakers have the best synergy.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-10-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
ufguy73

Other great option in addition to the Esoteric & DCS would be the MSB. They make awesome DACs. Even Meridian Ultra DAC is pretty awesome too.
My cousin owns the MSB Select II DAC stacks with two separate mono powerhouses (two separate power supply units) and its flagship Femto 33 clock but his MSB Select II DAC stacks cost well over $100k before cablings. But he has a cost-no-object system setup which consist of the Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage preamp ($90k), Naim Statement NAP S1 monoblock amps ($180k/pair), Magico M9 speakers ($765k/pair) with all cost-no-object cablings and AC power products as well. He also has a cost-no-object analog front end source components : Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable ($220k), Statement Goldfinger cartridge, Statement TT tonearm & D'Agostino Momentum phono pre ($28k).
MSB also makes DACs under $50k or even under $30k which would be more suitable for your setup. You should also highly consider MSB in addition to Esoteric & DCS.

Other great option would be the EMM Labs which retails for around $35k I think. Great DAC and the best sounding in its price point or the best for under $50k or up.

Chord Dave DAC (around $10k to $13k I think) will be another great option too.

If you look into a streamer/DAC I highly recommend either the Linn Klimax DS/DSM with the latest Katalyst DAC architecture ($30k retail) or the Naim ND555 streamer/DAC ($22k) with its matching separate external Naim 555 PS DR power supply unit ($14k). But the Naim will exceed your budget. You can use one or two external 555 PS DR power supply units for the ND555 streamer/DAC, each 555 PS DR power supply costing $14k per unit. Using two 555 PS DR will yield better sonic results. Highly musical sounding streamer/DAC especially when paired with external Naim 555 PS DR PSU.
Naim ND555 streamer/DAC does not have internal power supply and is meant to paired with Naim 555 PS DR external PSU. All Naim 500 series components do not have onboard power supply and are meant to be paired with each of the 555 PS DR PSU for each component. But with all Naim components, with the exception of the Naim Statement preamp & monoblock amps, I highly recommend using DIN connection, which is proprietary to Naim, in order to get the best sound. In the case of the Naim ND555 streamer/DAC, it has both DIN & RCA single-ended analog audio outputs and the DIN analog output sounded quite a bit better than the RCA single-ended ones.
However, your McIntosh preamp does not have DIN analog input, only Naim gears use DIN inputs/outputs to connect between Naim components to optimize sound quality. People usually go Naim all the way, starting from their streamer/DAC to their preamp & amp to utilize of their DIN analog audio connectivity to optimize sound quality. That's the only minor drawback with using Naim streamer/DAC in a non Naim setup using non Naim preamps & amps or trying to mix n match Naim component with other brands.

I also have the B&W 800 D3 paired with the Classe Omega Reference monoblock amps. For your speakers you should look into a brand new recently released Classe Delta Mono monoblock amps ($22k retail). They pair really well together. The new Classe Delta Mono amps run in class A biased mode for the first 35 watts @ 8 ohms with the rest in class AB mode. These will be a clear step up from your McIntosh MC 611 monoblock amps especially on your B&W 800 D3. For your linestage preamp if you are willing to spend $30k you should consider upgrading to the ARC Ref 10 linestage pre, which will be big step up from your Mac C1100 pre. Or even the ARC Ref 6 linestage pre will be better than the Mac C1100.

Or else you should highly consider getting all Naim 500 series gears which consist of the ND555 streamer/DAC ($22k) paired with one or two external 555 PS DR PSUs ($14k each), NAC 552 linestage analog preamp ($22k) paired with one of two external 555 PS DR PSUs ($14 each), NAP 500 DR power amp ($25k) paired with an external 555 PS DR PSU ($14k). The Naim NAP 500 DR stereo power amp is a true dual mono configuration / design and each channel is independent from each other and has its own regulators, both channels are completely isolated from each other and are separated by building blocks within the amp. These all Naim 500 series components will elevate the musicality and sonic qualities of your setup / system into the next level and will be way more musical sounding than your current Mac setup and will be a big step up sonically and musicality wise. Naim gears pair well with the B&W as I've heard the combos before.

