AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 01-02-2021, 09:44 PM

Cool Opinions needed: My new Excite X-44s seem to have a hot upper mid range to me...

I, for some time, researched and debated between Focus 360 or Excite X-44, both the largest towers in their respective lines. I found nice used sets of each, but the 360 seller did not want to ship, so I picked up a mint demo set of X-44. I would like to solicit opinions on a couple of aspects of their sound signatures.

These two can now be found at similar prices on the used market. Which would you choose for best deep bass performance in an untreated family room, and why?(Yes, I know about subwoofers and room correction, but I'm a sucker for big floor standing speakers!) Dynaudio specs the X-44 down to 27 Hz, and the 360 down to 31 Hz. But the Focus 360 has a larger cabinet and is 14 pounds heavier, with a similar driver arrangement. So, I'm not sure which would actually have the better in-room bass performance.

For reference, here are the Dynaudio web pages for each of them:

https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinue...ocus/focus-360
https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/excite/x44

Now, with regard to my X-44s, I've been listening to them for about three days now. I sit about 10 feet from the speakers. The dealer indicated that they may still need some break-in, if that is even a thing. What I'm concerned about is that they seem sort of "bright" and piercing to me in the upper mid range and female vocals, in comparison to my current Legacy Audio Signature IIs, which are from the 1990s. It's like perhaps the Excite series are more oriented towards home theater. Or, perhaps, are most speakers these days tuned a bit "brighter" than in the 1990s? I'm afraid that these Excite 44s are not going to be as listenable over longer periods than my old Legacys, but I also wonder if the Focus series would have been more to my liking.

I guess, more important than my bass question is, in your opinion, is there a significant difference in the mid-range voicing between the Excite series and Focus series? Thanks for any input.

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!
Old 01-03-2021, 11:29 PM

I don’t know those speakers, but many speakers do require some break in time. It can definitely be a “thing”, so might be worth some more listening.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:18 PM

Hi Marc, if you are sitting 10 feet away, the speakers should be 9-10 feet apart. Is that the case?

What about room treatment? It's possible that the speaker excites some frequency in your room.

I've had some issues in my room with having too much diffusion when I needed absorption. It's a balancing act in some rooms.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Hi Marc, if you are sitting 10 feet away, the speakers should be 9-10 feet apart. Is that the case?

What about room treatment? It's possible that the speaker excites some frequency in your room.

I've had some issues in my room with having too much diffusion when I needed absorption. It's a balancing act in some rooms.
Thanks, Marc

Yes, they are 8.5 feet apart, and sitting exactly where the prior speakers were.

The speakers are not too close to the side walls and there is heavy carpet on the floor. See pic(prior speakers shown, not the new Dynaudio ones). It just seems like the upper mid range is a bit hot on these X-44s, but I guess it's possible that those frequencies are a bit recessed on my Legacy Audio Signature IIs. I realize the big TV screen is not ideal, but it has been there for years, well before I got the Dyns.
Resized_20201210_095409 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Resized_20201210_095509-2 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!
Old 01-04-2021, 05:25 PM

Ah, yes if I were you I would put something over that TV, they definitely can cause a lot of reflection of high frequencies. Perhaps these new speakers just interact with the TV and room boundaries differently. I'd start with the TV and the first reflection points and make sure you get some treatment in place. You can just throw a blanket up there to test the theory if you don't have any sound panels.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:27 PM

Dim the lights and listen when you are in a relaxed state. Watch the sound transform...
Old 01-04-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Ah, yes if I were you I would put something over that TV, they definitely can cause a lot of reflection of high frequencies. Perhaps these new speakers just interact with the TV and room boundaries differently. I'd start with the TV and the first reflection points and make sure you get some treatment in place. You can just throw a blanket up there to test the theory if you don't have any sound panels.
Yes, I threw a blanket over the TV a couple days ago, and I do think it helps a bit. As it is our family room, I'm limited as to what I'll be allowed to put on the walls. There is actually a lot of absorbent stuff in the room.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:24 PM

One more thought - you said these speakers are sitting in the same exact spot as the old ones. I'd try moving them a bit and see how that helps. I know you are somewhat limited, but even little movements can change the way a speaker interacts with the room.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
I don’t know those speakers, but many speakers do require some break in time. It can definitely be a “thing”, so might be worth some more listening.
You're not kidding. Just a few days ago, these seemed to "come to life". The science people will say that my ears are breaking in to the speakers, but I don't see how it could be that my hearing acuity improved this much. It seems like it sounds like music now, whereas before, it was just sound. Drums and cymbals seem to be more clear and have more presence to them.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:16 PM
Go Dawgs

Hi Marc, don’t run into your stand and knock that Krell FPB amplifier off....those things weigh a ton! . I would think that large flatscreen could be causing much of the issues......that’s a lot of flat, glassy real estate between your speakers.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3