AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
Serge, what do you want to say with "forward", about acrylic non suspended TTs?

If I translate well, I'm not OK at all with that, because yesterday we talked about the depth and the width of the soundstage.
When I say "forward" I do mean "extraverted", I am not talking about the soundstage although gear that sounds "forward" or having a little more energy in the upper mids/treble also tends to bring the center image forward a bit. Now, "forward" sounding usually means "lively" and "bold" with much detail retrieval and for some it is a bit fatiguing in the long run, especially when listening to less than optimal recording on digital and even some LPs.

I find the acrylic platters to have a little boost in the "presence region" and above, probably due to the fact that resonance takes place higher up with acrylic. Now of course there are exceptions and some actually prefer that type of detail retrieval and emphasis on leading edge transients. I tend to prefer non-acrylic platters.

However, much has to do with the overall system synergy, it is quite possible to find balance with acrylic tables and the rest of the system.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM

All right Serge with your last words.

perhaps the smooth side of the C1000T is matching the "extraverted" sound of my TT, I really don't know, what I know is that I would not want to change this sounding.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
All right Serge with your last words.

perhaps the smooth side of the C1000T is matching the "extraverted" sound of my TT, I really don't know, what I know is that I would not want to change this sounding.
Jean-Marc, if everyone found the acrylic platter too forward sounding and not fitting into their system, they would all eventually stop making them or go out of business. Of course it is all about synergy and the C1000T is indeed a great preamp and I can see how it may balance out with your turntable. I've had a C500 myself recently, so I have an understanding of what the sonic signature is. Don't let my earlier statement detract you from enjoying your wonderful system. Since we like to discuss audio and its characteristics here, I found it appropriate to stick my .02 cents into it but not to criticize your choice of a turntable.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:16 AM

Serge, no problem or misunderstanding at all; I didn't think you were criticizing my system, and even if it was the case, I would not change my choices because I enjoy my system that much.
The problem is I don't speak english as well as you and my words could be not precise enough.
And I always (since AK) do appreciate your .02 cents because you speak of things you experienced, not of rumors or what the other one said.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Jean-Marc.......Well said. Experience is the best teacher.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jerome, I've always thought that the Clearaudio TTs were a bit forward sounding. The suggestion of an MM cart may hit the balance point nicely. Of course some of the smoother/warmer sounding MC carts can also work nicely when you get a step up tranny.
To get back to Serge's original comment, I would have agreed strongly with this comment a few years back, but Clearaudio appear to have taken this to heart and I have noticed quite a change in their cartridges (especially their top end ones) and even their tts. They appear to have mellowed considerably in that they are less aggressive yet have retained all the detail.

May be their production of the MT10 had a profound effect??

howie
Old 04-25-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
To get back to Serge's original comment, I would have agreed strongly with this comment a few years back, but Clearaudio appear to have taken this to heart and I have noticed quite a change in their cartridges (especially their top end ones) and even their tts. They appear to have mellowed considerably in that they are less aggressive yet have retained all the detail.

May be their production of the MT10 had a profound effect??

howie
I searched some reviews and it appears that Mikey Fremer thought the same thing I did about the Clearaudio. Difference being he has much more experience with different TTs and I don't. http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/888/index.html
Old 04-26-2009, 03:28 AM

This review is quite old, 6 years; about the easiness to install, things have changed a lot; my dealer has set it up in less than 1 hour, including , arm (the new Satisfy is a no brainer, very simple to set up, compared to the Unify),cart etc...

About sound, I do agee with howie on the new Clearaudio carts: they got big evolutions .

The Champ 2 is that good that even my dealer was blown away when we compared with the MT10, which I found excellent btw.

Again, it's the combination of TT/cart/arm etc...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
The one thing I am going to STRONGLY recommend to anyone considering a cartridge is to go with a micro-line stylus design. The micro-line geometry does wonders for inner-groove distortion and surface noise. I no longer dread reaching the last couple of tracks on an LP.

Alberto
Honestly Alberto I believe the stylus design to have little to do with how good or bad the last couple of tracks on an LP actually track. My denon 103r tracks brilliantly and that is only a simple " shock horro" spherical stylus.
Any well setup cartridge will track the innermost tracks on an LP as well as the outer tracks.
If you are getting inner groove distortion from the inner tracks ( assuming your cartridge is not damaged) you have definately not set the cartridge up correctly.

May I suggest ALL vinyl lovers get an alignment tool like the Mint Tractor that allows you to set up the null points on an LP by using the cantilever, not the catridge.
You will be amazed how much better your table sounds when you have aligned correctly using the Mint tractor.

cheers