AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-23-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidParis View Post
Hello,
Sorry you weren't absolutely convinced and "blown away", as the meaningless and contrite expression goes, by the MA352. I had high hopes and gave it a full two months. I stopped counting at 150 hours and it never was a bit musical. You can't please everyone I suppose and my idea of good sound will be different to another person's ideal. I have since traded it in, at a loss, to upgrade my older Naim electronics that do indeed correspond to my expectations.

Another thing that literally bothered me to no end was the numerous McIntosh dealers and their sales techniques and spiels. Atleast 10 different dealers in the US, 2 or 3 in the UK and as many here in France all INSISTED that the MA352 would be "perfect, awesome, a match made in heaven" with my current equipment. Each and everyone of them was dead wrong. They're sole preoccupation was to make a sale and move on to the next customer. Get this, NOT ONE DEALER even asked about lmy listening space, my sonic goals and preferences and NOT ONE even asked about the type of music I listen to. Anybody noobie with 5 minutes of experience knows full well that specific music types are better reproduced with certain equipment. For example, the person who listen to opera and 17th century clavecin will not require the same system or amplification as a heavy-metal headbanger. It's just common sense. I have subsequently lost all confidence with dealers, online reviewers, the HiFi press, etc. It's all about $turnover and advertising dollars.
So, the McIntosh definitely wasn't for me but as we know everyone's mileage may vary. Good luck with your quest. Brgds.
You spoke with over 15 dealers? With all due respect, maybe they sensed that you were not serious about buying something from them, and so they did not really engage? My McIntosh dealer has regularly steered me toward less expensive solutions when he thought they would make me happier overall, and always suggests I take something home to demo before buying. I think the best thing to do is find a local boutique/person that you like, and let him know that you hope to buy from him regularly.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
You spoke with over 15 dealers? With all due respect, maybe they sensed that you were not serious about buying something from them, and so they did not really engage? My McIntosh dealer has regularly steered me toward less expensive solutions when he thought they would make me happier overall, and always suggests I take something home to demo before buying. I think the best thing to do is find a local boutique/person that you like, and let him know that you hope to buy from him regularly.

Yes, I spoke with 15 dealers maybe 20 in several countries around the world to validate my hypothesis and determine a general consensus. Is that a crime? Not one dealer "sensed" anything other than me asking for their experience and feedback in order to determine if it was sensible to pair this amp with Focal Sopras, or on the contrary, if such an association was to be avoided. I felt the dealers were willing to help and offer guidance and also I experienced that some dealers actually have some technical knowledge and experience while others appear to be simply "order takers".

Unable to home demo, (I live in a remote region of France) I had to investigate, read, question, postulate, study, simulate and verify as best as I could the possible synergy with McIntosh in my system. Every single dealer said basically "Yes, marriage made in heaven with Focal Sopras". They all were criminally wrong. Every single "professional" review around the world in English, French, Italian and Norwegian languages, for starters, unanimously praise the MA352. In my case, it didn't work out all. Listening now to the Naim stack I replaced it with (on the Sopras) and frankly, it's quite good to my ears.

I did enjoy my blue lava lamp matching the blue UV meters of the MA352 in my listening room. I didn't like the lack of haptic feedback on the volume and input selector knobs, they spin too quickly and easily. Also the feet are super-hardened plastic with absolutely no grip. The 29 kilo amplifier slips and slides easily on your rack unless you blu-tack the feet. The remote is functional but a bit cheap with too many buttons, far from the all metal remotes from Accuphase...

I had no major qualms with the bass and medium frequencies. The amp never clipped once either. However, the higher frequencies and voices were an absolute catastrophe. It takes a special amplifier to make Sade sound like a sick duck. It was just literally other-worldly bad. I also rolled in some new Gold Lions and then some costly NOS Telefunkens to replace the stock JJs and still, no cigar...

That's the end of my McIntosh story.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:09 PM

@DavidParis,

That has been an incredible sound pursuit journey you have taken. After a while in this hobby, you learn through discovery and hearing for yourself, what audio equipment sounds great to your ears, fits into your environment, and matches well with your other equipment.

I was on a similar speaker journey for several years before finally deciding on a custom built set Classic Audio T.1.5 reference field coil speakers.

My amps are the MC2301s and sound superb with these speakers. I also rolled the GL KT88s and they made a big difference. My preamp is not McIntosh, but an Octave Jubilee reference preamp. I think I am good for now.

Good luck with your new equipment.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:27 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

MC352 Review

https://positive-feedback.com/nos/mc...352-amplifier/
Old 01-24-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
This thread is actually about the current production MA352 tube hybrid integrated, not the MC352 power amp which is nearly 20 years old.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Indeed, there seems to be frequent confusion between the MA352 and the MC352. My experience only concerns the MA352.
As for reviews, in my view they are "a dime a dozen" and nearly meaningless in the context of one's own system, at home. Nothing will ever beat or replace a home demo. It's the only way to be sure.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:26 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidParis View Post
Indeed, there seems to be frequent confusion between the MA352 and the MC352. My experience only concerns the MA352.
As for reviews, in my view they are "a dime a dozen" and nearly meaningless in the context of one's own system, at home. Nothing will ever beat or replace a home demo. It's the only way to be sure.

System synergy is important and even some of the best and most expensive audio equipment will not sound as good as it should if not matched with the right equipment. That said the MA352 has gotten nothing but good reviews.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:58 PM

David,

I have the MA252, which sounds the same or similar as the MA352. I noticed some sibilance, too, with some vocals and so I tried to tame it with these changes:

1) Room treatment.
2) Tube rolling with Mullard NOS.
3) All copper cables from Cardas and Moon.
4) Audience Forte power cables. The lower priced ones.
5) Replaced DAC with Metrum Onyx.

While each of these changes reduced the excessive/unnatural sibilance I was hearing, the last change I tried, replacing the DAC, made the biggest difference. That R2R DAC completely eliminated the excessive sibilance, and I am now hearing the most beautiful tone. It unleashes the full beauty of music so well that I fall in love with every female singer I hear through my 2 channel system, and I sit shaking my head in awe when I hear acoustic guitars.

IIRC, you also mentioned that the bass is too thin. I have not heard that, but I have GoldenEar Triton towers with built in subwoofers and I have two external subwoofers.

I can't say for sure what would happen if you tried some or all of the changes listed above, but I expect that you would be very pleased with your current speakers if you would add the Metrum Onyx DAC and a good subwoofer or two. That is assuming that you also have adequate room treatment.

It took me a long time to get the sound I wanted from my home audio, but now I have it and it is breathtaking. Vocals, acoustic instruments, piano, and drums sound exquisite. I feel like it is so good that anything else would be pointless.