AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 PM
That's a Deusy !

Thumbs up Favorite bbq books

My personal favorite is Willingham's championship bbq what is yours?
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 PM

I don't thing a BBQ book of any kind would taste very good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Not a book, but a webpage I found that has some good info. I've used this for some ribs and for brisket.
BBQ Ribs Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Grilling Techniques, Baby Back Ribs, Barbeque Spareribs, Outdoor Cooking, Rating Grills and Smokers

And...not to brag...well....kinda.....ribs I did over Memorial Day:
Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 AM

Weber has a good bbq cookbook
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
Not a book, but a webpage I found that has some good info. I've used this for some ribs and for brisket.
BBQ Ribs Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Grilling Techniques, Baby Back Ribs, Barbeque Spareribs, Outdoor Cooking, Rating Grills and Smokers

And...not to brag...well....kinda.....ribs I did over Memorial Day:
Those look great. How do you do them?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse: John Stage, Nancy Radke: 9781580089715: Amazon.com: Books

Have had great results with their recipes for sauces and rubs.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I like a cookbook that specifies readily available ingredients, provides superb recipes, explains the process of preparing the meal/entree/etc in terms that a simpleton like me can understand . . . . And the winner for bar-B-que (we actually use the word "barbecue" down here the highly cultured southland) is . . . .

The Gas Grill Gourmet - Great Grilled Food for Everyday Meals and Fantastic Feasts
by A. Cort Sinnes

This guy has great recipes and makes it easy to follow and fix the food!

I have the original 1996 edition, which I love, but when I looked it up on Amazon just now, I found a 2005 "updated" edition, which I just ordered. I use the recipes for both my gas grill and my Big Green Egg.

The original book:

And the new "improved" edition: Click on the cover to go to the Amazon Listing:

. . . ⬇⬇⬇CLICK ME ⬇⬇⬇

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 PM
The Architect

I own most of the Weber bbq cookbooks, and have also been playing with the rub and sauce recipes out of this one:

Amazon.com: Soaked, Slathered, and Seasoned: A Complete Guideto Flavoring Food for the Grill (9780470186480): Elizabeth Karmel: Books

I still need to try out doing a brine!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Those look great. How do you do them?
Thanks!

These were my best yet. But I'm always trying to up my 'q game.

The satisfying thing to me is that these were done on my propane grill...but....set up for two zone heating and smoke.

The ribs were rubbed the night before with a mixture of dry rub that I like (Bone Sucking Sauce rib rub) and white pepper for a bit of warm/back of the mouth 'warmth'.

I set up grill for two zone cooking: one side with the gas going for the heat, the ribs on the other side for indirect heat for low and slow.

I used a digital thermometer to perfectly dial in the temp where the ribs were to be a constant 225F.

And the smoke came from two sources: foil pouches of hickory chips over the burner that was on for the heat, and a tube pellet smoker that once lit will smoke like incense.

As foil pouches burned thru the wood chips, I would open the grill, replace a new foil pouch of chips, turn the ribs, and spray with a mixture of water and apple juice to keep moist.

3hrs later, I upped the heat, basted the ribs with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, get a nice carmel crisp to the finish - then let rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.

I always ask the family to brutally rate the ribs...1 to 10 - got solid 8.5s with a 9 from my oldest son.

I think what worked better for me was the digital thermometer and constant smoke so that I wasn't always opening the lid to check on things.....as they say "If you are lookin' - you ain't cookin'!"
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 PM
That's a Deusy !

They look good what kind of wood did you use? I love ribs with plum and peach with a little hickory for good measure
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003