AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
This is basically what my understanding was. ARC could not source enough of the Teflon caps thus they were forced to make the change.

I have not yet heard the Ref 6 but it would surprise me if it was better than the REF 40; if for no other reason than because of the power supply in the REF 40.

I am of the opinion that the REF 10 is in a very similar league as the REF 40. Just look at the boards inside and that alone should tell you why. ARC sold many more REF 40s than what they anticipated and knew that they could add a similar version to their line up and it would sell. So as not to totally tick off the people that purchased the REF 40 (as they promised it would be limited) they had to make some changes most of which were cosmetic.

ARC said on their site that the LS 27 is similar to REF 5 but on a smaller scale. Also when I spoke to them some time ago they indicated that the LS 27 was better than the REF 3 in every way. Based on my ears the REF 5 was ahead if the LS 27 and the LS 27 was not better than the REF 3 in every way. Bottom line is that even though I read opinions and reviews on components the final decision about an upgrade is left to my ears and my pocket book.

I have learnt that newer is not always better and in many cases newer is only marginally better. There are many people that upgrade and suggest that the new product is a significant upgrade to help justify the money spent. That is their choice but I like to see more of an upgrade in sound for my money. For example I would not upgrade a REF 40 to a REF 10 as IMO it is not worth the 15K or so difference between what you could sell your REF 40 for and purchase a new REF 10. My ears suggest that the REF 5 SE was still behind the REF 40 in sound and experience albeit not leaps and bounds. Keep in mind the law of diminishing returns.

When I hear the REF 6 I will compare it to the REF 40 and REF 10 as these to me are the ones at the top of the ARC food chain. As the interior components have changed in the REF 6 I wonder if the signature sound has changed.
I have listened to the ARC REF 6 and ARC REF 5SE preamps in the same system and the REF 6 is significantly better sounding than the REF 5SE in all areas, in my opinion. The REF 6 is the real deal. Here's a new review of the REF 6: Audio Research Ref 6 Line Stage - Preliminary Thoughts - Positive Feedback

Best,
Ken
Old 03-11-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Not in ARC gear, but the V-Cap CuTF (Copper Foil Fluoropolymer Film) are the best I've used.
I know of folks uses V-Caps on other mods and produces very good results. It's not cheap either...will be interesting to see if any ARC fans try the same in the ref electronics.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Installed the caps.

Had to abandon the bottom grill because of low hanging fruit syndrome.

More bass while high still retained for now.

Here's to the long road of break in again.

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 03-14-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Well, I have taken the plunge & purchased a few types of caps of varying capacities to try out. One of the types are these Stealth caps in 20micro Farad capacities.
Where did you manage to get the Stealth caps from? I have looked for a online company that has them for sale but have never been successful.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:04 AM

I look forward to your further considerations as they settle in, have you increased the value over the factory componants ?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

triode12... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 PM

Gents,

I bought the Stealth caps from Parts Connexion.

I have increased the output capacitance from the original 10microfarad to 30microfarad. 10 from the factory Teflon & 20 from the Stealth caps.

This is done specifically to address the lack of bass issue when matched with my Gryphon Mephisto which has a lowish input of 20K ohm as opposed to the ARC norm of 100K for their power amps.

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 03-14-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Gents,

I bought the Stealth caps from Parts Connexion.

I have increased the output capacitance from the original 10microfarad to 30microfarad. 10 from the factory Teflon & 20 from the Stealth caps.

This is done specifically to address the lack of bass issue when matched with my Gryphon Mephisto which has a lowish input of 20K ohm as opposed to the ARC norm of 100K for their power amps.
Might be interesting to hear ARC tech divisions thoughts regarding your experimentation Joe, they may be in a position to offer you some advise regarding what value to best partner your Mephisto.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 PM

The V caps website has a calculator for figuring cap value based on input impedance of an amplifier.
No guess work involved.

Coupling Capacitor Calculator by V-Cap

Boone
Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
triode12... Welcome to AA!
Thank you Masterlu!