AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM

Great post... The Zitrons in many ways sound quite different from the CX... Both ranges are still really musical and great cables (the Black Mamba HC are a really nice cable) but the quality of focus from the Zitron wiring becomes more evident when you try and integrate a non Zitron PC into the loom. The benefits of a loom are possibly even more obvious with the Z gen cables.

The thing that maybe keeps the Z Anaconda and Z Python close is that they also share the VTX geometry as well which seems to have more to do with texture and shading of timbre.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Very funny!

There is no King Cobra in the Zitron range. Yet
I was/am referring to the non Zitron King Cobra which as I recall had an $3500 MSRP. I know it's an older cord but I was more curious as to where it fits into the equation. I'm running all Sunyata power, Black Mamba CX and CX/HC to my integrated. What I'm wanting to do is upgrade the cord to my Hydra which is currently using the Helix Alpha.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
I was/am referring to the non Zitron King Cobra which as I recall had an $3500 MSRP. I know it's an older cord but I was more curious as to where it fits into the equation. I'm running all Sunyata power, Black Mamba CX and CX/HC to my integrated. What I'm wanting to do is upgrade the cord to my Hydra which is currently using the Helix Alpha.
I understood that. I was wondering aloud as to whether Shunyata intend to develop a Zitron KC.

The KC CX is still available, new, at some places. Such as Music Direct. The price is similar to the Zitron Python.

I have both cables - as a source from wall to Hydra, I would use the KC CX if I intended to keep the existing Black Mamba CX cables. If I was planning to upgrade the component cables at some stage to Zitron cables, then I would get the Zitron Python.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I understood that. I was wondering aloud as to whether Shunyata intend to develop a Zitron KC.

The KC CX is still available, new, at some places. Such as Music Direct. The price is similar to the Zitron Python.

I have both cables - as a source from wall to Hydra, I would use the KC CX if I intended to keep the existing Black Mamba CX cables. If I was planning to upgrade the component cables at some stage to Zitron cables, then I would get the Zitron Python.
Thanks for the response. I had read that using CX cables with Zitron cables may not yield the best performance. What I was considering was going from my Hydra to a Talos and then upgrading the cable to the wall. Would prefer not to re-cable all the power cords given the overall scope of cost.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 PM

It's a bit of a tough call which way you should go.

Ideally, you should get some Zitrons in to try.

But it is expensive - as I think you would need 3 x Z-Pythons, because your amp and CD player are more than worthy, and you need one from the wall. That's $6k in the US right there.

Of course, then you will feel the need to upgrade the power conditioner, as you already are. So it can be a slippery slope.

My reason for suggesting the KC CX with the Black Mamba CX component cables rather than the Z-Python is not because the Python would sound bad, but you won't hear the benefits whilst you are using Black Mamba CX (I have several of these and know them well). It kind of makes it more obvious that the Black Mamba lacks dynamics and transparency (in relative terms, of course) when you use them in conjunction with Zitron cables, but not so much with CX or Helix cables.

I actually value the Zitron cables ahead of the power conditioners (IOW, they make more difference), but I seem to be out on my own there.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It's a bit of a tough call which way you should go.

Ideally, you should get some Zitrons in to try.

But it is expensive - as I think you would need 3 x Z-Pythons, because your amp and CD player are more than worthy, and you need one from the wall. That's $6k in the US right there.

Of course, then you will feel the need to upgrade the power conditioner, as you already are. So it can be a slippery slope.

My reason for suggesting the KC CX with the Black Mamba CX component cables rather than the Z-Python is not because the Python would sound bad, but you won't hear the benefits whilst you are using Black Mamba CX (I have several of these and know them well). It kind of makes it more obvious that the Black Mamba lacks dynamics and transparency (in relative terms, of course) when you use them in conjunction with Zitron cables, but not so much with CX or Helix cables.

I actually value the Zitron cables ahead of the power conditioners (IOW, they make more difference), but I seem to be out on my own there.
I had done the math and $6K for cables is not going to be doable. I could do three Cobra's and sell off two BM's and the Helix Alpha. I have also contacted Shunyata about possibly updating/upgrading my current Hydra as another possibility. Again, thanks for your input, it's helpful
Old 06-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Talos+Python Zitron to wall doable?

That would take your system to a new level. I remember going from Hydra 8 to the new Triton/Talos series, very nice and coupling that with a brand new Python Zitron to wall should set the reference grade foundation.

Last edited by Crion; 06-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:25 PM

+1 going to a Zitron feed cable with a Talos and then maybe as funds allow component by component staging an upgrade later on your source cables... Hierarchy is a bit system dependent but certainly amp/pre/primary source would be the place to start.

Wouldn't rule out a Hydra AV as an option either.

A mate got his last week and it's just settling in now... will be interesting to hear how its going when I get over there next time but he was very happy about how it all sounded going in.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM

These Zitron cables are so addictive...planning to upgrade from Cobra to Python on my integrated. (With Python now on the conditioner and Cobra staying on the CD/DAC. )

I hope this translates into the next interval of goodness!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Very funny!

There is no King Cobra in the Zitron range. Yet

In comparison to the Zitron range, the CX cables sound blurred.

But effective cable gauge (Shunyata use multiples of small, discrete wires) is still relevant. The Zitron Cobra can sound a little thin and lacking dynamics with some components - although this effect lessens substantially in an all Zitron loom. The Zitron Python sounds good everywhere, and does not need to be in an all-Zitron system to shine. The Anaconda can take what the Python does, and elevate it - with some components. But those two sound more alike than different. The Cobra is more of a distant relative than a sibling.

To me, the CX range was a minor improvement over Alpha Helix. The Zitron range is the biggest generational difference since Shunyata started making power cables.

As with anything AC related, anyone's findings are relevant to their own system. Trying first in your own system is the way to go. This seems very easy to do for those in the US.
I to have wondered if a King Cobra ZiTron will appear one day.

I have 2 King Cobra CX's left in my system and the rest all Anaconda ZiTrons. I really love the clarity and extension the ZiTrons provide. At first, I thought the King Cobra was warmer (and sometimes nice on digital)..but the ZiTrons after breakin present everything so naturally in comparison....now I'd say the KC is just a bit fuzzy in comparison (however still a KILLER good cord especially for the close out or used prices).