AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Vintage Audio

Vintage Audio Classic never goes out of Style

Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 PM

Pete, it's funny you just posted those three pics as I just came across those very pics earlier today while browsing through the "Vintage" forum.

Three things I notice...

1) You're still using that SAE 5000 unit in your current system
2) I have (somewhere) the same or very similar old Koss cans
3) At my father's house, we still have that exact thermometer/humidity meter

When you acquired your IC150, it was still another year until I was born! LOL

The little D-75A was a great sounding little amp, although I only used it from 600Hz on up for those Altec horns. I actually contemplated getting another one a few years ago but thought its 35 watts wouldn't be enough for the NHT's. Now look at what I have, a 25 watt Class-A amp. Haha

Other amps I've always "almost" purchased were the DC150's and DC300's. I never did because I was worried about their age and how they were used/abused throughout the years. A lot of eBay members aren't honest and won't tell you if the thing is noisy or has toasted output transistors.

Maybe I'll look back into them some day.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
Pete, it's funny you just posted those three pics as I just came across those very pics earlier today while browsing through the "Vintage" forum.

Three things I notice...

1) You're still using that SAE 5000 unit in your current system
2) I have (somewhere) the same or very similar old Koss cans
3) At my father's house, we still have that exact thermometer/humidity meter

When you acquired your IC150, it was still another year until I was born! LOL

The little D-75A was a great sounding little amp, although I only used it from 600Hz on up for those Altec horns. I actually contemplated getting another one a few years ago but thought its 35 watts wouldn't be enough for the NHT's. Now look at what I have, a 25 watt Class-A amp. Haha

Other amps I've always "almost" purchased were the DC150's and DC300's. I never did because I was worried about their age and how they were used/abused throughout the years. A lot of eBay members aren't honest and won't tell you if the thing is noisy or has toasted output transistors.

Maybe I'll look back into them some day.
Charles....my SAE 5000 still does reside in my main system, but 99 percent of the time it is in defeat mode since I really don't spin vinyl too much these days. I can't seem to part with my vinyl collection or turntable just the same.
My SAE 5000's primary duty is it serves as a convenient portal for me to sneak in my TV audio (through the 5000's tape monitor circuit). This works well as it is first in my processor loop signal chain.

Ah yes, my old Koss Pro-4AA's! Who hasn't owned a pair?

I have no idea what ever happened to that little thermometer/humidity meter, unfortunately.

What you can't see in these pictures are my old JBL L100's, which were on the other side of the room. Who hasn't owned a pair of these?

Although my original DC300 amp is (once again) retired, I'll never part with it. If you can find a nice clean later production DC300A (like the one in my Crown amp group photo), grab it. That's a true piece of audio history. It looks good, sounds good, runs cool as a cucumber, and is extremely reliable.

There is always a certain amount of risk associated with eBay purchases, just look at the item and seller's feedback carefully. Sometimes you have to do a little work on the gear, but it's worth it.

None of my systems would be anywhere near where they are today if it weren't for eBay....

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 06-13-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
Ah yes, my old Koss Pro-4AA's! Who hasn't owned a pair?

What you can't see in these pictures are my old JBL L100's, which were on the other side of the room. Who hasn't owned a pair of these?

None of my systems would be anywhere near where they are today if it weren't for eBay....

Pete
Pete, those are the same Koss we have... Somewhere in a closet.

Never had a pair of L100's, but did have a pair of L112's that were my oldest brother's. Wish I still had them. Dang it.

And if it weren't for eBay and Audiogon, I wouldn't have 90% of my gear. Well, them and factory direct places.

Last edited by chops-tube; 06-13-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Pete,

You are my Crown hero. I love everything about your beautiful Crown equipment and setups, but more importantly, I admire your enthusiasm for all things audio. If anyone here deserves to be known as an Audio Aficionado, my friend it is you. Reading about your latest adventure is always a special treat.

Congratulations on an outstanding collection of Crown components. It is spectacular in every detail.
Terry...somehow I missed your post. Thanks! That's a great compliment. I love all the gear, but Crown gear, of this vintage in particular, has always had a special place in my heart. I started with Crown before McIntosh, built a number of systems with McGear but never parted with my Crown gear, building my office system with it. In the last year or so I've been rekindling my old love affair with Crown in a pretty big way. I have no regrets...

Stay tuned, the icing on the Crown cake is yet to come. Just a matter of time....

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
Pete, those are the same Koss we have... Somewhere in a closet.

Never had a pair of L100's, but did have a pair of L112's that were my oldest brother's. Wish I still had them. Dang it.

And if it weren't for eBay and Audiogon, I wouldn't have 90% of my gear. Well, them and factory direct places.

Charles...I no longer have my Koss Pro-4AA's, unfortunately. I wish I did....I also wish I still had my L100's, but I had to sell them in 1982 in order to buy my L220's. I did, however, re-acquire the stands I sold with them from the fellow I sold the speakers to, in 2005. That was cool...I have my 4313B's in the Florida room on the stands.

Pete

No. 35