AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-07-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
You’ll need:
Stereo cables from pre/pro to pass through input on C 2700. If your pre/pro supports XLR then use them.

1/8” stereo control cable to go from prepro power control out to C2700 Pass-thru in.

You’ll want to move all your two channel sources to the C2700, so;
Digital coaxial cable from Bluesound 2i to C 2700 coax in.
XLR cables from OppO UDP-205 2 channel balanced output to C 2700 balanced input.

While you’re at it, another MC 601 for the center channel - the most important channel in HT.
Now that the rest of you system is rocking, move up the line to a Marantz pre/pro with balanced inputs and outputs and a McIntosh multichannel amp.

That should do it.
Thank W9TR (Tom?). Spoken like a true audiophile
I plan on implementing many of your suggestions but my 7012 doesn’t have XLR so the upgrades to the 5.1 may have to wait. 2 channel is my priority for now.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 03-08-2021, 12:48 AM

Yep, Tom here. You’ll really like what a dedicated preamp brings to the table. Congrats!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-08-2021, 08:12 AM

Before ordering my wife and I demoed the unit on Saturday on a system that was close to mine. My dealer had 802D3 driven by MC611. I like bringing my wife alone because many times she confirms what I'm hearing. It's also fun to hear here describe what she is hearing in an non-audiophile terminology. She knows what she likes but doesn't always know why.

The first thing we noticed was the openness and transparency between instruments. The separation was so easily heard. I mix on our church broadcast board and many times I have to strain/concentrated to hear minuet details. This was not so, on familiar and non-familiar tracks all we did was sit back and listen and we heard every individual instrument as intended. The space between instruments was plenty.

Next was the warmth and lushness. Diana Krall and Anne Bisson came alive along with bass rich tracks. The control the equipment had at these frequencies were astounding. I'm hoping this has more to do with the pre-amp and less about slight differences in speakers and amps.

Lastly, we like B&W because it is a brighter speaker but it can be too bright with the wrong equipment. Any fatiguing went away when I added my mc601. The demo I heard was cleaner and clarity much better without added brightness.

I'm really excited to hear how it sounds in my system.

2-Channel
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3
Old 03-08-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Before ordering my wife and I demoed the unit on Saturday on a system that was close to mine. My dealer had 802D3 driven by MC611. I like bringing my wife alone because many times she confirms what I'm hearing. It's also fun to hear here describe what she is hearing in an non-audiophile terminology. She knows what she likes but doesn't always know why.

The first thing we noticed was the openness and transparency between instruments. The separation was so easily heard. I mix on our church broadcast board and many times I have to strain/concentrated to hear minuet details. This was not so, on familiar and non-familiar tracks all we did was sit back and listen and we heard every individual instrument as intended. The space between instruments was plenty.

Next was the warmth and lushness. Diana Krall and Anne Bisson came alive along with bass rich tracks. The control the equipment had at these frequencies were astounding. I'm hoping this has more to do with the pre-amp and less about slight differences in speakers and amps.

Lastly, we like B&W because it is a brighter speaker but it can be too bright with the wrong equipment. Any fatiguing went away when I added my mc601. The demo I heard was cleaner and clarity much better without added brightness.

I'm really excited to hear how it sounds in my system.
Congrats on the c2700. Agreed with you on the B&Ws driven by McIntosh Amp; they complement each other well and like you said, it does not sound bright. I love the combo C2700/MC611 and B&Ws, the music particularly on instruments are just right.
You have a great system. Enjoy
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
Congrats on the c2700. Agreed with you on the B&Ws driven by McIntosh Amp; they complement each other well and like you said, it does not sound bright. I love the combo C2700/MC611 and B&Ws, the music particularly on instruments are just right.
You have a great system. Enjoy
Thanks btn2803. I noticed you run WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8. I currently run WW Silver Eclipse 7 between amps and speakers and wondered if I should stay with WW Silver Eclipse for XLR interconnects or go with WW Eclipse (OCC-7N copper). Any opinions to offer? Anyone?

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3
Old 03-08-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I just put an order in for a C2700 at my local dealer. Lead time approximately 6 weeks I’m being told. What should I do to prepare/consider for the new arrival? Item such as cables, equipment integration, manual instructions or anything else to consider.
<snip>
Having had up close, and personal experience with two C2700's for extended periods of time, permit me to offer what might be considered contrarian advice in some quarters. Over the course of the first two to three months the sound of the C2700 will change perceptibly becoming a bit sweeter and smoother (i.e., better) over the the already excellent out of the box sound. Swapping out tubes from the get go strikes me as being premature until the unit has had a chance to settle in and for you and your wife to acclimate to the sound of the unit and your new system as a whole. The C2700 is a great piece and you may like it best with the stock tubes after a three month 'burn in'.

