AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 10-30-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
Being setup properly is very important. Even shipped in the original packaging, rough handling during shipping can put a table out of adjustment. My ClearAudio dealer always checks the factory setup tables to see that they are still setup properly.

I would buy from a local dealer who will check everything and setup the table. Even if you buy a factory setup table/arm/cart package.
While this is usually true, I have set up many Concept MMs before and they have been pretty much spot on out of the box. They are incredibly well packed. Over in Australia, there are many smaller towns that just don't have a local hifi store so this is IMHO the next best thing.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 AM

So my dealer has a used Pro Ject RM 9.2 with a Ortofon Jubilee. I can get a Pro ject tube phonostage all within the budget with an upgrade path on the phonostage at a later time.

I’m wondering how’d that would compare to something like a new Rega P6 with the Rega phonostage. My local dealer does not sell Rega or VPI

I’m going to take a listen at some point later this month.

#somanydecisions
Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM

If you like the dealer, have confidence and trust in him, that seems like a good start.
The phono stage may be the weak link though.

A quality phono stage is vital.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
So my dealer has a used Pro Ject RM 9.2 with a Ortofon Jubilee. I can get a Pro ject tube phonostage all within the budget with an upgrade path on the phonostage at a later time.

I’m wondering how’d that would compare to something like a new Rega P6 with the Rega phonostage. My local dealer does not sell Rega or VPI

I’m going to take a listen at some point later this month.

#somanydecisions
good start, let's 'hear' what your ears have to say !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
If you like the dealer, have confidence and trust in him, that seems like a good start.
agreed ..

Quote:
The phono stage may be the weak link though.

A quality phono stage is vital.
agreed as well but given the 'putting ones toes into the water' that Pete is approaching this with, I think he is just fine. Remember, a quality phono stage, while no doubt important, need not cost a fortune !
Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
#somanydecisions
The Rega is also outstanding, and plug and play could make your entrance into vinyl less intimidating with faster enjoyment.

Many outline stores offer a 30-60 day trial period for Rega.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-01-2018, 09:23 AM

I think he knows me pretty well over the years. He wants me to get started spinning and maybe upgrade that phonostage which is why he is working on a better one for a future upgrade. I’m not too juiced about the look of a 2 piece design of the Pro Ject But it’s the sound that’s the important part. It was owned by a valued audiophile customer so it was treated well. I like the look of the Rega P6, it has speed control, a decent cart, and matching phonostage. But no local dealer support. I think Ivan may sell Rega. Might reach out and see.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:26 AM

The 9.2 is a good table. I believe it’s been replaced in the line by the 9 Carbon, but Audio Advisor still shows it on their website on sale for $1,849. I understand the Ortofon Jubilee was an excellent cartridge and listed for about 1,800 when launched about 12 years ago. My only concern with it would be the age and potential wear, since I think it’s been out of production for some time. Perhaps if you can get this setup for under $2k it might be a good buy, but used older cartridges are always a bit of a gamble in my mind.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 AM

I would browse hifishark for a used Fosgate Signature. A fair price would be around $1200. This is an excellent sounding phono stage that you can grow with. Not an inexpensive entry level phono stage that won't do your records justice. The phono preamp is one of the most important factors in an analog front end. And the Fosgate is east to tube roll if you feel the need.

I would seriously consider a ClearAudio Concept Wood. This is a great sounding package. You can choose either MM or MC. The Fosgate Signature supports both MM and MC. You want a table that you don't have to fiddle with all the time.

This will give you a great sounding analog front end to start with. You can always upgrade the table later if you feel the need. But I think you will find the Fosgate is a keeper.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
So my dealer has a used Pro Ject RM 9.2 with a Ortofon Jubilee. I can get a Pro ject tube phonostage all within the budget with an upgrade path on the phonostage at a later time. I’m wondering how’d that would compare to something like a new Rega P6 with the Rega phonostage. My local dealer does not sell Rega or VPI I’m going to take a listen at some point later this month. #somanydecisions
That's a very nice table, arm and cartridge combo. High mass platter, separate motor for super quiet operation, well regarded carbon fiber arm. I especially think the cartridge is very good - an Ortofon with short boron cantilever and shibata stylus. New that setup would be nudging the $4k price point. I'd say your dealer is offering a combo that would be very much at home in your system. An RP6 with an Exact cartridge is not in the same league. The weak link is the preamp and so it might make sense to see what other options your dealer can provide that won't bust your budget.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-01-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I think he knows me pretty well over the years. He wants me to get started spinning and maybe upgrade that phonostage which is why he is working on a better one for a future upgrade. I’m not too juiced about the look of a 2 piece design of the Pro Ject But it’s the sound that’s the important part. It was owned by a valued audiophile customer so it was treated well. I like the look of the Rega P6, it has speed control, a decent cart, and matching phonostage. But no local dealer support. I think Ivan may sell Rega. Might reach out and see.
The Pro Ject also does not have a dust cover and dust can be a PIA.

If you go the Rega route, get the Planar 6 (P6) with a factory-mounted Ania MC cartridge, as opposed to the Exact cartridge.

You also need to know where your putting this table..............I recommend wall mount.

Now, I'm sure your totally confused.

Ron