AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-02-2013, 04:36 AM

Default Hydra AV review

Thursday, I replaced a Panamax M5300-PM with a Shunyata Hydra AV in my HT. This powers everything except for the TV, and the sub, which gets used 3-4 time a year. The Panamax was powered by a Ztron Cobra, which was moved to the amp. The Hydra is powered by a Ztron Python, and is connected to a dedicated 20 amp line. In addition to these changes, last weekend I removed the hard-wired cord on my TV and replaced it with a Furtech IEC connector so I can upgrade the TV power cord. A Ztron Cobra is on order, and for now I am using a Pangea AC14SE cord.

Now to business. I just watched Terminator 3, which is one of my reference Blu-Rays along with Avatar, which I just came from. With the above changes, I am impressed. It is as if I have a new TV, and the sound quality has bumped up a notch.

For review purposes I use the scene where the Terminatrix arrives, steps out of the window, and you hear her feet slap on the concrete. Then comes the chase scene which gives the audio and video a good workout. The clincher tonight was the scene in the campground after the cemetery escape. I have returned DVD players in the past for botching this scene. The campground is in the shade, and it must noon since the sun is really lighting up the scenery not in the shade. There is no loss in detail looking between the shaded areas, and areas out in the sun. It is very smooth. For whatever reason, I have seen this scene washed out in the past. The shade looked okay, but the sun area was washed out white. Now it is perfect.

My Blu-Ray player is an Oppo 93, the TV is a calibrated 2004 57" Hitachi digital monitor, the amp is a Sunfire TGA-5400, the pre/pro is an Onkyo SC5509, interconnects are low end MITs, and speaker cables are Mapleshade Double Helix Clearview with Plus.

Anyway, between the TV getting a better power cord, and the Oppo getting better power, I feel like I have a new TV. The picture is clearer, brighter, and much more detailed, and it appears adding cleaner power to the pre and amp, along with a better power cord to the amp, has upped the sound quality. Voices are clear and pronounced, effects in all channels are more apparent, and both stereo and surround sound has moved up.

I cannot say enough how impressed I am with Shunyata products. As I have added their gear in both my stereo and HT I have seen an order of magnitude improvement. Without a doubt, power is a component, and if you neglect it then you have no idea what you are missing.

Last edited by BlueFox; 06-02-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:25 AM

Hello,

Planning to buy Hydra AV. Zitron Viper will bu use for power amps, pre amps and source. Can i use Venom HC to power Hydra AV or should i use Viper?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 PM

I believe the general rule of thumb is the power conditioner cord should be a higher grade than the component cords.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Hey guys,

I am intrigued to no end about this new product. I don't currently have any Shunyata products in my system. What I do have are two PS Audio Power Point Premiers (power regenerators), into which the amps and preamp and player are connected. I realize this is Shunyata territory and that's what I'm curious about. But seeing the THD coming in my wall at ~ 1.8% and being reduced to ~ .4% is working for me. I don't currently have dedicated lines. That's on my to-do list. Meanwhile I am intrigued by the new Hydra AV.

Would the Hydra AV be an appropriate addition to my system? If yes, would you put it before or after the PS Audio power regenerators?

Also, while I imagine it could be addressed with a 20 to 15 amp conversion plug, what's the deal with the Hydra's 20 amp configuration? Is that going to be a problem for me running on a simple undedicated 15 amp power line?

Thanks for your thoughts and consideration. I am sincere in wanting to follow the footsteps of folks who have gone with Shunyata and posted their happy findings. Would the Hydra AV be an appropriate way to begin the path?

Last edited by MisterBritt; 10-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 PM

You might want to post the technical questions such as using the Hydra in conjunction with the PS Audio power plant in the 'Welcome Caelin Gabriel' thread. He started Shunyata, and can answer these types of questions.

All I can do is give an opinion. In this case I would go with Triton over the AV if you can afford the bump in price. The AV is a great piece of gear, but I found the two channel system sounds better with the Triton.

All Shunyata power conditioners I own (Triton, Cyclops, AV, two port Talos) have the 20 amp connector. When I asked customer service about it they said it was used because it provides a better connection than the 15 amp IEC socket. The power cord is a standard 15 amp plug that plugs into a regular outlet. An adapter will work, but a dedicated cable with the 20 amp connector is ideal.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
You might want to post the technical questions such as using the Hydra in conjunction with the PS Audio power plant in the 'Welcome Caelin Gabriel' thread. He started Shunyata, and can answer these types of questions.

All I can do is give an opinion. In this case I would go with Triton over the AV if you can afford the bump in price. The AV is a great piece of gear, but I found the two channel system sounds better with the Triton.

