AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Vinyl recordings have to meet RIAA specs. The volume is more or less the same for every recording. Compression varies for each recording on LP and is a different process than for CD, so some CD's may have a louder passage on certain portions of a song vs the LP version- example: 1812 Overture.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:15 PM

CD's seem all over the place. They appear mastered to "sound better" in car stereos and on crap radio.

I'm with you with the CD's, since I got back into vinyl I have not bought a CD in a year, but I buy about three albums a week. I have to stay away from the record store. If I walk by one getting a coffee I end up walking back with 60 bucks worth of black plastic.

One aspect of vinyl I find so intoxicating is percussion; drums, cymbals, glass etc., I have never experienced such air and realism and enjoyment.

Maybe if I had a 6000.00 CDP I would have that sound.

Last edited by EasyRiderNYC; 06-11-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Easy Rider,

What TT set up do you have.

Those of us that love vinyl all seem to agree... it is just plain more INVOLVING!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRiderNYC View Post
CD's seem all over the place. They appear mastered to "sound better" in car stereos and on crap radio.

I'm with you with the CD's, since I got back into vinyl I have not bought a CD in a year, but I buy about three albums a week. I have to stay away from the record store. If I walk by one getting a coffee I end up walking back with 60 bucks worth of black plastic.

One aspect of vinyl I find so intoxicating is percussion; drums, cymbals, glass etc., I have never experienced such air and realism an enjoyment.

Maybe if I had a 6000.00 CDP I would have that sound.
Were on the same page my friend! I have a $6k CDP and had a $16k MDA/MCD combo... Trust me, you ain't missing much with a good table.

Sure there are some things that a great CDP can do on a great recording but overall, I'll take a little step back in resolution but have gained much more in terms of musical enjoyment.

No, I'm not some crazed vinyl junkie sitting in a corner with a stack of records in my arms and a bewildered look on my face as the digital brigade is nearing me with a cross to nail me onto. I'm square in the middle, one side of the room is CDs and the other starting to be vinyl. I'm sure I'll find a happy balance in the middle. To me vinyl is another way to collect music, have fun and enjoy great listening sessions.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Were on the same page my friend! I have a $6k CDP and had a $16k MDA/MCD combo... Trust me, you ain't missing much with a good table.

Sure there are some things that a great CDP can do on a great recording but overall, I'll take a little step back in resolution but have gained much more in terms of musical enjoyment.

No, I'm not some crazed vinyl junkie sitting in a corner with a stack of records in my arms and a bewildered look on my face as the digital brigade is nearing me with a cross to nail me onto. I'm square in the middle, one side of the room is CDs and the other starting to be vinyl. I'm sure I'll find a happy balance in the middle. To me vinyl is another way to collect music, have fun and enjoy great listening sessions.
Indeed.

FYI if you like Serge Gainsbourg the "Back To Black" new releases of "histoire of melody nelson" and "Jane Birkin Serge Gainsbourg" sound fantastic. I've been listening to them several times a week.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Easy Rider,

What TT set up do you have.

Those of us that love vinyl all seem to agree... it is just plain more INVOLVING!!!
Nothing fancy.

I have a Rega P3-24 with external PSU, Groovetracer sub platter and tone arm weight.

Cheers.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRiderNYC View Post
Indeed.

FYI if you like Serge Gainsbourg the "Back To Black" new releases of "histoire of melody nelson" and "Jane Birkin Serge Gainsbourg" sound fantastic. I've been listening to them several times a week.

I'll see if I can find some of his stuff.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Shane, not only volume but I can't even mute the system without getting up either. That's alright, I can use the exercise and I'm really enjoying the Lamm right now and the KX-R is taking a break. Once the 324 arrives (I already bought it) I'll see what goes with what. I'll see if I can get my hands on the 88PB but the 324 is not too shabby according to all the reviews I've read. Yes, I'm buying it without having heard it. Just seemed like a good choice and people I've asked have highly recommended it. We'll see.
Yea mute is important as well. I am sure you will enjoy the EAR 324 as it is very similar to the 88PB but with SS gain. At this level, just like vinyl, carewfully selected tube items can really add to the whole dimension.

Just got a cj ART series 3 prem amp. WOW, the series 3 is a huge step up in everything enjoyable about music - that is out of the box. need 300-400 hours for the teflon caps to break in. My technician who changed from 120 to 240 vlts had a listen before he returned it. he said it was the best pre amp he had ever heard - he was amazed.

cheers, enjoy the vinyl experience. You will find further up the tree you will get superior resolution, transparency and extension to CD, with that tonal relaxed quality you would be hearing now.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Yea mute is important as well. I am sure you will enjoy the EAR 324 as it is very similar to the 88PB but with SS gain. At this level, just like vinyl, carewfully selected tube items can really add to the whole dimension.

Just got a cj ART series 3 prem amp. WOW, the series 3 is a huge step up in everything enjoyable about music - that is out of the box. need 300-400 hours for the teflon caps to break in. My technician who changed from 120 to 240 vlts had a listen before he returned it. he said it was the best pre amp he had ever heard - he was amazed.

cheers, enjoy the vinyl experience. You will find further up the tree you will get superior resolution, transparency and extension to CD, with that tonal relaxed quality you would be hearing now.
I did some research about the EAR 324 and everyone agrees it doesn't sound like typical ss nor tubes. It is somewhere in the middle and has gotten great reviews. I have tubes in the chain now, Lamm pre and Lamm hybrids so I have a nice balance for my preference. One of the many strengths of Lamm is uncanny air and spaciousness their gear creates. The SS Ayre KX-R is also squarely in the middle and blurs the lines between two camps so I am in good company.

Haven't heard the CJ 3 but I'm sure it must be great as most CJ gear is at the top. Enjoy!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to experimenting with analog and going up the ladder. I'm glad I started down low so I can experiment and tweak without the worries of damaging an expensive cart. Something to look forward to is smooth sounding MC carts and even better tables.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM

"To me vinyl is another way to collect music, have fun and enjoy great listening sessions."

Same