AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 08-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Racing Hoopties

Randy, You should also run each channel alone to see what that looks like.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-30-2014, 03:15 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
XTZ allows an "anechoic" measurement, somehow done in room, but with the room effects removed. Are you thinking I should run that test on individual speakers to see if the output is roughly even?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Craig.......The XTZ Quick Guide states, "When making final adjustments, make sure signal is applied to all speakers and subwoofers in the system you wish to calibrate. Making separate adjustments to each channel will not accomplish a well-balanced end result."

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Racing Hoopties

I am not familiar with this system. My experience with REW suggests measuring one channel at a time to eliminate comb filtering in the mids and upper ranges. For subs, I understand you can or should (?) measure them all.

Also, does this system also apply corrections? If so, it makes sense then to measure all.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 08-30-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
I am not familiar with this system. My experience with REW suggests measuring one channel at a time to eliminate comb filtering in the mids and upper ranges. For subs, I understand you can or should (?) measure them all. Also, does this system also apply corrections? If so, it makes sense then to measure all.
XTZ suggests corrections for room modes below 250 H, and will even model the predicted result. Using additional software it will allow direct exportation to XTZ's own DSP processor. When I started my first Room Analysis it revealed a room mode at 25H and suggested a -12 dB cut at 25 H with a Q of 6. Even though I have a Velodyne SMS-1 bass parametric equalizer, it would not have integrated with my "stereo" sub set-up because my signal runs [source] to [preamp] to [active crossover] and then splits among right and left mains and two subs. I got lucky because the subs themselves happened to have the ELF adjustment mentioned in earlier posts. The curve I posted was the result after I had attenuated 25 H using ELF. It worked so well that XTZ reported no modes found. Room Analysis is the only test that suggests DSD "fixes," but it does not measure above 250 H. Basically if you have comb filtering problems you need to decide yourself where to add absorption panels. First reflection points are the obvious suspects. After that esthetics may govern more than anything else because sound acts more like rays than waves above 250 H, i.e. every surface is involved so percentage of wall covered is what matters. The RT60 measurement is key here because you want a RT60 of about .4 seconds like Georges has in his room (above RT60 of .4 add panels to lower it). Since my RT60 numbers split so radically I have more learning to do to figure out what to fix.

Last edited by chessman; 08-31-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
I am not familiar with this system. My experience with REW suggests measuring one channel at a time to eliminate comb filtering in the mids and upper ranges. For subs, I understand you can or should (?) measure them all.

Also, does this system also apply corrections? If so, it makes sense then to measure all.
One additional thought regarding comb filtering - I think it is impossible to eliminate in a small room because with the "ray effect" and the complexity of the reflections one cannot adjust the speakers closely enough. Instead I think you have to focus on equal decay time as revealed by RT60 measurements.

Disclaimer: I am not an acoustician, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
One additional thought regarding comb filtering - I think it is impossible to eliminate in a small room because with the "ray effect" and the complexity of the reflections one cannot adjust the speakers closely enough. Instead I think you have to focus on equal decay time as revealed by RT60 measurements. Disclaimer: I am not an acoustician, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Ha! Nor did I and nor am I !!!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Gary, any idea why my RT60 is so short for some frequencies and then over 4 seconds for 4,000H and 8,000H?
FOUR seconds?? Do you have a reverb machine in there?

I have no idea why such high frequencies would have such a long ring.

Are you sure it isn't 0.4 seconds?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 AM

Randy, that first graph looks really good

As mentionner by Craig, I would run each channel separately to see the balance between each speaker.

As for the RT60, try an impulse test and see if there is a strong second impulse and the distance. The 4s is very odd. Is it consistent over several measures ?

You should do a test between 125Hz and 10kHz to see if there is another room node at those frequencies.

I believe it would be worth your time to try some measures in REW
Old 08-31-2014, 04:38 AM

BTW GIK has a very good introductory video to REW. You should check it out

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4uSR3cUUSY]Room EQ Wizard: REW Room Measurement Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]