All Shunyata power conditioners I own (Triton, Cyclops, AV, two port Talos) have the 20 amp connector. When I asked customer service about it they said it was used because it provides a better connection than the 15 amp IEC socket. The power cord is a standard 15 amp plug that plugs into a regular outlet. An adapter will work, but a dedicated cable with the 20 amp connector is ideal.
Thanks for the reply. If Caelin doesn't see this here then I will post it on the "Welcome Caelin Gabriel" thread. I'm already a bit confused. When you write,

"The power cord is a standard 15 amp plug that plugs into a regular outlet ... "

Do you mean the power cord that comes with it? The cord between the wall (or perhaps my PS Audio PPP power regenerator) and this device?

Thanks again.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 10-11-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
"The power cord is a standard 15 amp plug that plugs into a regular outlet ... " Do you mean the power cord that comes with it? The cord between the wall (or perhaps my PS Audio PPP power regenerator) and this device?
Sorry. You need to buy the power cord. For most people, is is a 'normal' power cord with a 3 prong plug on the outlet end, and a 20 amp connector on the other end that connects to the AV, etc. Or you can use a power cord with a 15 amp connector, and a 15 to 20 amp adapter.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Sorry. You need to buy the power cord. For most people, is is a 'normal' power cord with a 3 prong plug on the outlet end, and a 20 amp connector on the other end that connects to the AV, etc. Or you can use a power cord with a 15 amp connector, and a 15 to 20 amp adapter.
Okay, cool. Meanwhile I looked online (MusicDirect) at the Triton you recommended. Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Okay, cool. Meanwhile I looked online (MusicDirect) at the Triton you recommended. Thanks again.

No problem. I buy all my Shunyata gear from the Cable Company. Check them out.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I am intrigued to no end about this new product. I don't currently have any Shunyata products in my system. What I do have are two PS Audio Power Point Premiers (power regenerators), into which the amps and preamp and player are connected. I realize this is Shunyata territory and that's what I'm curious about. But seeing the THD coming in my wall at ~ 1.8% and being reduced to ~ .4% is working for me. I don't currently have dedicated lines. That's on my to-do list. Meanwhile I am intrigued by the new Hydra AV. Would the Hydra AV be an appropriate addition to my system? If yes, would you put it before or after the PS Audio power regenerators? Also, while I imagine it could be addressed with a 20 to 15 amp conversion plug, what's the deal with the Hydra's 20 amp configuration? Is that going to be a problem for me running on a simple undedicated 15 amp power line? Thanks for your thoughts and consideration. I am sincere in wanting to follow the footsteps of folks who have gone with Shunyata and posted their happy findings. Would the Hydra AV be an appropriate way to begin the path?
Hello Misterbritt.

Let me answer your questions in the order they were asked.

1) Hydra-AV as an addition to your system?
Power conditioners should not be cascaded - connected in series. The results are almost always disappointing. Our first design imperative at Shunyata Research is to maximize DTCD (instantaneous current delivery). This is the most important parameter to achieving good performance in an audio system. Connecting multiple devices in series always impedes current flow.

Let's use an automotive analogy. Does it make sense to put a highly restrictive (but quiet) muffler on a Corvette and then put a set of high flow headers on the engine? This is similar to putting a Hydra in series with a regenerator. If you are happy with the regenerator, then you should keep it and look for something else to upgrade in your system. Perhaps some better power cords?

However, if you want to experience what many other Hydra owners are enjoying in their systems, I would ask that you give the Hydra a trial run but do it as a replacement for the regenerator not in conjunction with it. Just give the Hydra a fair hearing and then if you wish add the PS back into the system or try it in series. Many, many customers have done this and the results are invariably the same - but each person needs to hear it for themselves.

2) RE: IEC C-19 Connectors
All Hydras are rated for 20 Amp continuous service. This does not mean however that you can't connect it to a standard 15 Amp power line. It just means the Hydra can carry more current than the line can supply. To have a 20-Amp rating a power distributor MUST use an input connector that is rated for 20 Amp current. The international standard connector is the IEC C-19. If and when you upgrade to a dedicated line, the Hydra will be fully capable of delivering the full potential of the line.

3) RE: Hydra Power cords
Hydras do not come with a power cord. We have many, many models and price levels for power cords, so it does not make sense to provide a standard power cord that is in all likelyhood going to be sold or tossed in the closet. The power cord to the Hydra is an integral part of the performance potential of the Hydra. A Hydra power cord MUST have a C19 connector at the componenet end of the cable. The AC end of the cable that plugs into the wall is the standard P15 (US) that is standard on all power cords. So there are no adapters required to use the Hydra. We always STRONGLY recommend that the Hydra power should be the best cord in the system since all the power for the entire system runs through that single cord. For the Hydra-AV I would recommend the VENOM-HC power cord as the minimum level US$295 list. For better performance I would recommend the XiTron VIPER US$595. Many of the guys here use and may recommend a Python or Anaconda but that is not necessary to achieve your goals of significantly improving your power system performance. Just know that that potential upgrade is always there with a simple power cord swap sometime in the future.

The Hydra-AV is a great unit and more than capable of representing in a Hydra versus regenerator shootout. Use the money you save (versus the Triton) to get a better power cord to power it.

I hope this helps.

Caelin