AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-25-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Your amp & speakers are fine. I would invest in an Altaira system instead.

Or, keep your amp, and get a pair of the new MoFi SourcePoint 10s and an Altaira system.

I heard the SourcePoint 10s for 4 hours on Saturday, and Andrew has hit another home run.

Will check it out.
Thanks!
Old 01-25-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hey Fred - hope your health improves quickly.

I have owned Aerials and have met Michael Kelly on a couple of occasions. I still have pangs of regret having sold them a few years back.

I have auditioned smaller SF speakers at home. Wonderful.

You need to see/listen to the speakers IMO.
Thanks!
Unfortunately, all I can hope for is to stay in similar condition for now.
I doubt I will improve, one of the many conditions I have flared up when we visited family in Duxbury Mass, I ended up in the ER and even though Ivan was busy for me to go by his place, there was no way I was going to be able to visit him.
Main thing, I just found a REALLY great doctor locally.
Since we moved up to Orlando, this place is very difficult to get to see good doctors.
They either are booked out for months or are not accepting new patients.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:32 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Your amp is definitely high end. I guess it depends on your listening habits too. If you listen to head-banging music at serious volume, then no, it may not have the power, but if you listen to more jazz and classical at reasonable volumes, you should be fine. I'm partial to the Stradivari because they're stunningly beautiful and sound gorgeous - one of Sf greatest designs. They're also relatively efficient at 92 db. The Wilsons sound very good too, although a bit more clinical to me. But one advantage of the Wilsons is they transform themselves and thwart villains too.
Attachment 68631
Fred - wishing you good health

As a SF Elipsa (91dB) owner I fully concur with Tony's advice, I can also tell you that even my smaller Audion 300B 2x8W amp will drive them effortlessly

The pair CJ/Stradivari will sound and look gorgeous!
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 01-31-2023, 07:30 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I have not heard the Stradivari/CJ combo, but SF can be a wee bit on the lush side. Coupled with CJ warmth, that romance might be emphasized.

Newer Wilsons are less efficient, but the MAXX 3s can be driven with lower wattage SET amps so there your CJ amp may be fine.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:20 PM

I was spending time going over the specs and dimensions before I start to audition.
I did some research and called a few dealers starting in Jacksonville to Tampa and find what speakers they had on display.
Also, we have the Florida Audio Expo coming up in 2 weeks, I will be there to listen, but unfortunately, it is difficult to achieve a good perspective when a room is full of people talking and moving about.
I am not in any hurry, I do love what I currently own, but naturally want to find what sounds better versus the price points. Doesn't make sense to spend $30K and not have much of an upgrade, or I can find something that sounds much better for only $5K (I wish!!!)
I did find that the Wilsons are much more efficient than the others. So I will be leaning more towards finding a set of Wilsons.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 02-01-2023, 01:46 PM

Famester, I owned a pair of Maxx3's for about 4 years. I believe in most rooms they are superior to Alexandria X-2's. The Maxx3's have absolutely superior bass. I can't say much about the rest of the speakers. Most subwoofers cannot keep up with a Maxx3. The reason Wilson developed the XLF with its front and rear port was a result of the superior bass of the Maxx3. It is difficult to fault the mid/treble of the Maxx3 as it is essentially the equal of an X-2.

Best

Charles
New gear on order: MC2.1KW Anniversary power amplifier; C12000 An preamplifier; MCD12000 An SACD/CD player; AQ 1 meter Dragon balanced IC; 2 meter AQ Hurricane HC power cord; 3 meter AQ Hurricane Source power cord; unspecified 3 meter AQ digital coaxial IC and power cord for my backup MVP851 DVD player given as a surprise gift to me by my dealer
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport; Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic; WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection; New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; Thor is now off my floor; MC3500MKII mono block amps (2) and two custom granite slabs; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover; new 75-ohm multi-directional FM antenna for tuner; total of eight additional Wilson Audio Heavy (red) pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks; JRiver Media Center 31
Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII mono blocks (2), McIntosh MC1.25KW’s (3). All amps set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 31)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie; custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from ActivXO crossover to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; Wilson Audio ActivXO electronic subwoofer crossover; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; eight Wilson Audio Heavy (red) Pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks (four placed under the rails of each amp)
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Your amp & speakers are fine. I would invest in an Altaira system instead.

Or, keep your amp, and get a pair of the new MoFi SourcePoint 10s and an Altaira system.

I heard the SourcePoint 10s for 4 hours on Saturday, and Andrew has hit another home run.
FYI: Music Direct/MOFI is offering a free 30 day audition of the MOFI SourcePoint 10 and they will cover the shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOFI.jpg (79.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-06-2023, 09:15 AM
Retired

Guess MD/MoFi can afford to do so with their Chinese speakers.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-15-2023, 10:29 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Advantage > Canton Ref K1’s by a huge margin.

And, these are all on a second floor?
Old 04-19-2023, 07:34 PM
Media Server Aficionado

It's like floor one and a half...