AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb300
Wow 2100 to add SE....

So glad I bought the ET3SE for the additional 1500 over the ET3.

Took about two weeks of playing the Pre for 10-12 hours a day. I just enjoyed music during this time not worrying about the sound.

The Mat 7DJ8 and the EAT 6922 are my two favorite tubes so far.
Life is a very expensive school!!
Cary 308T cd player, Squeezbox Touch, Sonus Faber Cremona M, REL T3 subwoofer, Conrad Johnson ET3SE preamp, Conrad Johnson Classic 60 SE, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage, VPI Scoutmaster II + Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS AUDIO Dectet Power Center, VPI 16.5.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:18 AM

This morning I replaced the stock EH6922 with the Matsushita 7DJ8. Even right out of the box I instantly noticed more high frequency air and midrange definition. The noise level are also greatly reduced. The ET3SE continues to work around the clock with about 170 hours on it now. I will give the tube a day or two to break in and will post back but this tube really sounds like a winner.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
This morning I replaced the stock EH6922 with the Matsushita 7DJ8. Even right out of the box I instantly noticed more high frequency air and midrange definition. The noise level are also greatly reduced. The ET3SE continues to work around the clock with about 170 hours on it now. I will give the tube a day or two to break in and will post back but this tube really sounds like a winner.
Hi,

Just curious, but when you write "The noise level are greatly reduced." do you mean that there's less tube rush, or, that the music seems to be coming out of a blacker background and you hear more detail, as a result?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your further thoughts as the tubes settle in.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Hi,

Just curious, but when you write "The noise level are greatly reduced." do you mean that there's less tube rush, or, that the music seems to be coming out of a blacker background and you hear more detail, as a result?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your further thoughts as the tubes settle in.
I guess its both. Less tube rush definitely but I also seem to hear more detail. I really had a short listen with the tube completely new so its hard to tell. I do more critical listening tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I guess its both. Less tube rush definitely but I also seem to hear more detail. I really had a short listen with the tube completely new so its hard to tell. I do more critical listening tomorrow.
Thank you for the response. I don't know if it's just my tired old ears, or my 16LS2 isn't as transparent as the more modern c-j preamps, or my speakers aren't very efficient but even with my ear right against the speaker, I can't hear any tube rush. And that's with a good variety of small signal tubes.

Maybe I need to really crank it up to tell but at the volume levels I listen to (which I top out at 45 in deference to my upstairs neighbors), there's only silence when I listen with no program material playing.

Thanks again, I realize you've just started to break them in.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
The EH in mine got very noisy about a month in.

So far the two best tubes for me, in my rig and my room, is the Mat 7DJ8 (poor man's EAT) and the EAT 6922 (superb tube).
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 AM

With 250 hours of break in the ET3SE is turning out to be a great preamp. With the stock tube and in comparison to the ET3 none SE version, the SE version has greater detail, clearer highs and tighter lows while retaining the expansive soundstage of the ET3. Overall a very good upgrade to an already stunning preamp.

I ordered to Matsushita 7DJ8 tubes from Upscale. The first was plugged in 4 days ago and developed a crackling noise problem in one of the channel after 2 days. The second one is working OK at this point. I hope there will be no further problem with this second tube. I contacted Upscale to get a replacement for the first tube. Have not heard from them yet but its the weekend so I will wait for next week. I have heard their service is very good so I do not expect problems.

As for the Mat 7DJ8 sound, in a word WOW! This is one great tube. The mids are so rich, vocalists just seem to project into my listening room with unbelievable presence. Noise floor is also better than the stock EH tube with a blacker background. The highs are crystal clear as well. I am very happy with this tube. I hope the second one does not develop any problems.

Last edited by ronenash; 04-22-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I tried that Matsushita in my ET3, it offered a lot more detail but overall i thought it was much to bright. I actually like the EH better.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetplayer View Post
I tried that Matsushita in my ET3, it offered a lot more detail but overall i thought it was much to bright. I actually like the EH better.
Ah...ET-3 tube talk. I haven't even burned my new ET-3 in yet, and I can't wait to start screwing with the tube.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetplayer View Post
Hi trumpetplayer,

Welcome to AA!!! You have great taste in gear