Actually in my secondary setup I had the Naim Uniti Nova all-in-one integrated (streamer/DAC/integrated amp all in a single chassis) paired with the B&W 805 D3 before and they sounded great together. But I have since moved up to the Sonus Faber Olympica 2 speakers for this secondary system but still have the Naim Uniti Nova. Now I'm thinking to sell the SF Olympica 2 and get something from either PMC or Harbeth or ProAc or ATC. Naim and PMC speakers have the best synergy.
Thanks for sharing these thoughts!

I certainly have not overlooked MSB - in fact, elsewhere someone had suggested that their Premier (with separate power supply) would be a good, synergistic (and budgetary) fit with my Mcintosh system.

Elsewhere, another had indicated they had heard a manufacturer/dealer pairing of my essential setup (i.e Mcintosh pre/611s) and B&W800s) with, I think it was, an Aurender streamer/DAC as a commensurate piece with my setup.

Obviously, I am keen to maximize my system but no sense in having a particular component be so high-end that I am not able to discern or reap the benefits in my own system (ie the whole ‘weakest link in the chain’ concept).

Last edited by ufguy73; 08-15-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
Thanks for sharing these thoughts!

I certainly have not overlooked MSB - in fact, elsewhere someone had suggested that their Premier (with separate power supply) would be a good, synergistic (and budgetary) fit with my Mcintosh system.

Elsewhere, another had indicated they had heard a manufacturer/dealer pairing of my essential setup (i.e Mcintosh pre/611s) and B&W800s) with, I think it was, an Aurender streamer/DAC as a commensurate piece with my setup.

Obviously, I am keen to maximize my system but no sense in having a particular component be so high-end that I am not able to discern or reap the benefits in my own system (ie the whole ‘weakest link in the chain’ concept).
Did you already end up getting a new DAC/streamer for your setup?
For your setup I think the Chord Dave DAC with Chord MScaler and a very good music streamer and/or network audio player/music renderer would be good enough and I think Chord Dave DAC would compliment the sound of your Mac gears. Of course there's always room for improvement. I highly recommend the latest EMM Labs DA2 V2 DAC with the EMM NS1 streamer if you are willing to spend significantly more than the Chord Dave DAC.

By the way, how are your B&W 800 D3 paired with the Mc611 amps? I've only heard the 802 D3 driven by the Mc611 amps paired with a lower end Mac linestage preamp (I think it was the C26 or something couldn't remember) with some Mac CD/SACD player (couldn't remember which model) served as digital front end player. While the overal sound was pretty good but IMO the upstream components (Mac CD/SACD player and preamp) were holding back the overal fidelity and musicality of the system sound. The Mc611 are pretty good amps IMO and pair pretty well with the 802 D3. I've never heard the 800 D3 driven by the Mc611 though.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-16-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:51 PM

late to the thread but I wanted to share briefly my journey with DAC's..

I first tried the PSAudio Directstream, then a Chord DAVE, and auditioned (borrowed at home) a Linn Katalyst as well as a SimAudio 780D v2... all were great, even the PSAudio which I found the least pleasing and transparent of the bunch was decent, but then I made the mistake of walking into a dCS dealer and listening to the Rossini with the word clock and I had no choice but more than triple my budget and order it...

I can safely say that if you want the absolute best in terms of digital conversion, the guys who practically invented it are still the best option you have.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:25 AM

I went from a Mcintosh D1100 to a PSAudio Directstream and could not be happier. The FLPGA DAC is updated every year with a software upgrade. Everything is converted to DSD hence the name. While I am sure there is better out there for triple the cost your starting to have diminishing returns
Old 10-28-2020, 10:20 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

"Everything is good, until you compare it to something better”
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-28-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
"Everything is good, until you compare it to something better”
Exactly. Such is the pain of the audiophile