AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-08-2021, 11:31 AM

Default Down the Shunyata Rabbit Hole--Now What?

I'm new to Audio Aficianado. I have a question about Shunyata power products.

I'm demoing a used Hydra Triton and Typhon QR on my front end components. While I've been impressed and swayed by Shunyata's videos and articles, I don't hear much, if any improvement, and if there is an improvement it is quite subtle. Not what I was expecting for a used component that cost as much as my new Holo Audio May DAC.

In for a penny, in for a pound, I ordered a Venom V12NR power cord. I first tried it on my phono stage with no change. I then swapped with my preamp, and things are sounding noticeably better (I had a Triode Wire Labs PC on the pre before the V12NR) and more engaging. Based on this positive result I ordered a couple more V14 digital cords to replace black cords on my turntable and DIY sub figuring I can move them around and listen for differences.

Just to educate myself (and because this is a hobby) I bought an Entec line noise monitor and an Ideal 61-164 line analyzer. The Shunyata Triton and Typhon reduces noise from 100 to ~80 on the Entec--quite a bit less than I expected based on the videos. The noise level dropped another ~10 when I plugged the V14NR into the Triton, so it's doing something systemically.

My audio gear is on a dedicated 20A circuit that goes first to amps/subs, then to a DIY sub mid-room, before terminating at the electronics closet in the back of the room. The Hydra is plugged in below the front end rack and all front end gear is plugged into the Triton. Testing noise at the amps about 20' away I don't see any change in noise with/without the Hydra (I expected the Hydra to lower the noise at least a little bit on the entire circuit?) I also hear AM on the Entec, even though I used twisted 10/3 Romex to wire the circuit (another surprising result--I'd expected the twisted Romex to be good at rejecting EFI).

The Ideal circuit analyzer tells me I have 600 - 700A of DTDC (what Ideal calls Available Short Circuit Current), so the Triode Wire Lab power cords perform in that regard, so I'm surmising I'm mostly looking for noise reduction?

So my question is what should I expect? At this point I'm thinking I will pass on the Hydra gear, but the fact that I do seem to hear an improvement with the Venom NR cord on my preamp makes me think it's doing something. Especially since the Triton and Typhon are a very tight fit under my rack and everytime I move them to access plugs it seems I unplug the umbilical or IEC plug in the Typhon.

My current plan is to pull the Hydra boxes out of the front end and listen for a few days with things back they way they were, then install them on my amps and subs and see what if any difference I hear. Does this make sense?

Is it possible my gear just isn't audibly sensitive to the noise reduction?

Assuming Shunyata is indeed the way to go and I do hear a difference when I remove/move the Hydras, what power cords do you recommend for each of the components below?

AtmaSphere M60 amps
2 Rythmik 12SE subwoofers
1 dual 10" DIY sealed sub
Parasound JC2 preamp
Aurender S10 music server
Holo Audio May KTE DAC
GeerFab D.BOB HDMI SACD decoder
Oppo 105 universal player
Modified DIY Lenco L75 turntable
Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage

Thanks,
Evan

Last edited by ACHiPo; 09-08-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
I'm demoing a used Hydra Triton and Typhon QR on my front end components. While I've been impressed and swayed by Shunyata's videos and articles, I don't hear much, if any improvement, and if there is an improvement it is quite subtle. Not what I was expecting for a used component that cost as much as my new Holo Audio May DAC.
Which power cord did you use to connect the Triton to the wall? That’s power cord is the most critical one when it comes to getting the most from any power distribution device. The other power cords matter too, of course, but the first cord can set the agenda for what follows.

Is it possible your gear just isn't audibly sensitive to the noise reduction? I’m sure your gear will benefit - but the chain is only as strong as the weakest links. So your power cords and signal cables can play a big part in that. I think the Venom NR power cords are excellent and offer a nice bang for the buck. The Delta v2s are a worthwhile step up if you can swing them.

What you will hear when the right pieces are in place is a reduction in noise floor, with noise removed that you didn’t even realize was there. In my case, adding a Denali v1 startled me because it made it evident that through most of my years as an audiophile I had been listening to music that was covered in a haze.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 09-09-2021, 12:09 AM

The power cord and umbilical are high-end Shunyata—Sigma I think. I’ll post specifics when I remove the Hydras to listen without them in a few day.
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom
Old 09-09-2021, 01:18 AM

My JC2 and JC5 definitely seem to benefit from the NR power cords. I use a Delta NR V2 on the preamp and Alpha NR V2 on the amp. Previously, I was running a Delta V1 and Alpha HC on the amp.

I have a Denali 6000 v2 arriving tomorrow. My PS Audio P10 is in Colorado for repairs and will eventually end up in my friend's system. It will be fun to compare the two.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:22 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I could not quite get from your initial post what is your dissatisfaction - is it something you're hearing or something you're measuring? Or not hearing? Or expecting different measurements? Can you say more?

Replacing a power cord on your turntable or its power supply is not likely to yield much in the way of sonic benefit or noise reduction. I'd probably leave the M60s straight into the wall and use the Triton+Typhon for your phonostage, linestage and digital/music server.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I could not quite get from your initial post what is your dissatisfaction - is it something you're hearing or something you're measuring? Or not hearing? Or expecting different measurements? Can you say more?

Replacing a power cord on your turntable or its power supply is not likely to yield much in the way of sonic benefit or noise reduction. I'd probably leave the M60s straight into the wall and use the Triton+Typhon for your phonostage, linestage and digital/music server.
I'm intrigued, and skeptical, about the cost benefit of power quality and conditioning. I'd like to find something that would improve the emotional engagement and tonal accuracy of my already pretty good system, and power may be a way to get there. Other power products I've purchased (Richard Grey Power Stations, TWL PCs) were purchased based on endorsements of others and "can't do any harm" philosophy. I've never heard a significant difference in my system with the products installed.

