AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 07-28-2021, 04:59 PM

Thumbs up Time to rip high-def and multi-channel

It took us a looong time, but we finally set up an internal LAN and got a grip on using JRiver MC28 for Mac to rip our redbook CDs and send .flac from our storage device -- which is presently [and temporarily] our MacBook Pro -- to our Oppo 105D player...and it sounds great coming from our McIntosh separates and out of our B&Ws.

Naturally, this leads me to the next step: multichannel (MC) audio and high-definition (HD) audio. I know there are other discussions that touch on this subject, but software is a constantly evolving thing, so I'm looking for the latest developments in ripping audio from ones own HD and MC sources: SACD stereo, SACD MC, DVD-A and BD-A.

As I mentioned before, we own an Oppo 105D, so I'm thinking that it will assist us with this, but perhaps it's better to start, once again, with getting the proper software for the next chapter in going digital?

As I'm admittedly fairly new to ripping and storing audio files, I'd appreciate any thoughts on using what we have -- and what we'll need -- to add HD and MC files to our music library.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 07-28-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
Naturally, this leads me to the next step: multichannel (MC) audio and high-definition (HD) audio. I know there are other discussions that touch on this subject, but software is a constantly evolving thing, so I'm looking for the latest developments in ripping audio from ones own HD and MC sources: SACD stereo, SACD MC, DVD-A and BD-A.
Each requires a somewhat different solution.
SACD (MC and stereo)- Any of these will work with the 105.
https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacd-extract-gui/
https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper...es/tag/0.3.9.3
DVD-A- Any of these will work with an attached DVD drive (not any Oppo)
DVD Audio Extractor
XRECODE-3
DVDA Explorer
BD-A- You need a directly attached BD drive (not any Oppo)
MakeMKV to remove copy protection
XRECODE -3 to extract
Old 07-29-2021, 02:02 PM

Default How does the Oppo fit into the puzzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Each requires a somewhat different solution.
SACD (MC and stereo)- Any of these will work with the 105.
https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacd-extract-gui/
https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper...es/tag/0.3.9.3
DVD-A- Any of these will work with an attached DVD drive (not any Oppo)
DVD Audio Extractor
XRECODE-3
DVDA Explorer
BD-A- You need a directly attached BD drive (not any Oppo)
MakeMKV to remove copy protection
XRECODE -3 to extract
Cheers for the nice list, Kal.

Okay, so after going through the list, I understand that DVD-A and BD-A audio files are extracted via an attached [and purpose appropriate] external drive...but the rookie question I now have is: How does the Oppo 105D "fit" into a ripping system?

As our MacBook Pro (MBP) will host the software, I'm assuming that it's a matter of running a USB cable between the MBP and the Oppo 105D? I've used the USB port on the front of our 105D as an input for .flac files, via a USB thumb drive, but I've never used any of its USB ports to output anything.

To clarify, as an output device, I've used the Oppo as a DAC to pass analog, via its multichannel RCA outputs, to our AVP. I've never used the 105D to output any other kind of signal.

Thanks again

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 07-29-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Cheers for the nice list, Kal.

Okay, so after going through the list, I understand that DVD-A and BD-A audio files are extracted via an attached [and purpose appropriate] external drive...but the rookie question I now have is: How does the Oppo 105D "fit" into a ripping system?
Only for SACD.

Quote:
As our MacBook Pro (MBP) will host the software, I'm assuming that it's a matter of running a USB cable between the MBP and the Oppo 105D? I've used the USB port on the front of our 105D as an input for .flac files, via a USB thumb drive, but I've never used any of its USB ports to output anything.
Nope. Ethernet (or WiFi).
Old 07-29-2021, 05:22 PM

Smile Wading in slowly...

Quote:
Only for SACD.

Nope. Ethernet (or WiFi).
Okay, thanks for the second reply. Kal. I'm doing the initial research now, and it would seem that a USB thumb drive is used to move files around...but I'll get back to the thread once I have more definite information.

Have a good one

Old 07-29-2021, 08:32 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Time to rip high-def and multi-channel

The USB thumb drive used on an OPPO 103/105 is there to tell the OPPO to read the SACDS and send the data via Ethernet to the host computer running the Iso2DSD software. The thumb drive is the magic that ‘breaks’ the copy protection.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-29-2021, 08:45 PM

Talking Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
The USB thumb drive used on an OPPO 103/105 is there to tell the OPPO to read the SACDS and send the data via Ethernet to the host computer running the Iso2DSD software. The thumb drive is the magic that ‘breaks’ the copy protection.
Thank you, sir. I had a hard time believing that anything was being written to the thumb drive, by the Oppo 105D, so this makes good sense to me.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:53 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Thank you, sir. I had a hard time believing that anything was being written to the thumb drive, by the Oppo 105D, so this makes good sense to me.

[emoji106]
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-29-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Here is an old column of mine which describes the basic process which is still applicable with the newer softwares: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...g-sacds-page-2
Old 07-30-2021, 01:38 AM

Smile SACD Ripping Instructions

Quote:
Here is an old column of mine which describes the basic process which is still applicable with the newer softwares: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...g-sacds-page-2
I'll print the article and pay close attention, sir. Once again, I'll get back to the thread once I've run through all of the instructions I've found -- I'm up to three sets now -- and report on the end result. Thank you.