Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 06:17 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
+1

If we're being honest with ourselves (always risky among audiophiles) we can acknowledge there is a fair amount of fan-boy attitude at AA and it's not uncommon elsewhere. From reading threads here over the years it seems obvious that certain brands have strong and sensitive brand loyalists. No problem, just recognize the fact.

On the one hand it's not advisable (or polite) to poke the bear in his own den. On the other hand the ability to describe one's preferences and the reasons for them and the ability to engage in an X vs Y vs Z discussion without being snotty seem so fundamental to the very idea of having an open audio forum that acceptance of these behaviors going in is an unwritten rule of participation.

If one is unable to face the possibility that merely by being here you will hear opinions contrary to yours and if that causes a defensive reaction then ask yourself what you want out of participation. Wrangling is fine, debate is fine, but if you can't take it that your choices might suck for someone else, disappointment is inevitable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am assuming that your comment is directed at me or those like me, many of whom are Mac aficionados and may (I don't know) be tired of hearing how much better you like your gear over Mac. Personally, I've grown very tired of it. I'm not sure what your signature is, however there is a click on this website composed mainly but not exclusively of AR aficionados and to a lesser degree Dag aficionados that begin by stating how much they "love" Mac, which they used to own. Then they state their travails concerning the mountain of gear they have auditioned, much of which is in home. Gear which retails for tens of thousands of dollars each. Finally they have a REVELATION and it's guess what AR or DAG over their beloved Mac. Afterwards they never cease to tout how much they loved their Mac but nevertheless, how superior their AR or Dag is to it. All qualified by "Ymmv" what ever that stands for or some other equivalent abbrev.

When you start this kind of stuff, I will be there to call you on it unless Ivan censures me or kicks me off site. I have free speech also up to the point a moderator intervenes and says enough.
Charles - you're rather sloppy in your use of pronouns, particularly "you" and "they".

I've never owned or reviewed any Macintosh equipment or been to a Macintosh dealer showroom. I don't pay attention to the brand beyond reading comments about it made in conjunction with comments about something else.

So when you say things like "When you start this kind of stuff..." I don't have a clue who you are talking about and it's not clear to me that you do either.

When you write: "I am assuming that your comment is directed at me or those like me, many of whom are Mac aficionados and may (I don't know) be tired of hearing how much better you like your gear over Mac."

To the best of my recollection I've never commented on Macintosh gear much less how it sounds relative to gear I own. I mostly ignore Macintosh though I think I've heard it at shows. I did observe that there are brand fan-boys on this forum and elsewhere.

Try to be careful in your posts about whom you're attributing to what, or implicitly or overtly accusing of a point of view. You will avoid targeting someone you don't mean to address (or at least cause you to think about who is in the conversation) and it will make your writing more credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
... Dealer demos of new unsold gear invariably come with a full factory warranty. Manufacturers typically treat such equipment the same as what comes from an unopened box.
Quote:
That's simply not true. You used then word "invariably" but then modified it to "typically". Do you really want me to point out the fallacies and inaccuracies of what you have just maintained/stated?

Yes, please do - tell me the fallacies and inaccuracies. But I'm only interested in actual dealer practices and actual manufacturer practices of which you have first hand knowledge.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
... I have a supremely transparent system. I'm not intimidated by you or those like you ... You are just are not used to a Mac aficionado standing up to you and your ilk ...

Now you and those like you that I regard as sophisticated bullies, need to find someone else to pick on because make no mistake about it, when you pick on Mac, you are picking on me ... find some other brand to pick on and get your kicks from it/them ... Am I offended by you? No. Do I I feel insulted? No. But I will respond and then finally when you realize this you will go on about your way ...
I'm simply confounded that anyone would take audio equipment so personally. Sharing impressions about the sound of audio components isn't picking on them or their owners and if very enthusiast reacted as Charles has here, there'd be no way at all for us to have any conversation about audio equipment.

Charles may claim he's not offended, but it's pretty clear that he's indignant.

This forum is about audio equipment and music, folks. And although those things may be of extreme importance in our lives, I suggest that in the end, they are just things. They shouldn't be worshipped.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbuitend View Post
Hi George,

Thanks for the interesting post.

You listened to the ML 326S and I was wondering which Amplifier you used in the combination with this pre-amp.

And, am I correct to say that the MC601 is an integrated Amplifier, so no separate pre-amp was used?

