AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-27-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrck887 View Post
Hello all!
Seeking some advice. Recently purchased a Line Magnetic LM-845ia just to see what the fascination with SET amps is all about. My current MC601, C500T, Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions with REL G-2's in my small dediticated, treated room is outstanding, one of the most focused, 3D, holographic and immersive systems I've encountered. The one area I would like to improve is on tonal density.....
The LM-845ia was just ok....and as expected had a difficult time driving the SF's. Intersting enough, another feature of SET amps is a wide open holographic soundstage and in that regard it did not come close to matching what I already have with my Mc's. Not surprising as expecting a $4k integrated to compete with nealy $25k worth of Mc gear simply isn't realistic. What the LM-845 did do nicely was impart a sense of richness and tonal density through the mids that was very nice...voices and especialy sax were outstanding. Something I have chased via C500T tube rolling for a couple of years, and I have rolled every 12AX7 and 5751 known to man...none brought out that sort of richness. So to my question, would moving from 601's to a pair of Mc275's add that touch of tonal ricness without losing that huge 3D sound stage that I crave? Appreciate any feed back from those who have already tried this.
Thanks
Your experience with the C500 is the reason I sold it. I tried every tube I could find, too.

I had the magic with my C2200 pre-amp with the stock tubes, though. It's been too long to compare detail between those pre-amps. I did keep the C2200, though, because of my experience with it.
Maybe consider keeping the 601's and getting a different Mc pre-amp?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 10-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Retired

As Craig mentioned on the MC75s, to my ears were better than the MC275s (as monoblocks) they replaced. Enough for your SFs? Can't answer.
Another alternative could be the 211 monoblocks that Cary has on sale at the moment. 70wpc of Class-A that might work well with your SFs.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-27-2020, 09:12 PM

Thanks all, thinking the MC2301's probably the way to go. Not sure the MC75's will drive the SF well enough.
Christian, I had a C2300 for 4 years, great preamp and after much research decided to upgrade to the C500T. The 500T in my rig did everything better, including richer tonal density. It wasn't close. I have magic already but like a good audioholic....I want more
Old 10-27-2020, 09:33 PM

I've owned a pair of the older/classic Guarneri Mementos. I've had both solid state and tube amps of various brands on them. For the most part the best solution for richer and denser as well as more coherent presentation was not looking for a colored amp, it was to add a subwoofer and then a second subwoofer and to carefully dial them in. Huge difference.

After that I raised the bar even further. The speaker being a two way, stand mounted speakers, although being able to reproduce nice bass, were night and day more coherent as I added a crossover between the preamp and amp effectively splitting all the signal below 75Hz to the active JL Audio Fathom subs and the rest to McIntosh MC501 monoblocks or the MC275MKIV amp. That was by far the best solution all across the board. Phenomenal system.

The MC2301 will not be much different than your MC601. I've owned the MC2301 and it is a hybrid design, voiced very nicely of course but it will not be magic warmth toob amp people imagine it to be. The MC601 I am also familiar with as I listened to them quite a few times. They are actually a bit more neutral than the MC501s before them.

My suggestion is to go with a sub and dial it in. The weight, extra meat on the bones and authoritative bass will take your system in a whole new direction where you will not be looking for a richer tonal density. You will have it in spades without trying to color the system artificially. If you already have subs, try the crossover approach like I did. Bryston has the SUB 10B crossover designed for that purpose.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:50 PM
Racing Hoopties

If you have the itch, MC2301s will likely satisfy.

Sadly my MC2301s are 99% sold.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-27-2020, 10:17 PM

I'm with PHC1--275 plus active sub or 2
Old 10-28-2020, 03:48 PM

After coming across your thread, I decided to have a little experiment since I own an MC452 & MC275vi. I believe that the MC452 has a similar sound to an MC601, but that is my guess.

For the comparison, I hook up the MC452 and let the amp run for about a day before evaluating. The day after, I settled into the sweet spot and had a listen. Please, check out my signature below for the entire system. The only component that changed was the amplifier.

I heard that it was exceptionally quiet, clean, and precise. When the volume was low, the sound was great, and I could easily hear the different instruments throughout the sound stage. But, when you have 450 quality watts on hand, it is hard to resist cracking the system up. In no time, I had the watt meters bouncing around 45 watts with a vast soundstage. The soundstage was INCREDIBLE, but I never truly connected with the music and found that I would have to turn the volume to a certain point where I started to connect to the music. I enjoyed my time with the MC452 for the next couple of days and loved having the raw power on hand for movies.

But. I missed the MC275vi.

So, I removed the MC452 from the system and reinstalled the MC275vi. As soon as I turned on the system, the sound immediately connected with me again. For me, there is no comparison. The MC275vi draws me into the music, and before you know it, I am tapping my foot and bobbing my head. The connection between me and the music is incredible, and I am grateful that I found this sound.

So I would say bring an MC275vi home for a trial. I believe it would be worth your effort, money, and time.

On a side note, I hope one day McIntosh will make a full 150-watt monoblock tube amplifier with a meter on it, something similar to the MC901, but as small as possible. I would appreciate the meter because I have found that as I increase the volume, the system sounds better and better. I am concerned one day that I might break something because I am having to much fun with the system, so that the meter would be a fantastic asset.

I also agree with PH1 & PeterMusic
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Thanks all! PCH1....I am running two REL G-2's. I am not unhappy with my rig, I am really just being greedy
McMan, your suggestion is a good one. I will have to try a MC275 just to see what it brings...
Thanks
Old 10-29-2020, 08:31 AM

I agree with Serge, you need a subwoofer. I was running two JL Audio subs with my SF Guarneri Mementos in my home theater and they sounded as big as when i ran the Elipsa there. I now have the SF GM in a 2 channel system using a Sonos amp with a Sonos sub and even with this inexpensive amp it sounds pretty good because of the sub.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:01 PM

Last year I traded my MC452 (great SS amp) for a pair of MC275MkVI and ran them as mono locks with my Sf Electra Amator III (sensitivity of 89dB). I really loved my MC452 and the power I had on hand but I did nit need that much wattage - I would rarely exceed 45 w/ch due to respecting others in the household, but, when alone I would open up as much as the EAs could handle. So, most of my listening was at the lower levels. This is where the MC275s would shine for my ears. At the lower volume (15 watts) the music just all came together, great soundstage, unbelievable midrange, and the bass was improved with the MkVI version. I am using a C2300 pre with them and having all tubes is just a new listening experience for me. Do I miss the MC452? Not with my current setup, which is what I will probably stay with until my ears turn to dust. Just hoping my son (a Sonos fan) will come to appreciate what I have assembled.