AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Vicoustic Wavewood panels installed

The Vicoustic Wavewood panels arrived earlier today. I ordered a case of ten cherry finished panels. They came from Seattle, Washington and were packed very well, arriving without any damage. I have been anxiously awaiting their arrival like a kid looking for Santa to come down the chimney.

My reason for deciding to change some of the fiberglass acoustic panels on the studio walls came from a feeling that the room was damped more than it should be for listening to a two channel stereo system. Those who have followed my shenanigans over the years may remember that when I originally drew up the drawings and built the two rooms downstairs they were for the purpose of the space being used as a professional home recording studio. I have the control room side where the recording gear, equipment racks, analog tape machines, digital recorder, 24 track mixer, and JBL powered monitors are installed. The other room was the recording studio with the two side walls and front wall all prewired with balanced microphone jacks and stereo headphone jacks for up to eight musicians. I have recorded often in the studio but as the years passed the studio side gradually grew into a two channel listening room and then I added a home theater system to the room. I can still use the room for recording but don't do it much anymore.

The original concept for acoustically treating the room was to make it dead with no reflections so that I could have open microphones in this room without picking up any echo or flutter. My acoustic panels were initially set up strictly for this purpose and performed the task admirably. As the room morphed into a stereo two channel listening space it has nagged at me that the room was too dead for two channel music listening. Don't get me wrong, the sound system sounds fabulous in this room but I felt the room could benefit from being a bit more alive, hence the layout of the Vicoustic Wavewood panels in place of some of the more absorbent fiberglass panels. The Wavewood panels are about 50% reflective in a diffused fashion and 50% absorption. By replacing the fiberglass panels on the studio's rear wall behind the couch and the two fiberglass panels on the front wall behind each rack I reduced the absorption and increased reflectivity of diffused sound. That was the plan and it has paid a nice dividend. I played several high-res recordings with the Vicoustic Wavewood panels installed and immediately heard an improvement in upper midrange energy and a deeper soundstage depth. Listening to Lee Ritenour - Rhythm Sessions, "L.A. By Bike" I notice some drum and percussion sounds I had not noticed before and the cymbal splashes shimmered in a brighter light. Nothing is overpowering, nothing has become edgy, grating or shrill, just more revealing without the high frequency energy being sucked out before its time.

I am very pleased with the performance differences I am experiencing. There is new air in the room without any loss of standing wave control or increase in slap echo or unwanted reflections. I thought of making this acoustic change for almost a year. I am satisfied that I finally got off my duff and made it happen. This change is worth the effort and expense. The Vicoustic Wavewood panels are a well made, good looking product that delivers acoustic benefits and aesthetic value in the same package. Highly recommended.

Before Wavewood Panels

After Wavewood Panels

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-24-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 PM

OMG.... You must be in heaven..Thank you for share
Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 PM

Dan... Where are three of them ? Was it easy to install ? They really look nice in your room ! Beautiful ~! Also what is your room size ?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Paul.......Three of the ten Wavewood panels were not installed in the studio. I may install them in the Control room. The installation was relatively easy. The panels are 23.5" x 23.5" x 2" thick. They are light, approximately a pound each. Once you do the layout and mark your first top corner the Wavewood panels are installed using Auralex TubeTac Pro foam adhesive. You apply the adhesive to the back of the panel about 1.5" in from the edge and in an X across the middle, then place the panel on the wall in the position you want. I used a 2 foot level to insure the panel would be level. The panel needs to be held in place against the wall and pressed firmly over its entire surface. The adhesive grips immediately but allows minor panel movement during the first 3 or 4 minutes so you must support it during that time. Once the panel is firmly adhered and level you repeat the process, lining the edge of the next panel with the one just installed. It took me about 2 hours to install the seven panels in the studio. A single tube of Auralex TubeTac is good for about 2.5 panels so figure accordingly when you buy panels. The Auralex TubeTac is available at Home Depot and online.

The studio dimensions are 11.5' x 14.5'. It size is just right for intimate listening. Since it is only Marlene and I, it is also perfect for home theater. The two channel system and the home theater system do not share any components or speakers. The studio has two completely separate systems installed in it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Dan... These came out looking great; how is the acoustic differences?
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Ivan.......I am still riveted in my sweet spot in the studio playing one recording after another. Just finished listening to the hi-res download of Joni Mitchell - Blue. Her voice was perfect in the sound stage. The entire room is much more alive and airy, no where near as dead as it was before replacing the fiberglass panels. I had this room fairly dead and now I am hearing more shimmer in cymbals, horns are sounding more metallic, voices are presented in a deeper sound stage and there is a quickness to dynamics in the upper midrange that had been muffled. The sound is open and fleshed out in a very positive way now. I should have installed the Vicoustic Wavewood panels a long time ago. This is a nice improvement to the studio's acoustic signature. I like it. The panels are great looking and please my eyes, too.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 AM

Good to hear ! I plan on some behind me and some behind my mains and perhaps at the second reflection point to balance out the room as I have absorption already.

Thanks for the post.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:54 AM

I didn't think your room could get any better Dan... Obviously I was wrong! Nice
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Thanks for sharing Dan. The panels look terrific.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
I didn't think your room could get any better Dan... Obviously I was wrong! Nice
Trevor.......Thank you. The studio has always been a very good acoustic environment, it was just a bit too dead. The Vicoustic Wavewood panels have improved the sparkle and air to the upper midrange. I didn't leave the studio last night until after 2:00 AM. I was finding it difficult to turn the sound system off and go to bed. I couldn't be happier with the results.