AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-12-2020, 02:16 PM

Default Has Anyone Tried the SIGMA v2 S/PDIF?

I am currently using Shunyata SIGMA S/PDIF in my system since early 2020 with wonderful results. I previously used a few different high quality cables, but the improvements in this one can be described in two words: coherence and clarity. It made an immediate and stunning improvement in my system.

I see that there is now a V2 available. Have any of you tried it and do you have any opinions?

Dave
Old 09-12-2020, 04:00 PM

The v2 Digital cables were just launched less than two weeks ago. Along with v2 interconnects and speaker cables. Other than dealers, I doubt anyone got them yet.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:49 PM

Can anyone describe what is new with the SIGMA V2 digital cables compared to the V1 versions?

I suppose te ArNi wire is part of it, but what else?

I looked at the Shunyata website, but couldn't find information about what's been improved compared to the V1 versions.

Last edited by ervstt; 09-15-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervstt View Post
Can anyone describe what is new with the SIGMA V2 digital cables compared to the V1 versions?

I looked at the Shunya website, but couldn't find information about what's been improved compared to the V1 versions.
They sound considerably better. From what I've read from first-hand reports, the new Alpha v2 sounds significantly superior to Sigma V1 and by a ways...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervstt View Post

I looked at the Shunyata website, but couldn't find information about what's been improved compared to the V1 versions.
I've been curious about this too, as well as the differences between the Alpha/Sigma NR v1 vs. the Anaconda Zitron S/PDIF cable.

My layman's guesses:
  • Anaconda Zitron --> Alpha/Sigma v1: lost the Zitron circuit in favor of revised filter in Alpha and filter + TAP module in Sigma; retained all copper VTX geometry wiring
  • Alpha/Sigma v1 --> Alpha/Sigma v2: change from all copper to the new silver/copper VTX ArNi wiring; now just one or two TAP modules, respectively

Last edited by zonto; 10-19-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonto View Post
I've been curious about this too, as well as the differences between the Alpha/Sigma NR v1 vs. the Anaconda Zitron S/PDIF cable.

My layman's guesses:
  • Anaconda Zitron --> Alpha/Sigma v1: lost the Zitron circuit in favor of revised filter in Alpha and filter + TAP module in Sigma; retained all copper VTX geometry wiring
  • Alpha/Sigma v1 --> Alpha/Sigma v2: change from all copper to the new silver/copper VTX ArNi wiring; now just one or two TAP modules, respectively
Just a correction in the interests of accuracy, the single module in the new Alpha V2 S/PDIF and the two modules in the Sigma V2 S/PDIF digital cables are CMode filters, not TAP modules.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 PM

It’s been 3 months since the first post. Has anyone compared them head to head yet?
Old 07-05-2021, 01:46 AM

Bump now that it’s been another six months.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:14 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonto View Post
Bump now that it’s been another six months.
Rent them in and find out for yourself.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:49 PM

I will say a couple things...

V2 Alpha and Sigma are a huge jump from V1, much bigger than even hoped for on the power, analog and digital that I've tried and owned. Alpha NR V2 at least on powercords easily bested Sigma NR V1 by an appreciable difference.(i did not have Alpha v1 digital or analog to compare in those weeks as I had moved to Sigma V1 since having Alpha V1). Sigma NR V2 was an even bigger return.

I still very happily have a very long run of Anaconda Ztron analog XLR that is excellent. V2 cables would beat that pair by at least a couple levels of improvement in every category, but given the length and cost to upgrade, I've not yet done so.

Power cords in generation V2 and the new Omega....nothing Shunyata has done in the past no matter how good, can touch them, end of story.

An overall comment...

We need more people here who share their experience with cables/gear and make detailed posts after taking feedback, time and benefits of someone else's investment of time and money.