You are quite explicit in the way how you described the MC601 as the next level of the ML 326S and I wonder if it was just a source and this MC601?

Thanks!

Guido

This dust up of a 2+ year old thread all (re)started here.

Welcome to AudioAficionado Guido.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
Charles:
I do enjoy being called "sophisticated" by you even if it was meant to be pejorative.
You can keep branding me as a bully and one who tells Mac owners to switch to ARC. You have got the wrong guy. If a guy named George does that, that would be his problem.
Nor do you have to "call me out" if you disagree with what I hear. This is not personal to me. It apparently is for you. I know this because you say that when I pick on Mac, I pick on you. All I can say is--if that's the case, I feel sorry for you.
Members on this forum have a right to hear from others especially in response to a specific thread devoted to the differences between Mac, ARC and Mark Levinson. Indeed, that is part of what participation here is all about-- to listen to the experiences of others.
When someone tells me to open my ears to other products, I truly enjoy doing so. That is, in fact, what led me to switch from Mac. It was the Mac dealer encouraging me to listen to ARC. Thank you Stereo Exchange NYC!
But I take this approach with all audio gear. I want to know what's out there and I want to know if I'm missing something that I should perhaps own. Therein lies the difference between us. When someone tells me to listen, my curiosity makes me want to do so. If someone tells you to listen, you put your hands over your ears, take it as an insult and shoot the messenger. This is my last post on this thread. You will obviously get the last word but rest assured, I will not take it personally and I will not respond.
Hey ... How did I become a bully?

George

Last edited by gadawg; 02-21-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
I believe AR aficionados use AR as a tool to correct deficiencies in there existing system, then come on the website to proclaim the scrim it removed that was caused by their "beloved Mac".
Ohhh boy........RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!!!!!!!!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-21-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Ohhh boy........RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!!!!!!!!

- Buck
You asked for it ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTK.jpg (6.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 10:55 AM

Charles ...

I can assure you I wasn't trying to bash McIntosh or hurt anyone's feelings though its now clear you have taken this all too personal. When I auditioned the Sasha's with MC-601's and the C1100 I just didn't connect which was strange because I knew that I really liked the MC-601s and the Sasha's. Yes ... I liked the older Levinson preamp and the ARC better. I even stated that I liked the older C1000 better (solid state version) and had it still been available I probably would have bought it. Guess I didn't like the direction McIntosh took with their newer tube gear which is likely more because of their voicing decisions rather than about any quality concerns. I will say I believe that McIntosh is some of the best built audio equipment out there. Most of it will likely outlast all of us!

So ... I'm definitely not a McIntosh basher or hater ... in fact .. I am putting together a McIntosh home theater in another room which I have no intention of ever replacing. It will be perfect for that use and I get my little blue meters back!

Charles .. I really hope you enjoy your McIntosh system for many years to come. I know I will enjoy my system especially now that I have a pair of Alexx's coming my way soon! At least we agree on speakers! God help us all had I been a Magico fanboy! I know that I like the Levinson amps I have now much better than the MC-601's I had previously but if someone shares an opinion that another amp they heard/own is substantially better I won't be upset at all ... In fact that will make me want to go audition that amp and decide for myself. I'm not silly enough to believe that what I have is the end all be all out of all the electronics on earth and you should probably be open to that possibility as well. Be curious and be happy. Even Michael Fremer will state that when he really likes something its the best he's heard not the best in the world because he simply hasn't heard everything ... something to consider.

Take care friend and enjoy your system!

And I think this is a good way to leave the subject! I challenge us all to just walk away as I'm not sure we are learning anything new or helpful at this point.
Any chance this gets left alone now?

George

Last edited by gadawg; 02-21-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
You asked for it ...
ROTLFLMFAO!!! BEST one yet Buck!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I'm simply confounded that anyone would take audio equipment so personally. Sharing impressions about the sound of audio components isn't picking on them or their owners and if very enthusiast reacted as Charles has here, there'd be no way at all for us to have any conversation about audio equipment.

Charles may claim he's not offended, but it's pretty clear that he's indignant.

This forum is about audio equipment and music, folks. And although those things may be of extreme importance in our lives, I suggest that in the end, they are just things. They shouldn't be worshipped.
+1
Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Everyone; Time out for a bit...

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 22FAFC8E-6F7E-425F-AFCF-AB3F4F79E083.jpeg (80.3 KB, 121 views)
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Closed Thread