AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM

Default R2R v. Delta-Sigma DAC

I haven't seen a thread on AA dedicated to this issue and wanted to see if there was interest in getting one going. I have been in the process of setting up a music server based on an iMAC. But the choice of DAC has been an adventure. I was originally convinced that a vintage R2R tube DAC was the way to go and actually purchased a California Audion Labs Alpha. Unfortunately, it was irreparably damaged in transit and had to be returned to the seller. Although there was a plethora of these DAC's available when I started looking (Monarchy Audio, CAL, Theta), after I realized the one I had was broken, the supply seems to have dried up.

But I have found some highend Delta-Sigma DACs available at prices that compare to the old R2R's including McIntosh D100 and the Cary 100t. Although I can't seem to find anyone to stick up for the Cary, the McIntosh has a loyal following.

Since I have literally no experience with stand alone DACs, and no realistic prospects for listening tests, I'd appreciate any advice you guys have.
2 Channel - Inspire Amp; Dared Pre; Carver "The Receiver" for tuner and switching; Thorens 125 turnable; Angle Audio PS internal battery; Shure SME 3009 tonearm; Bang & Olufsen MC20CL cartridge; Roku; Sony Bravia TV; Polk Audio SDA-2
Theater - Onkyo AVR, Orb Speakers, MAC music server, Monarchy Audio NM24 DAC [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2015, 08:01 PM

For R2R - brand new:

AMR CD-77 - using the TDA1541 - does only 16/44.1 but it does it so well and a brilliant CD Pro2 transport.

MSB's new discrete (not an off the shelf DAC chip)

TotalDAC D1 Dual

PreOwned but not too old
Ayon CD5S which uses the BB PCM1704K

Most "PCM" only DACs today like Berkeley and Bel Canto still use a sigma delta chip so it isn't true R2R.

But for my money - it's hard to beat the PS Audio DirectStream DAC for DSD or PCM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:08 PM

The McIntosh is a great piece of gear from what I have heard. As you have seen, it has a great following! You see them come on the used market every so often also.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Rebellious!

OOOooo This is topic is interesting one.

I think the consensus is that Sigma-Delta's DACs are the more prolific type. There is a couple companies reviving this R-2R DAC design.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=R2R%20dac

I haven't heard an Resistor to Resistor DAC.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:01 PM

I've gone through a number of DACs over the past few years -

Teac UD 501
Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Ayre QB-9
Ayre QB-9 DSD
Acoustic Research Ref DAC
BelCanto DAC 3.5
Schiit Yggdrasil (Yggy)
Totaldac d1-dual

And a few streamers
PS Audio PWD v1
Linn Akurate
Linn Klimax/1

If you don't care about DSD (I don't), I would recommend that you try out Yggy, at its price point I don't think it can be beat. If you want to spend roughly 4X it's price and want DSD, I'd go with the Totaldac d1-dual.

I currently have both in house and, IMO, either bests the rest of the DACs on this list.

The d1-dual is a recent acquisition and I'm still putting it through it's paces. I haven't reinserted Yggy yet, but one of these will go.

Neither of these DACs use sigma-delta chips And while Yggy upsamples and the TotalDac DACs don't, they sound similar. What I like about them over sigma-delta DACs is you get all of the detail, but non of the digital glare...and instruments sound more lifelike.

Great reviews for both - check out Computeraudiophile for Yggy (and the review talks a little about the differences in SD vs multibit DACs) and audiostream for Totaldac reviews.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 PM

ChrisG- As an Yggy owner I will be curious to read your findings in that comparison.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:48 PM

I am a new Yggdrasil owner as of yesterday afternoon thanks to Schiit and Fedex. I have had it powered on continuously but only inserted in my system briefly for a few quick listens. I have heard it takes several days to settle in for the best sound. It is going to take a lot to pull the Auralic Vega out of my system. The most NON digital DAC I have heard to date in my system.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

If you don't care about DSD (I don't), I would recommend that you try out Yggy, at its price point I don't think it can be beat. If you want to spend roughly 4X it's price and want DSD, I'd go with the Totaldac d1-dual.
Chris, I'm interested to get your thoughts on the Yggy sound signature. Is it a slightly warm / fuller sounding DAC as some suggest? I hear the Totaldac also has that sort of sound signature. I'm looking for something with a full sound and not to neutral/delicate or polite like some of the detail dacs can be.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 AM

The Audio Note and Audio Note Kits use R2R dac chips (AD1865).
Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
I am a new Yggdrasil owner as of yesterday afternoon thanks to Schiit and Fedex. I have had it powered on continuously but only inserted in my system briefly for a few quick listens. I have heard it takes several days to settle in for the best sound. It is going to take a lot to pull the Auralic Vega out of my system. The most NON digital DAC I have heard to date in my system.
In this thread:
http://www.audioaficionado.org/cd-pl...tml#post757992

On 2/4/16, You posted:

"In my system the X20 moved both an Auralic Vega and Yggydrasil out of the rack."

For those folk who didn't read the other thread, he's referring to Gustard X20.