AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 AM

Default SP3 audio dropout when pausing movies

James--or anyone.

I am truly loving my new SP3 and BDP-1, but I'm having a strange issue when watching movies through my Oppo 103.

Every time I pause a movie, the audio is completely gone when I resume, whether the pause is brief or extended. This has happened on at least two different movies.

I am connected by HDMI into HDMI 1, and DVD input. I have swapped out HDMI cables, no change. I don't know if there's a problem with the Oppo--it is also brand new--or the SP3, which would surprise me since this is a replacement for the first one which had hardware issues right out of the box. Lightning never strikes the same place twice, they say....

Also to note, I can usually restore the audio by hitting the HDMI button, pausing, and then hitting it again. But I shouldn't have to do that, right?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Last edited by moonhawk; 01-12-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM

I don't know what causes this.
I have an Oppo BDP-105 and a Primare BD32 connected to the SP3. I use quite ordinary HDMI cables. [I also have a direct HDMI-connection to the tv.]

I pause every movie I play at least once, but I never have had the audio compl. gone, regardless which player is active. (And it doesn't matter either if I use for the picture the direct connection to the tv or the one via the SP3.)
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM

While probably not related, I have an Oppo 93, and every once in a while if I pause/resume a movie the audio is not there for a second or so. However, it fixes itself, and then works fine. Of course, this is with a Sony DA-7100ES used as a pre/pro with the Oppo decoding the soundtrack and passing it as LPCM. In other words, it appears to be an HDMI handshake issue. I suspect the same issue is occurring with the Bryston.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks, guys.

I'm going to try different sources with HDMI connection to see if I can determine whether it is an Oppo issue or an SP3 issue. I'll try my Dish DVR, currently running audio through optical, and hook up my old Marantz player, both by HDMI, and see what happens when I pause and then resume.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Good news

My first test seems to indicate an issue with the Oppo, not with the Bryston. Big relief.

I rerouted my Satellite signal through the HDMI 1 input, the same one I used with the Oppo, and replayed some television programming. When I paused and replayed, the audio came back on instantaneously, the way it should, with no delays, clicks, pops, or other anomalies.

I will still hook up the Marantz --dread!-- to confirm, but I'm pretty sure it's the Oppo 103. In fact, I remember the first movie I played on it after pausing for an extended period, it wouldn't even resume play. Also found a bad hdmi cable at the time, so figured that was part of the issue until last night.

I can still return the Oppo to Amazon and just get a new one, so that's a big relief. They have a great reputation, so I'm hoping for the best with a replacement..
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I can still return the Oppo to Amazon and just get a new one, so that's a big relief. They have a great reputation, so I'm hoping for the best with a replacement..
Perhaps you should give your Oppo more time. It could very well be that 's a question which can be fixed by a firmware update or that something else is causing the faulty behavior.
Ask in the AVS - Oppo thread.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buseto View Post
Perhaps you should give your Oppo more time. It could very well be that 's a question which can be fixed by a firmware update or that something else is causing the faulty behavior.
Ask in the AVS - Oppo thread.

Thanks, Buseto, I agree.

My tests with the Marantz were inconclusive, as it seemed that whether or not I could repeat the behaviour was dependent on how the HDMI was connected and which HDMI outputs I used.

Further testing is definitely in order, and I have till the end of the month to return the Oppo. (I would simply exchange for a new one.)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Buseto, I agree.

My tests with the Marantz were inconclusive, as it seemed that whether or not I could repeat the behaviour was dependent on how the HDMI was connected and which HDMI outputs I used.

Further testing is definitely in order, and I have till the end of the month to return the Oppo. (I would simply exchange for a new one.)
Following a tip from a thread in the A/V forum, I changed output to LPCM in the Oppo, which seems to have fixed the problem. However, I'm not sure what if any effect this will have on SQ vs decoding the DSD at the SP3 end.

But I'm pretty sure the SP3 is off the hook, which I'm VERY happy to report..

Last edited by moonhawk; 01-14-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 AM

The SP3 can't handle DSD. So for SACD's it should be LPCM.

(My Oppo had SACD DSD out, but that doesn't concern the SP3. I think because the SP3 can't handle DSD the Oppo doesn't send it as DSD.)

For other formats it should be bitstream of course for handling bass management, ...
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Following a tip from a thread in the A/V forum, I changed output to LPCM in the Oppo, which seems to have fixed the problem. However, I'm not sure what if any effect this will have on SQ vs decoding the DSD at the SP3 end.

But I'm pretty sure the SP3 is off the hook, which I'm VERY happy to report..
I too have the 103. ...Make sure all your settings are correct (check the Oppo FAQ over at AVS Forum).

AUDIO FORMAT SETUP:

- As for HDMI Audio Out = PCM, it is just fine, there is no difference with Bitstream.
- And SACD Output = PCM, this is what you want with your Bryston SP3.

* If you encounter audio drop outs when pausing, etc., do this:
Stop the disc playing and eject it, shut everything off (BD player, HDTV, SP3), then turn everything back on, put the disc back, and see if that helps.

Also, if using a cable box, sat box, etc., and you have audio problems, just make sure your BDP-103 has the latest firmware update.

AVS Forum has the official Oppo BDP-103 owner's thread, and in the very first post you have all the latest and useful links to get your 103 running at its very best, including the FAQ link, and all the firmware updates and what they do, plus plus plus.

Your Oppo player is a great one (I know I got the same); you just have to know few things about it (settings, and some other jazz) to enjoy it full steam.

* I made the decision to not post ANY link at all, so that I am 100% certain that I'm out of trouble. The Oppo BDP-103 FAQ link is not from a Forum, and is not from a Website, and not from a Dealer; but I take no chance at all, even if it would be posted at Amazon.
But it don't truly matter anyway because most people know about that Oppo 103's thread from AVS Forum (they just go there indirectly on their own: free Interweb highway).

ALSO: If you are using only the HDMI 1 Out from your 103, make sure your player is set correctly. And if using both HDMI 1 and 2 (Dual HDMI Output), Split A/V is the correct setting (HDMI 1 directly to your display, and HDMI 2 to your SP3).

*** Keep in touch, and share with us if you have any further issues, or if any actual issue persists.