Caelin's use of relatively simple and affordable metrology to demonstrate the effectiveness of Shunyata's products combined with a hearty endorsement of my speaker dealer (and many audiophiles everywhere) convinced me there's something to it. The leap needed with Caelin's approach, of course, is that improvements in DTDC and Entec qualitative noise measurements result in audible improvements in audio gear. Seems plausible, but I still want to hear it with my ears in my system. The Venom V12NR in my Parasound preamp was audible improvement when plugged into the Hydra. The other components plugged into the Hydra with TWL cords didn't sound any different, nor did the Wavestream phono stage with the V12NR. The Hydra results were pretty surprising given the raves about the QR technology and the cost of the boxes.

Now I haven't totally concluded there is no audible difference. I plan to remove them from the system after they've been in for a couple weeks and see if things sound worse. They should. If not, then I'll try them on the amp end of the circuit, if still not, they don't stay.

All of this is a rather long, rambling pseudo answer. Perhaps a more concise one is that I'm curious what all the shoutin's about, and would like to improve the quality of sound in my system if possible.
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom

Last edited by ACHiPo; 09-09-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I'm intrigued, and skeptical, about the cost benefit of power quality and conditioning. I'd like to find something that would improve the emotional engagement and tonal accuracy of my already pretty good system, and power may be a way to get there.
I would recommend that you try to put aside any preconceived expectations and maybe even invite over a friend to listen with you. The best way to evaluate Shunyata’s approach is to set aside what you hope to accomplish and just allow yourself to hear what’s actually accomplished.

The Triton (if v3) when used with the Typhon QR were previously amongst the best one can buy. The reviews have been about as good as they could possibly get. If you aren’t hearing any improvements then I have to think there is something wrong with either your gear or how you’ve chosen to evaluate these products. You should hear some differences with it being more of a case of whether you like what you hear. You have some really good components and I would expect you to be more impressed with how good they really once they are able to thrive thanks to being supplied with better power.

Shunyata’s products are the real deal and few other brands deliver the value for the dollar that they deliver. I can understand how some might have a preference for other brands though or how some might not appreciate the differences they hear. But not hearing any improvements? These would have to be counterfeits for that to happen.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 09-10-2021, 04:06 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
I'm intrigued, and skeptical, about the cost benefit of power quality and conditioning. ...

All of this is a rather long, rambling pseudo answer. Perhaps a more concise one is that I'm curious what all the shoutin's about, and would like to improve the quality of sound in my system if possible.
Listen for yourself and trust your ears.

Which Hydra do you have?
Old 09-10-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Listen for yourself and trust your ears.

Which Hydra do you have?
I have the Typhon upgraded to QR and Triton V1 (I think).

Regarding the turntable, I was thinking that it would be insensitive to noise and a very low current draw, which is why I just used a decent black cord on it. I've recently read that while it's unlikely that noise would affect the turntable sound, it's possible the motor could generate noise to other components. I think it's unlikely, but I want to try the V14 Digital just to see.

As an update, the system seemed to have a breakthrough last night. I bought and downloaded a copy of Gil Evans The Individuality of Gil Evans and was blown away by the air, depth, and width of the soundstage. This is a CD-quality FLAC, and obviously well-recorded great players, but still it made me wonder if I was finally hearing the difference I expected. Listening to familiar albums this morning (Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane, Santana Abraxas, Aaron Neville Nature Boy) and they all sound more airy and at the same time the instruments sound more solid. The Gil Evans record is obviously a special recording, but other recordings also seem to sound better as well.

Listening continues...
Old 09-10-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
I would recommend that you try to put aside any preconceived expectations and maybe even invite over a friend to listen with you. The best way to evaluate Shunyata’s approach is to set aside what you hope to accomplish and just allow yourself to hear what’s actually accomplished.

The Triton (if v3) when used with the Typhon QR were previously amongst the best one can buy. The reviews have been about as good as they could possibly get. If you aren’t hearing any improvements then I have to think there is something wrong with either your gear or how you’ve chosen to evaluate these products. You should hear some differences with it being more of a case of whether you like what you hear. You have some really good components and I would expect you to be more impressed with how good they really once they are able to thrive thanks to being supplied with better power.

Shunyata’s products are the real deal and few other brands deliver the value for the dollar that they deliver. I can understand how some might have a preference for other brands though or how some might not appreciate the differences they hear. But not hearing any improvements? These would have to be counterfeits for that to happen.
kennyb123 Please allow me to offer some support for the OP. I get where he is coming from because I'm in a similar position. Similar to many I've been building my main system over time. Adding components as I ask myself what will bring the next largest jump in SQ for me. I have a few more acquisitions before I get to where I believe cables will influence the most.

Up to this point I've taken the stance that "better cables can't hurt" so I've dabbled by adding them here and there but in the back of my mind I wonder if they are worth the cost.

Your cables are similar to what I would be looking at purchasing when the time comes so I would be interested in your reply to the question. Did you always believe "better" cable will bring better sound or did you come from a more pessimistic position? Please don't mistake this for a snake oil position of mine I'm truly intrigued by cables and if you were won over because of what you heard or measured would carry more weight for me. Knowing where audiophiles come from on this subject is important.

I say all this knowing everyone's system is different and each needs to be evaluated on it own.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500