AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
... I'm going to live with it for a while more before deciding. ...
Check out the DSD-SE OEM upgrade when you get tired of the W4S DAC2. It is a nice upgrade which includes better internal parts, USB galvonic isolation, DSD support and 32bit/384KHz support.

I have been enjoying mine for a while now. I have thinking about picking up an extra used one and sending it in for the upgrade for use in another system.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:24 AM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post

If this is true, then Schiit stuff is now completely off my radar. /sigh At least Loki for DSD doesn't represent a significant investment...
I don't agree. More tomorrow after skiing, but I wouldn't agree. I'll explain if I can still walk after the first day of the season!

Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
Isn't that the truth, Pete? Sometimes it depresses, though. Just like with wine, once you get a taste of the Krug, Cook's just doesn't cut it anymore...
Lol...my current system costs a factor of 8 times more than the one I Had in 2011. And that system was pretty good! I'm on a banana peel on a sled on a sheet of ice with ball bearings and a jet pack!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:58 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Lol...my current system costs a factor of 8 times more than the one I Had in 2011. And that system was pretty good! I'm on a banana peel on a sled on a sheet of ice with ball bearings and a jet pack!
. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Learning to Listen

Didn't go skiing. Too warm. So, time to do some words...

Here's my thought about the W4S DAC2 vs. Schiit DACs. First of all, I can't compare the DAC2 with anything other than the Bifrost and Loki. I haven't heard the Gungnir.

The Bifrost is a smidge below the DAC2 in sound stage and AQ. A smidge. (I'm so expressive!) The Bifrost new costs $350/$450, the latter $ with USB. The DAC2 costs $1,500 list. And the difference is a smidge! I can't wait to hear what PC has to say about the Gungnir, but others who have that Schiit DAC appear to like it a lot. And that sells for $750/$850. I am assuming if the Bifrost was a smidge below the DAC2 at $450, then the Gungnir at $850 should be at least equal to the DAC2. And, brand new, you're still at only half the price. (The Loki is as good, IMO, as the Bifrost, and it sells for $150, but you have to be willing to do PCM over DSD, buy a bunch of DSD, or both. Everyone should experiment with the Loki.) I would not recommend a DAC2 retail. Used, yes. Sure, I'm one of those who likes to see what I can do for less, but to me the difference between the DAC2 and Bifrost was not that significant, and assuming the Gungnir is that much better than the Bifrost, then it places the DAC2 on the same value level as the $850 Schiit. You get a more talented DAC with the DAC2, such as a remote and the ability to use it as a pre. So that's worth some additional coin, but otherwise I wouldn't compare the DAC2 to the Bifrost. Rather, I'd compare a used DAC2 to the Gungnir, and other than the more talent inherited in the DAC2, my bet would be on both being about equal in the AQ department. All guesswork, of course, since I do not own nor have I heard a Gungnir.

You've also got to understand that my system, although improving, is still far from most folks here, especially in speaker placement and connections. Perhaps in a more sophisticated system, the DAC2 would outdistance the Bifrost even more, or perhaps the Bifrost would gain some ground, I just don't know. I do know that for the difference in price per AQ obtained, I would give the advantage to Schiit.

Not even 2 cents worth....

Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM

I have had mine for about 2 years now. I almost sent it back in to get the dsd upgrade. When i was talking to them, they did say the SE takes the dac2 to another level. I have a lot of sacd but not too much on the dsd side. Although I do have some hi rez flac. Wow. It is amazing with high rez. The Chesky sampler wake up your ears is just outstanding on that dac!

I know quite a few people that also use the w4s amps and actually liked the w4s amps over some class A amps!

This weekend I am going to try a tube buffer on the back of the dac2 and see how that sounds. If anyone gets one new, the sound does improve after 50-75 hours break in. On the used market, its hard to beat!

I did try mine running as a preamp and I preferred the sound of it running into my arc sp16 vs the dac2 right to the amp.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
I have had mine for about 2 years now. I almost sent it back in to get the dsd upgrade. When i was talking to them, they did say the SE takes the dac2 to another level. I have a lot of sacd but not too much on the dsd side. Although I do have some hi rez flac. Wow. It is amazing with high rez. The Chesky sampler wake up your ears is just outstanding on that dac!

I know quite a few people that also use the w4s amps and actually liked the w4s amps over some class A amps!

This weekend I am going to try a tube buffer on the back of the dac2 and see how that sounds. If anyone gets one new, the sound does improve after 50-75 hours break in. On the used market, its hard to beat!

I did try mine running as a preamp and I preferred the sound of it running into my arc sp16 vs the dac2 right to the amp.
I'm still debating. Let us know about your tube trial.

I must admit, it does sound good, but if I kept it, I would want a better integrated, and I'd be off on another round of upgrades ($).

Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
I'm still debating. Let us know about your tube trial.

I must admit, it does sound good, but if I kept it, I would want a better integrated, and I'd be off on another round of upgrades ($).
John.......You will be anyway eventually. Even when there's a lull it never ends. Personally I am glad because that's what keeps this hobby exciting and fresh.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......You will be anyway eventually. Even when there's a lull it never ends. Personally I am glad because that's what keeps this hobby exciting and fresh.
You're right, of course.

I plugged the AppleTV directly to the W4S DAC 2 instead of using the HDMI connection to the TV and routing it to the DAC. When we proceeded to start watching a Netflix series that we've been working our way through, both Mel and I said, "Wow!" simultaneously. She then went on to say, "What did you do this time?"

Guess I might be keeping it.......

Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Merry Christmas to all

John.......The W4S DAC2 is worth owning. It sounds wonderful, has a multitude of different digital inputs, can be used in fixed or variable output mode, has balanced and unbalanced outputs, and W4S has an upgrade path should you ever wish to take advantage of DSD. What's not to like. It's a keeper, in my opinion.