Depending on the 'quality' of your local house current, I do believe that you will find that an upgraded power cord will improve the sound, particularly with digital sources. You may find that swapping out interconnects to have the more profound effects. But, give yourselves a basis of comparison before indulging in pricey tweaking, the results for which may be real or just psychological.

Enjoy!

Bob
Sources: ClearAudio Jubilee MC/ClearAudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic. L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 03-08-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks btn2803. I noticed you run WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8. I currently run WW Silver Eclipse 7 between amps and speakers and wondered if I should stay with WW Silver Eclipse for XLR interconnects or go with WW Eclipse (OCC-7N copper). Any opinions to offer? Anyone?
Congrats on the C2700! I've moved from Eclipse Balanced Interconnects to Silver and Gold and have heard improvements with each step in my system. That being said, I would get the best that you can swing.

I would also consider one of Shunyatas v2 NR power cables for that beautiful preamp.
Preamp: McIntosh C22 Mk V (Gold Lion Tubes)
DAC/CD/SACD: McIntosh MCD12000
Streaming Source: Aurender N10; UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch; AfterDark Project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10MHz Reference Queen Master Clock w/ Black Modernize LPS x 2 Giesemann OCXO 10M Edition
Speakers: Canton Reference 3K
Power: 2x Dedicated 20 Amp Breakers + Whole House Surge Protection
Power Outlets: PS Audio Power Ports
Power Resonators: ADD-Powr Sorcer x4 (at service panel); ADD-Powr Wizard; ADD-Powr eau2; ADD-Powr Symphony (in network closet)
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta v2 XC (Denali v2 to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom NR v10 (Amp to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 NR (Preamp to Denali v2); Shunyata Alpha v2 NR (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Venom NR v12 (Wizard to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom V14 Digital (Streamer and Master Clock LPS to Denali v2)
Speaker Cables: Shunyata Sigma v1; Shunyata Sigma v1 Jumpers
Audio Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR (Preamp to Amp); Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 XLR (DAC Tube and Solid State Outputs to Preamp); Shunyata Sigma USB (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Sigma v2 AES/EBU (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Venom Ethernet (Wall Wart to EtherREGEN); Shunyata Sigma Ethernet (EtherREGEN to Streamer); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 75-Ohm BNC (AfterDark Queen Master Clock to EtherREGEN); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 S/PDIF (Streamer to DAC)
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS (Under Speakers); Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Under Preamp and DAC); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet and G-Links (Under Amp and Master Clock/LPS); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet (Under Streamer); Shunyata DarkField Suspension System and DarkField Mini Elevators (Under Speaker Cables); IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks (Under EtherREGEN)
Noise Reduction: HRS DPX-14545 Damping Plate (On Amp and Preamp); HRS DPII-14545 Damping Plate (On DAC)
Grounding: Shunyata Alpha v3 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (EtherREGEN to Denali v2)
Rack: Quadraspire SVT

Sun Room
Wireless Speaker: McIntosh RS200
Power Resonator: ADD-Powr Symphony Pro
Power Distribution: Shunyata Venom PS8 w/ Venom Defender
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta NR (Venom PS8 to Wall Outlet); Wireworld Silver Electra 7 (RS200 to Venom PS8)
Isolation: IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks
Rack: Pangea Audio Vulcan
Old 03-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Retired

Let the original tubes run for 40-50 hours to insure you know what they sound like to you. Then tube-roll the new tubes and compare to what your ears tell you compared to the other. Always best to 'break-in' new-to-you tubes to insure that they are good before setting them 'on the shelf' as a spare. Occasionally you get a dud.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-08-2021, 01:29 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
I would also consider one of Shunyatas v2 NR power cables for that beautiful preamp.
Now if only I could find someone selling Delta V2NR or Venom V12NR to give them a try.

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3
Old 03-08-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I have the WW Eclipse 8 from C2700 to my Oppo 205.

Between Amps and C2700, I use Alpha XLRs. The biggest improvement I notice is having Alpha NRs power cords on MC611s which I plug directly into the wall outlet.

Thanh
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.