AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 01-26-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I gotta say, the Rega Planar 10 turntable is FABULOUS. I frickin' love it. Its is exceptionally quiet, and superbly neutral. There is NO coloration with this TT and the Apheta 3. None. And gobs and gobs of detail with an solid, and weighty bottom-end. Soundstage width, breadth and height is excellent and image stability is outstanding. The Rega Planar 10 is so good, so musical, immersive and so musically engaging, I guess you could spend more money on a TT, but really, why? I don't think one's musical enjoyment, involvement and sheer musical pleasure could be higher than what the Planar 10 provides. Save the money for a much more expensive deck and buy a Shunyata Everest and an Omega or Sigma XC PC for your system, instead.

This week, the plan is to do an interview with Roy Gandy of Rega for TAS.
Wow! Thank you very much for your feedback. Seems like really good performance for the money. I think this just may be my introduction to vinyl. Next thing to figure out is the right phono stage

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM
Retired

From one Glenn to another (like that we both know how to spell our name.........), not that the Planar 10 isn't excellent, but remember, that's one person's opinion. Plenty of excellent TT/TA combo's out there in the $4-7K price range. Read a few of the reviews in the VPI forum here, as well.

As for a phono stage, doesn't Ayre still offer the P5xe? It has received many excellent reviews. My 'rule-of-thumb' for phone stages is one wants to spend about the same $$ of the phone stage as they spend for a cartridge.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-28-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
From one Glenn to another (like that we both know how to spell our name.........), not that the Planar 10 isn't excellent, but remember, that's one person's opinion. Plenty of excellent TT/TA combo's out there in the $4-7K price range. Read a few of the reviews in the VPI forum here, as well.

As for a phono stage, doesn't Ayre still offer the P5xe? It has received many excellent reviews. My 'rule-of-thumb' for phone stages is one wants to spend about the same $$ of the phone stage as they spend for a cartridge.
Glenn, very true, there are several TT/TA combo's in that range which makes it a difficult decision. The reason I'm honing in on this one is it's received several favorable reviews. In particular, I like the similar feedback from all of the reviewers describing the sound as lots of clarity on the top end while producing low tight bass. I'm not looking for a laid back sound, I want to hear detail. Not that other combinations do not offer this either, but the technology that goes into this TT/TA taken from Rega's $45k Naiad table and the price is very attractive.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 01-28-2021, 08:45 AM
Retired

Yes. The Planar 10 definitely has some very forward thinking & clever engineering.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-31-2021, 05:02 PM

A friend of mine picked up the 8 a few months back and loves it, very interested in the 10.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Yes. The Planar 10 definitely has some very forward thinking & clever engineering.

And sounds really good, too! Love mine after a 20 year run with a VPI Aries.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:41 PM

I love the that TT. I’m currently considering the P8 but if I we’re to get a P10 into my house and I were to like it, I sincerely don’t think that it would leave. It would be an “end game” turntable for me. There’s a factory tour video on YouTube that you would all enjoy.
Great tryout opportunity...
Old 03-18-2021, 04:52 PM

That TT looks incredible.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 PM

Puma Cat, I see the Absolute Sound P10 review will be in the next issue and I look forward to reading it. I do love mine!
Old 04-15-2021, 10:01 PM

I have the P8 and Apheta 2 with the Modwright PH 9.0 tube phono and I love them.
Great combo.