AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 PM
precision matters

Default Coincident Statement Phono & Statement Line Stage

My search to put together state of the art electronics in my front end at a somewhat reasionable cost had me in a state of depression untill I started reading and finding praise about Coincident gear which is sold direct and is only 45 minutes away from me, in Toronto. I quickly realized their phono stage has a passive front end on it allowing it to be used as a pre-amp untill more funds become available to add a line stage. Perfect. I called Israel Blume and was welcomed to his beautiful home and large dedicated audition room. I was immediately taken by the sense of spaciousness I was hearing and had to situp and take notice. I've been into audio my whole life and been to so many audio shows and heard many friends systems, so I know when something is special. Coincident equipment is up there with the best I've ever heard. After hearing that level of immediacy and transparency,nothing else would do. That was last year and I'm still thrilled with my Statement Phono but as with passives their pitfall is the lack of dynamic punch. The sound is not quite full bodied. There is a lack of bass foundation. I knew it was going to be this way untill I was able to get a line stage. I would only recommend going this route if your speakers are at least 90db efficient and your using short ic's. Do it as a stepping stone. I could almost continue to live with it this way but I want more. I finally was able to purchase a line stage but I got caught up in thinking about features. A remote would be great and tone controls for those terrible recordings and more inputs but what a mistake. It was sound but not involving music. I've now brought home the Coincident Statement Line Stage that I first heard at Israels. This has got to be the best piece of equipment I've ever bought. The design is transformer based without the use of a single capacitor in the signal path and the power supply feels massive at 40 lbs. To me, maybe this is what I'm hearing or not hearing and this 101d tube seems to be so delicate, sensitive and pure. It has given the phono signal so much life but has not taken away any of it's immediacy or deteriorated the sound in any way. I couldn't be happier.
Harv

The 101d tubes by Shuguang

Coincident Statement Line Stage

Coincident Statement Phono Preamplifier

The 101d tubes do not give off much light or heat.

Inside the Coincident Statement Line Stage

Ingenious floating 101d tube socket sub platform.

Coincident Statement Line Stage, Coincident Statement Phono Preamplifier with reissued Mullards 12ax7's. LP12, Ittok LVII, ringmat, Shelter 901 & Benz H2O. Counterpoint DA10 with Ultra Analog DAC & EAD T1000 transport. Counterpoint SA220 with NOS Amperex 6DJ8's. VMPS RM40 ribbon monitors. WW cables with floor insulators, WW, Nordost SPM & Coincident Extreme ic's, AQ power cords, VPI 16.5

Last edited by audiopoor; 05-03-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:48 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Congrad's Harv!

We love Pics, thanks for posting.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-31-2012, 01:35 PM
dpod4

Beautiful pix and even more beautiful gear. Thanks for sharing. I wish all high end gear was that beautiful. Easy on the eyes. I have heard that Coincident gear including their speakers is top of the mountain - look no further - end your quest.

Last edited by dpod4; 03-31-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Harv, big congrats on some great looking gear!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM
precision matters

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's my pleasure to share it with you! Here's a few more pics.

Even though the Coincident box took a bit of a hit on one side before I got it, the double box and surround foam protected all.

The 101d tubes came nicely packed.

Thought went into heat dissipation with the holes stamped around each tube socket and the caps for the tubes remove heat along with a inner spring for tube dampening. The footers are soft and settle down a bit just like Foculpods.

There is not too much difference in the tube pin sizes. I was warned to be careful and be shure.

I'm so impressed with the floating sub platform. Those 101d tubes ring more easily than any 12ax7, 6922, 6dj8,6550 that I have experience with. Just the slightest tap with your finger nail on the 101d and it comes through your speakes loud and clear. This suspension is superb. Not a hint of microphonics.
Your looking at it upside down, of coarse.

Coincident Statement Line Stage, Coincident Statement Phono Preamplifier with reissued Mullards 12ax7's. LP12, Ittok LVII, ringmat, Shelter 901 & Benz H2O. Counterpoint DA10 with Ultra Analog DAC & EAD T1000 transport. Counterpoint SA220 with NOS Amperex 6DJ8's. VMPS RM40 ribbon monitors. WW cables with floor insulators, WW, Nordost SPM & Coincident Extreme ic's, AQ power cords, VPI 16.5

Last edited by audiopoor; 04-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

Jim
Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Gorgeous. You'll have lot's of fun with those two pieces. I was in a similar position back in 2006 and bought the Manley Steelhead, which does have an active linestage, but I was not entirely happy with the overall sound of the system. Adding a separate line stage seemed to give me the full breadth of the music, although there was something very powerful and forthright about the Steelhead running straight in that adding a line stage (in my case, a Lamm, which is pretty reticient sounding until dynamic passages occur) seemed to subdue.
I also had less than happy experiences using the MC step up part of the Manley- the MM just sound better, at least with NOS tubes. The transformers sounded uneven- some parts brightly lit, others hollow- and playing with all the knobs made small differences, but overall, I preferred the sound of the MM side of the phono stage for my MC cartridges.
I have not heard the Coincident pieces. They look extremely well made, and I like the shiny bits! (Years ago, using an ARC SP-10, which was notoriously microphonic, for phono, I had ARC install similar cushioned tube sockets as an experiment. The damped sockets came from an outside vendor whose name I long forgot, but they made a big difference in the performance of that unit, which, compared to these pieces, was somewhat like listening in the Dark Ages).
Not to make you start thinking about it, but tube rolling on the phono stage?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 PM
precision matters

I was considering the Steelhead when I first started looking for a phono stage. I'm so suprised that the Steelhead didn't live up to your expectations with it's MC stage. That's kind of a slap in the face. It's an expensive piece of equipment that you would expect to elevate your system. Your model from 06 wouldn't have had the attenuation controls, correct. That was not part of it's original release. I hope I remember this correctly, when talking with Israel of Coincident, he mentioned that he had a part in the design or consulting of the Steelhead with EveAnna Manley of Manley Laboratories. He suggested to her to add the volume controls but they didn't. It took them a few years untill they did. The Steelhead was the phono stage used by Coincident at audio shows in the early 2000's untill Israel made his own. What are you using now? Don't be shy, fill out you signature.
I have done some tube rolling but I keep going back to stock tubes that came with the Statment Phono, reissued Mullards. I've tried Gold lions, RCA, Sylvania, Siemens and McIntosh labeled 12ax7's. But your right I should roll them again since I've made changes. I would realy like to try Telefunkens. They get a lot of love here.

12AX7 types

Harv

Last edited by audiopoor; 04-10-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM

Harv,

Beautiful setup and photos. Thank you very much!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Harv,

Beautiful setup and photos. Thank you very much!
+1

Now keep us updated with how it sounds!