AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Default My B1s

Well it has been about 12 months since my B1s travelled from South Africa to Australia, how are they going you ask?

When they arrived they were hooked up to
- Nordost " loom" Valhalla SC, Tyr and Valhalla interconnects, Valhalla and Odin power cords, Qbase and Qv2, gear on TC sort cones
- Conrad Johnson CT5 and CA200 (185 w. solid state)
- Naim DAC, Weiss INT202 and Macbook pro running Pure Music.
.....all in a treated room, making my room look a bit like a makeshift recording studio., at least in part.( some things don't change)

I sort of liked this better than the shops Luxman setup, but i sort of knew there was more to be had. It was a darkish sound with good rather than great detail and tight bass. It wasn't particularly good at 3d soundstage but it was kind to my mostly alternative rock and pop, with a smattering of classical, jazz and blues. Highs were a bit blunted, avoiding sibilance.

A lot has changed in year one.

- Nordost stuff remains, if it ain't broke.....
- the CA200 has made way for a CJ LP70s with KT120 tubes
- the Naim DAC now has the XPS DR power supply - A Valhalla moved from the Weiss interface to the XPS
- the computer has a SSD and more RAM, and Audirvana is now the player of choice

Operation wise i now leave the Naim gear on 24/7. It avoids fuse issues and it sounds better.

How does it sound?
Like a million bucks. It still like my recordings but its so much better than it was. Detail is way up, the dark balance is gone, The sound has layers of depth. Its more open, allowing vocals to soar for that rare singer ( in my collection) that has a decent pair of lungs and isn't afraid to use them. My opinion on recording quality in my music collection has improved.

What made the most difference?
Thats hard to say. The XPS power supply turns the Naim DAC into a true high end source, yet i know the changes to the computer allow it to shine. The Valve amp made a significant difference as well, maybe not as much, but if the source was upgraded first i might feel differently.

What made the least difference. Well the Valhalla on the Weiss interface was improving things but it was more important to optimise the power supply for the DACs analogue circuits ( the DAC itself already had a valhalla).

Whats next?
Well i have still to receive the linear regulated power supply for the computer/Weiss from Paul Hynes. This will likely bring some additional detail and punch to a sound already pretty strong in the regard ( i believe).

Are you happy with your choice of speaker?
I think so. They are the right size for the room, the are like a clean empty canvass that is set up in a room with subtlety flattering light that does not upstage the art (program material.) and does not unduly highlight flaws in recordings, but you know they are there. The flaws are an important part of the art for me, perfection sucks.

What are you listening to now?
Laughing Clowns, a Brisbane Band of the 80s that featured Ed Keupper from the Saints. Unlike the punk sounds of the Saints the Laughing Clowns had a more mature sophisticated sound featuring brass elements, its not super brilliantly recorded but its got a fair bit going on, with interesting percussion and a number of musical ideas that sort of progress through the song, but its not prog rock as its still got a punky edge and roughish vocals.....with brass and weird bits. I' ve also been listening to The Waifs, A Brief History ( live), this features tracks like Papa that really test the openness of you systems sound, it either sours or it grates when Vicky hits her straps vocally.

I think i can say that i will still have the B1s this time next year so i will do another update then. Can' t see them going anywhere, not at this stage anyway. I definitly have a soft spot for them, both in how they sound and the looks.

Too much music and too little time.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Laughing clowns, Eternally Yours

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8PeGHeF...%3D8PeGHeF2AHc

The Waifs, Papa

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nG68wqG...%3DnG68wqGp-XU
Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Another thing to consider that SHOULD bring the system up another notch would be an external power supply for the Mac.

Vivid Audio G2, Zanden 6000, Stahl-Tek Opus "Prime", Stahl-Tek A.B.C., Mac Mini with external P.S., Tripoint Troy, High Fidelity "Ultimate" interconnects, Jade Audio Gold Vermeil speaker cable, Stage III, Stealth, Virtual Dynamics Power Cables, GPA Monaco shelving, PAD "Ultimate" USB cable
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Arrr, me hearty, i am ahead a yeee on that score I be !

The Paul Hynes is the SR7 dual rail. One rail for the MAC and one rail for the Weiss, and gobs of power to boot. I don't think a better supply exists, particularly as its a custom build.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Life is beautiful

Thank you for sharing.
Lovely write-up.
But... it'd be nice to see some pics.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-22-2013, 01:05 AM

Wow, superb review. Thank you.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:06 PM

Hi All, first post here. I'm seriously considering the B1's. Could you tell me how big your room is and how hard you found them to place? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

aqman... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-10-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqman View Post
Hi All, first post here. I'm seriously considering the B1's. Could you tell me how big your room is and how hard you found them to place? Thanks.
Wonderful speaker, not too hard to place, but if your room is quite large they may need supplemental bass...
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 AM
Life is beautiful

Aqman, welcome!
I did a thorough test of the B1's in 2010, where I let the dealer compare them with the B&W 802Ds.
DCs source, ARC pre, Ayre monoblocks were the components.
This happened in a rather large room (10 x 15 meters).
Much to my but also the dealer's surprise, the Vivids, just like the B&Ws by the way, could handle the room quite easily.
The difference with the B&Ws in clarity, transparency, soundstage and detail was not subtle.
Placing was also much easier with the Vivids.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables