AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

View Poll Results: What phono pre would you get for $2500?
C-J TEA2 1 2.94%
Fosgate Signature 14 41.18%
C-J Premier 15 5 14.71%
Avid Pulsus 4 11.76%
Pass Labs XP-15 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Stephen.... without any hesitation and very easy to resell : l Conrad Prem 15 +teflon upgrade.....prepare to be amazed but i'm biased as you know.....
but if I did not possess Urika would be as for me the TEA1 but it is another story...

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM

Stephen/Philippe...what years was the CJ Premiere 15 produced? What tube compliment does it have? How flexible is it with regards to multiple inputs, different resistive and capacitative loading, etc...? Also, what do you reckon a used one goes for in the US Stephen? How much would it cost to get the Teflon caps upgrade and generally getting it up to snuff at C-J? Lots of questions, I know, but I am curious Thx
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Stephen, if possible, listen to a phono. If not, something used is good as you can resell after long audition and not lose too much $$.
It akso depends on what you are looking for the new phono to do tonally in your system.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable
Stephen, if possible, listen to a phono. If not, something used is good as you can resell after long audition and not lose too much $$.
It akso depends on what you are looking for the new phono to do tonally in your system.
That's how I bought my first phono stage a year ago - the Herron vtph-mc1+. Then traded it in for the vtph-2 - everything i liked about the vtph1 but more of it. I also got a greatdeal on the new fosgate which is amazing unless u are running low output mc cartridges.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Stephen/Philippe...what years was the CJ Premiere 15 produced? What tube compliment does it have? How flexible is it with regards to multiple inputs, different resistive and capacitative loading, etc...? Also, what do you reckon a used one goes for in the US Stephen? How much would it cost to get the Teflon caps upgrade and generally getting it up to snuff at C-J? Lots of questions, I know, but I am curious Thx
Here's the info on the Premier 15:

Premier Fifteen Vacuum-Tube Phono Preamplifier

Only one input and pretty sure it does not have settings for resistive loading, it's fixed. Like the older ARC's you solder in the resistor you want. 53db of gain, so it may not be enough for lower output MC's without a stepup of some kind.

Call Ed at CJ to verify, but pretty sure the upgrade is $1200.

This will change the warm sound dramatically.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post

Only one input and pretty sure it does not have settings for resistive loading, it's fixed. Like the older ARC's you solder in the resistor you want. 53db of gain, so it may not be enough for lower output MC's without a stepup of some kind.

Thanks Jeff
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post

I will have to disagree with the end result of what the cj teflon caps do for a component once fully burned in at 1000+ hours. I believe these are V-Caps made to cj design?.

BTW, the prem 15 has five loading values up to 47k changeable by opening up the cover.

The teflon cap is pretty close to perfectly transparent after 1000+ hours. If the component and circuit is warm before the cj teflon cap upgrade, it will be warm after and visa versa.

What you do gain is a large reduction in the noise floor, so much more purity and a naturalness that is uncanny - the reduction in noise floor itself will bring better transparancy, however it will still be warm sounding . This is what has happened with my prem 8a's and similar to a few audiobuddies around the world with their cj amps. A couple were going to sell their amps (before I told them to wait for at least 600+ hours), so much was the pain in these caps running in - going from differing points of brightness, no bass to eventually back to how they sounded prior in overall tone.

I will be my bottom $$ that the prem15 will still be warm after the teflon caps have fully realised themselves, however noice floor and purity will be so much better. The prem15 was unaccaptably noisy (to me) when played with volume, with a .5mv helikon back when I had both.

That can cause issues down the line when we are expecting the pre amp or amp to change character somewhat with the teflon caps, but you get too much of a good thing.

cheers

Last edited by turntable; 08-15-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Default What about Sutherland 20/20?

I'm surprised that no one included the Sutherland 20/20 which, IMHO, is one of the best built, best-sounding phono preamps abailable at ANY price! Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 AM

Simaudio Moon 310LP
Very pleased with mine so far...

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM

sonicbum... Welcome To AA!!!