AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Hum from new VX-5

I received my new VX-5 on Saturday January 11. I noticed last evening that my unit emits what appears to be a 60HZ hum inside the unit when powered up. Transformer hum? When I put my VX-5 in "low power consumption" mode, the hum diminishes, but still can faintly be heard.

The hum is coming from the VX-5 itself, not the loudspeakers. It occurs when all my other gear is either powered up or turned off including my preamp so it is not the fault of another component interacting with my amp.

When I power the rocker power switch to "off" on the back of my VX-5, the LED turns red while the front pushbutton circle turns green. After doing this, both the LED and the push button will turn off in about one minute. Is this also normal?

I checked all my connections and all are secured. I also tried a different wall outlet without any change in the hum or red LED light when switching the back rocker switch to off.

I will call Ayre when they open later in the morning, but wanted to get other VX-5 owner's input.

Do any of you other VX-5 owners hear a hum which comes from their VX-5s? Is the red LED light normal when powering down the unit?

All input from owners would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM

Not sure how this applies to your issue but some amps produce hum when they are powered up but the connected pre-amp is powered off.

I had a hum issue with one of my Momentum's when I first purchased them. It was rectified by Dan and only occurred when first powered once it was returned. The hum issue was completely eliminated when I connected the Ayre pre to the Momentum's. Quiet as a church mouse now.

Last edited by Still-One; 01-14-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Not sure how this applies to your issue but some amps produce hum when they are powered up but the connected pre-amp is powered off. I had a hum issue with one of my Momentum's when I first purchased them. It was rectified by Dan and only occurred when first powered one it was returned. The hum issue was completely eliminated when I connected the Ayre pre to the Momentum's. Quiet as a church mouse now.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.

I will power on my preamp and take a listen again.

Bob
Old 01-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Turning on the preamp did not change the hum. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM

I don't have this issue on my VX-5. I'd notice this definitely, as I'm pretty sensitive to noise. I had an Emotiva stereo amp (XPA-2), a few years back, before I had the Ayre V-5xe, and it had the 60Hz hum and drove me crazy. Neither the V-5xe or VX-5 have the hum.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 01-14-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
I don't have this issue on my VX-5. I'd notice this definitely, as I'm pretty sensitive to noise. I had an Emotiva stereo amp (XPA-2), a few years back, before I had the Ayre V-5xe, and it had the 60Hz hum and drove me crazy. Neither the V-5xe or VX-5 have the hum.
Thanks for the info. Is your VX-5 dead quiet when you put your ear next to the top ventilation slots?

I can hear the hum more than a foot away. I wonder if it is a defective transformer which might possibly get worse over time?

I put in a voice message to Ayre about it, but have not heard back from them yet.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Something to check. I have heard that toroidal transformers are very sensitive to DC in line circuits and the result is HUMMMM. This might be the cause. Perhaps one of the resident EEs can offer more.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 PM

UPDATE:

Alex Brinkman of Ayre confirmed that hearing a hum about a foot or so away is normal for most SS amps including the VX-5. I really appreciate Alex's prompt reply to my phone message about my concern despite CES.

I was used to the dead silence of my previous Class D Hybrid amp with an analog power supply, so when I got near my VX-5 I became a little concerned that something may have been wrong.

As a side note, my new VX-5 sounds wonderful at only about 13 hours of music playing through it paired with my new Audio Research 5SE with only 73 hours logged on it. I am told that both will sound better with more break-in.

Bob
Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 PM

I really think Alex is wrong here
It's not normal to hear a hum a foot away from any amp
My VX-5 is silent
Have your dealer replace your amp
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM

I just checked my amp. I hear an extremely faint hum but only when my ear is 2 inches from the top screen. From the listening chair, can't hear a thing at all. Can't hear anything when my ear is more than 2 inches away from the top of the amp.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers