AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-07-2021, 03:15 PM

Default McIntosh® to partner with Jeep® Grand Cherokee

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/...rand-cherokee/

"To ensure McIntosh luxury home audio experience was replicated in the vehicle, engineers from both companies worked hand-in-hand to fuse form and function into the system architecture. Engineers constantly went back and forth between the test vehicle and the McIntosh Reference Room itself to ensure a truly authentic McIntosh experience, even in a car. The resulting system is so revolutionary, it doesn’t just bring the performance to you, it brings you to the performance.

The MX950 McIntosh Entertainment System boasts 19 speakers in 12 optimal locations to deliver precision sound through every inch of the vehicle and a 17-channel amplifier delivers up to 950Watts of power. The system has LD/HP® speaker design to lower distortion and McIntosh Power Guard® for unrivaled clarity even at very high-volume levels. The most advanced materials technologies were used to make components lighter, yet stronger, so speakers respond faster in delivering timely sonic reproduction. The occupants are enveloped in a massive sweet spot to hear music with zero coloration, just as the artist intended.

The shared vision between Jeep® and McIntosh was to integrate the same level of authenticity and design language from the McIntosh home audio products into the Jeep® Grand Cherokee. The system incorporates McIntosh’s iconic styling cues such as the metal ridged control knobs, in the look and feel that have made McIntosh instantly recognizable to fans around the world. Backlit logos on the door speaker grilles accent the vehicle’s interior lighting with McIntosh’s signature blue. The Jeep® Grand Cherokee L’s subwoofer grille is emblazoned with the McIntosh “Mc” logo as it appears in McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™. It is truly a treat for the eyes as well as the ears!

The 2021 Jeep® Grand Cherokee L is equipped with the MX950 McIntosh Entertainment System and will arrive in Jeep dealerships in the second quarter of 2021."

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/202...h-sound-system
Old 01-07-2021, 03:45 PM

Looks very, very nice and when we look to Jeep later this year or next for our next automobile, we will probably opt for it but they will never be able to "ensure McIntosh luxury home audio experience was replicated in the vehicle."
Old 01-07-2021, 05:10 PM

I've had quite a few Jeep Grand Cherokees in my life. I just always get along with that vehicle and find its all round capabilities on any road conditions, be it sunny, be it a snowstorm, paved road or unpaved... as well as being able to fit any of my hobby items from large airplanes and helicopter models, to a generator to tossing a bicycle in the back... It just swallows everything up.

I just got into a 2020 Grand Cherokee that is the same body style and the award winning 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine that has been around for more than 10 years now. It is my wife's choice of a daily now. It is also our second Grand Cherokee Overland in a row of back to back leases. I tend to lease my daily drivers. My wife preferred driving the Grand Cherokee to an Audi S4... Ok, great, which opened up the opportunity for me to roll around in a Wrangler Rubicon with a retractable electric soft top for 4 season convertible fresh air experience. Driving in the snow with the top completely open is a very refreshing experience.

The Grand Cherokee that FCA was supposed to introduce in the fall of 2020 was delayed, no doubt due to the shutdowns. The new one is based on the Alfa Romeo Giorgio platform. So let them work out all the early bugs and prove to me why I should get a third one in a row with a McIntosh audio system.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:38 PM

Hopefully they don’t use foam surrounds for the drivers like they did on the Mcintosh system that was factory installed in my 2003 Subaru VDC Outback. I purchased the car new and the foam began to disintegrate after about 4-5 years due to the temperature extremes found in a car’s interior. I had to reform all of the drivers. Rubber surrounds would have been much better and lasted longer.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:40 PM

I love my Trailhawk. But might be time to upgrade.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/brand/n...and-Cherokee-L
Old 01-08-2021, 07:12 AM

Default McIntosh® to partner with Jeep® Grand Cherokee

I’m on JGC #2*. Our 2015 Altitude gets us where we want to go on mountain roads here in CO. The sound system is the best factory system I’ve had. I think it’s by Harman. It’s nice to know #3 could have a McIntosh system onboard.

* The first one was a 1998 that lasted 20 years.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 01-08-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:28 AM

Sounds like the McIntosh system will only be available on the Overland and Summit models. It'll be interesting to see what other options will need to be bundled to get it and the cost. Although the meters look neat, they're really just another useless distraction in a vehicle. I still want one.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:47 AM

I hope this will be good for Mc but Jeep has been rated a number of times as being one of the worst vehicles this country produces so I don't think that brand has much respect anymore, so not sure Mc will get a good halo effect out of this arrangement. Sad when you think of what the Jeep name could and should be.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:07 PM

Never had any problems with any of my Grand Cherokees but I don't keep them a long time so wouldn't know. They lease out well because they have a decent residual value (not the best, not the worst). 3 years, under warranty and I'm out and into a new car.

The last two JCG experiences have been nothing but absolutely positive. The two very heavy snow and ice storms I got caught in over the years, I had to thank the superior traction and four-wheel drive of the Jeep that got us home safely while many other cars were stranded on the road... Four days without electricity due to a very nasty ice storm that took down electrical wires.

I don't want to remember my Porsche, BMW and Mercedes SUV in the snow because honestly it scares me...
Old 01-08-2021, 12:13 PM

The Grand Cherokee has been on it's fourth generation since 2011. A 10 year run. Typically the sales would slump on a platform that old. 2019 was the best year in sales for JGC in North America. That says a lot.