AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 12-14-2020, 10:12 PM

Default What Are Your Audio Plans for 2020???

Wow. What a year it’s been.

SOLD: Small REL subs (forget which ones exactly), Silenzio, PSAudio DirectStream DAC and Memory Player, Accuphase C37 and PS1230s (2x), Accuphase E650, and TAD CR-1s, and boat loads of Verastarr power and speaker cables and interconnects.

BOUGHT: Elrod Master Statement Speaker Cables (used), Duelund Schroeder Effect Interconnects, Luxman D08x (used), Nordost QBase8 (2x), QKore1//3 and 6, Qsomething else (mix of new and used), Final Touch Audio Power Cables (lots of them), LampiZator SuperKomputer & Pacific DAC (Demos), Parasound JC3+ Phono Pre (long story) (used) and LampiZator MC2 Silver Edition Phono Pre (also a long story), QV1s, ADDPWR thingies, Adona amp stands and Symposium stands for the REL subs, long run of AudioQuest Wind (?) XLRs, AudioQuest Fog Lifters, EVPs under the Symposiums, etc., et al.

INSTALLED: TAD R-1s (purchased from SCAudiophile about a year and a half ago and in storage), and then put everything in the dedicated room.

While it has been great fun, it also was a ton of work. The Lampi should show up this week, and then I’m going to explore all of the vinyl I’ve purchased over the last couple of years for a few months (and maybe roll some tubes).

2021 - ????

Last edited by Weirdcuba; 12-14-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post

SOLD: Small REL subs (forget which ones exactly), Silenzio, PSAudio DirectStream DAC and Memory Player, Accuphase C37 and PS1230s (2x), Accuphase E650, and TAD CR-1s, and boat loads of Verastarr power and speaker cables and interconnects.

BOUGHT: Elrod Master Statement Speaker Cables (used), Duelund Schroeder Effect Interconnects, Luxman D08x (used), Nordost QBase8 (2x), QKore1//3 and 6, Qsomething else (mix of new and used), Final Touch Audio Power Cables (lots of them), LampiZator SuperKomputer & Pacific DAC (Demos), Parasound JC3+ Phono Pre (long story) (used) and LampiZator MC2 Silver Edition Phono Pre (also a long story), QV1s, ADDPWR thingies, Adona amp stands and Symposium stands for the REL subs, long run of AudioQuest Wind (?) XLRs, AudioQuest Fog Lifters, EVPs under the Symposiums, etc., et al.

INSTALLED: TAD R-1s (purchased from SCAudiophile about a year and a half ago and in storage), and then put everything in the dedicated room.

While it has been great fun, it also was a ton of work. The Lampi should show up this week, and then I’m going to explore all of the vinyl I’ve purchased over the last couple of years for a few months (and maybe roll some tubes).

2021 - ????

...and then he rested...
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 12-15-2020, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
...and then he rested...

🤣🤣 yea, we’ll see if he really rests.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-15-2020, 03:10 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Looking back at 2020:

Music Room:

- Jul: received the SweetVinyl SC-1 Mini/Phono, using it for the clicks and pops removal function/algo
- Jul: acquired the Innuos Zenith Mk3 streamer/server/ripper, replacing the Auralic Aries which was moved to the Library
- Aug: subscribed to Roon, what a game changer!
- Aug: had the Studer A807 RTR tape recorder serviced
- Sep: upgraded the DAC from Ayon S-3 to a (used) Ayon Stealth
- Oct: sold the Nagra 300p amp to a gentleman who replaced the stock JJ tubes with a quad of Elrog 300B, bringing the unit to the next level
- Oct: got the Pass Labs XA30.8 (used), now in rotation with the Goldmund Telos 280, for a different kind of amp flavour

Library:

- Jul: the Auralic Aries coming from the Music Room replaced an Aries Mini
- Aug-Sep: picked up on the used market 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers in excellent condition: ProAc's SM100 & Dynaudio's Special Forty, both now in rotation with the Harbeth 30.1 35th Anniversary (which remain my favorite)

And all year long been enjoying great music through those wonderful systems

Wow Joel, quite some changes!
I'm curious about your experience with the Special Forty. I heard it only once but was impressed.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-15-2020, 03:14 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post

2021 - ????

Wow!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-15-2020, 07:20 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Wow Joel, quite some changes!
I'm curious about your experience with the Special Forty. I heard it only once but was impressed.
Bart, the Special Forty are really nice bookshelves, tight bass, clean highs, mids not as rich as the Harbeth or even the ProAc, good imaging they throw a deep stage, dynamic and detailed but non fatiguing, overall a coherent natural presentation, they sound much bigger than their actual size would imply, and a looker in the red gloss. I'd still favour the Harbeth when listening to Jazz/Vocals but the Special Forty are a pretty good offering for everything else
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 12-16-2020, 03:22 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Bart, the Special Forty are really nice bookshelves, tight bass, clean highs, mids not as rich as the Harbeth or even the ProAc, good imaging they throw a deep stage, dynamic and detailed but non fatiguing, overall a coherent natural presentation, they sound much bigger than their actual size would imply, and a looker in the red gloss. I'd still favour the Harbeth when listening to Jazz/Vocals but the Special Forty are a pretty good offering for everything else

Joel, thank you!
Seems like a solid contender in the 3K range.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Looking back at 2020:

Music Room:

- Jul: received the SweetVinyl SC-1 Mini/Phono, using it for the clicks and pops removal function/algo
- Jul: acquired the Innuos Zenith Mk3 streamer/server/ripper, replacing the Auralic Aries which was moved to the Library
- Aug: subscribed to Roon, what a game changer!
- Aug: had the Studer A807 RTR tape recorder serviced
- Sep: upgraded the DAC from Ayon S-3 to a (used) Ayon Stealth
- Oct: sold the Nagra 300p amp to a gentleman who replaced the stock JJ tubes with a quad of Elrog 300B, bringing the unit to the next level
- Oct: got the Pass Labs XA30.8 (used), now in rotation with the Goldmund Telos 280, for a different kind of amp flavour

Library:

- Jul: the Auralic Aries coming from the Music Room replaced an Aries Mini
- Aug-Sep: picked up on the used market 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers in excellent condition: ProAc's SM100 & Dynaudio's Special Forty, both now in rotation with the Harbeth 30.1 35th Anniversary (which remain my favorite)

And all year long been enjoying great music through those wonderful systems
- Dec: to close the year just purchased from a dealer a pair of demo Magnepan 1.7i

Heard various Maggies in various systems (including at my buddy who runs both 3.7s and 1.7s on Class D monos with tube preamps) but never owned any. Pretty happy to get the chance to experience them, 1.7s should be a good starting point. Glad I kept the Goldmund Telos 280 power amp 2x160W/8Ω as I understand they are rather power hungry. And let's see how they will perform with the Class A Pass Labs XA30.8

Physical pick up early Jan so this may count as a 2021 resolution
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 12-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Semi-audiophile

At this point my plans for 2020 are to play my system.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks