AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:13 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Akasa-based NUC for Roon and digital music playback

What with the development and release of high-end audio music servers (not referring to streamers or network bridges here, but the actual computer system that serves up music files) e.g. Taiko Extreme, Pink Faun, and Grimm, etc.,
I just purchased an Intel NUC i7 in an Akasa case with Roon ROCK installed from a local seller for only $350.

This thread will start with a series of posts describing the set-up and with photos depicting the implementation so that it's easy to follow along.

Here are the specs:
NUC7i7DNB
Ballistix 16Gb RAM
NVMe M.2 256GB Sabrent
Akasa Plato X8 fanless case - dead quiet and does not get hot.
Has Roon ROCK OS installed.

It's in a fanless Akasa case which is dead quiet and keeps the computer cool.

The purpose of this project was to compare my current 2012 Mac Mini-based Roon Core, which my hypothesis was would be "noisier" as it's powered by a SMPS, has an internal fan, and quite bit of unnecessary "overhead" of componentry and functionality. Eventually, I'll likely be powering the Akasa NUC with a quiet linear power supply, but right now, just powering it with a laptop-style 19V/3.6A SMPS.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-14-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Some pics of the set-up in the "remote server room"....

Top view showing EtherREGEN (under doorstop) at left rear, along with the AfterDark Master Clock and power supply, the Pace router at right, and the Akasa NUC Roon Core (which I've dubbed "Alita, Battle Angel", play on words there ) in front.

Everything powered by a Shunyata Gemini power distributor & Venom V14 NR PCs with Alpha and Venom ground cables going from EtherREGEN, Alita (via one of it's USB ports), and the Pace Router to Gemini's Altaira GP-NR subsystem, which makes everything really quiet.

Front view of Alita, Battle Angel servin' up tunes. 😺

Output from the Akasa NUC is via LC/LC optical fibre from EtherREGEN in the remote server room to the Lumin P1's SFP cage in the main audio rack in the listening area.

After just plugging it in and sitting down for a iisten, I was fairly blown away. It sounds....REALLY GOOD.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:32 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Listening impressions:

Up and running, an even streaming files from Qobuz rather than with files ripped from digital disc, it already was immediately clear that it sounds WAY better than my Mac Mini Roon Core. It's quite a bit more "dimensional", "fleshed out"-sounding with more body as well as "spaciousness" between the "voices", both instrumental and vocal. I just connected an external USD drive with a bunch of content, it found all the files and now I can access files ripped from digital disks as well as streaming from Qobuz. So far, I am very impressed, and I'm not even powering it with a linear power supply, yet. First time I listened to it, I literally blurted out, "F*ck me!"

I've decided to dub the Akasa NUC, Alita, as in "Alita, Battle Angel", as this puppy kicks ass!

Something I noted immediately was that at the previous volume setting I had the P1's LEEDH volume setting at using the Mac Mini, the Akasa NUC playback was quite a bit louder in SPL than the Mac Mini; on average about 10 VUs with LEEDH. So, a playback at 40 with the Mac Mini only needed 30 with Alita.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-14-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:07 PM
Retired

Interesting. I have a NUC sitting on the shelf that will eventually be the center of my digital efforts (likely this fall). Good to follow along.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-14-2023, 08:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Yeah, I've been wanting to do this project for some time now. I had considered buying an SGC Sonicorbiter or a Roon NUCleus, but this one popped locally up for a very reasonable price.

A coupla guys that have done a number of builds of these have also mentioned that the aftermarket heat-sink type cases, like the Akasa Plato X8 case shown here, sound better than just using an Intel NUC in it's OEM Intel case/chassis.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-14-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:59 PM

Great thread Stephen. I use a SGC with an opticalrendu. Quite pleased with the setup.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Last edited by dkorbal; 06-14-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post

Great thread Stephen. I use a SGC with an opticalrendu. Quite pleased with the setup.
Thanks, Doug. I thought quite a bit about getting an SGC Sonicorbiter, but this came up locally for only $350, 1/3 the cost of a base-level Sonicorbiter. Too good to pass up.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:27 AM

Welcome to the NUC club. I have a NUC 10i7FNH in an Akasa case. That’s it on the left on top of the Shunyata. You can see the EtherRegen peeking out from behind the NUC. I have my NUC connected differently than yours. It is connected to the B-side of the the ER with a WW Starlight ethernet cable and directly to the May DAC with a Shunyata Sigma USB. For the time being, it is sitting on Herbies Tenderfeet. It sounds really good as you already know. It runs Roon controlled by an iPod Mini.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1686892266.948139.jpg (39.8 KB, 33 views)
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:32 AM

The green wire is part of my highly successful $5 ground wire experiment I discussed in another thread. A truly effective, super low cost, proof-of-concept experiment that will be leading to the acquisition of some Shunyata ground cables.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:33 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Very cool, Rob! Thanks for posting. Cheers.