AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 03-13-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Thanks Peter, I have been using the USB & SPDIF so I'm not sure that cables are the issue. I plan to do some tinkering this weekend before I do any critical comparisons.

I have read that Zu Audio recommend an extensive "warm-up" period even for their speakers (cross over networks are electrical circuits). They noted that shipping during winter months can effect this period as well.

My particular unit shipped UPS Ground from CA to SC so it spent almost a week on the road and, presumably, in some cold weather. Significant? I don't know but the range of experiences and opinions on how long it takes the Yggy to settle in are diverse.

Good listening. My experience has been that Yggy is far from strident or forward so I’m very interested in your impressions. I’d note that adding a Shunyata Diamondback power cord made a positive difference.

I’ve also found that the Yggy likes a little ‘social distancing’ and so I have mine isolated a bit and not near any other gear.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-17-2020, 09:34 PM

Thanks Tom. With all the angst currently I wasn’t sure anyone wanted to hear it but here goes. Last Sunday night was the 9 day mark. My wife and I sat down for our first serious listen. Just to ground everyone, I’m running an ARC LS-27 preamp, MC275 amp, Vandersteen Treos and Oppo BDP-105 as a transport. We hooked up our McIntosh D100 to do some A-B comparisons. Without getting off into the weeds about tracks used and nitty gritty details on each, I’ll say the following. At this point the Yggy finally started to change. In the beginning (48 hours in) I couldn’t tell the two apart... zero difference. Sunday the Yggy really started to reveal more details... sounded very alive. The D100 in comparison sounded laid back but very smooth... pleasing to my ear but missing some details in comparison. My wife (a musician) still found the Yggy fatiguing on the high frequencies. For me it was hit or miss... at times it seemed bright but other times very smooth... very vinyl like in presentation. It just depended on the recording. We have another session planned for Friday night (that will be the 14 day mark) so stay tuned. I’m hoping the changes will continue...

In hind sight I should clarify that when I say I couldn’t tell them apart early on that was just a quick non-critical listen. That is not to say I think the D100 sounds harsh and fatiguing... far from it.

Last edited by JWH; 03-17-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:38 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Another nice review of the PrimaLuna Evo 100 Dac

https://www.magzter.com/article/Life...O-100-Tube-DAC
Old 03-08-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Thanks Tom. With all the angst currently I wasn’t sure anyone wanted to hear it but here goes. Last Sunday night was the 9 day mark. My wife and I sat down for our first serious listen. Just to ground everyone, I’m running an ARC LS-27 preamp, MC275 amp, Vandersteen Treos and Oppo BDP-105 as a transport. We hooked up our McIntosh D100 to do some A-B comparisons. Without getting off into the weeds about tracks used and nitty gritty details on each, I’ll say the following. At this point the Yggy finally started to change. In the beginning (48 hours in) I couldn’t tell the two apart... zero difference. Sunday the Yggy really started to reveal more details... sounded very alive. The D100 in comparison sounded laid back but very smooth... pleasing to my ear but missing some details in comparison. My wife (a musician) still found the Yggy fatiguing on the high frequencies. For me it was hit or miss... at times it seemed bright but other times very smooth... very vinyl like in presentation. It just depended on the recording. We have another session planned for Friday night (that will be the 14 day mark) so stay tuned. I’m hoping the changes will continue...

In hind sight I should clarify that when I say I couldn’t tell them apart early on that was just a quick non-critical listen. That is not to say I think the D100 sounds harsh and fatiguing... far from it.
Well, it’s been a year since my last post in this thread so I thought I’d finish the story in case anyone out there is curious. After the 14 day mark, I called Schiit and requested an additional week of audition time. They agreed and we kept the Yggy continuously running which came to 500 hours after three full weeks of running. We kept a signal going through the dac almost the entire time.

Executive summary: after 500 hours I sent the dac back. It sounded the same to me and my wife at the 14 & 21 day marks. The D100 sounded better on some tracks, the Yggy was better on others and many were about the same. If I hadn’t already owned the D100, I would have kept the Yggy. However, since I did own the D100, I saw no reason to change.

The biggest criticism I had of the Yggy was that the tactile sensation of the controls was terribly cheap. I will say that the black finish was quite good.

So that’s it, not terrible sounding but not a huge upgrade either ... more of a lateral move relative to the Mac. YMMV.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:06 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Wes, thanks for sharing your findings, in the end it seems both D100 and Yggy are excellent units!

Did you ever take the PL Evo 100 for home trial/audition?
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 03-09-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Wes, thanks for sharing your findings, in the end it seems both D100 and Yggy are excellent units!

Did you ever take the PL Evo 100 for home trial/audition?
I have not tried the Evo 100 yet but there is a dealer in Atlanta now so I may try one eventually but it’s a 2.5 hour drive.