AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Bump. . .

I'd like to resuscitate this thread with a couple of recent suggestions and recommendations.

Fuji X-10 - excellent little camera, better IQ than the Canon "G" cameras - larger sensor and very sharp lens. I recently bought one and love it.
Julian,
Glad to hear your enjoying your X10. In addition to the larger sensor and very sharp lens, the lens is also very fast, from f/2.0 at the wide end to only f/2.8 at the long end. This, plus with it's EXR sensor, gives it the ability to take amazing images in low light with very low noise at high ISO, or hold dynamic range for landscapes. It also is very feature-rich, with built-in 360 pano mode and optical image stabilization built into the lens as only a few of it's features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Bump. . .
Sony NEX - 6. Recently introduced, interchangable lens mirrorless camera. Seems to have all the bells and whistles currently available anywhere. Only a bit larger than the "G" series Canons but with huge (for a compact camera) 16 MP APS-C sensor and collapsable 16-50 mm zoom lens. Looks like a winner - and $400 less than the new Fuji X-E1, which has about the same specs (but, with a much larger, faster zoom lens, which takes it out of the "compact camera" class) - The Fuji has been introduced, but probably a "wait" for availability.
Well, as we know with audio gear, "specs" aren't everything. What the Sony doesn't have, that the Fuji X-E1 does, is the proprietary and amazing Fuji X-Trans CMOS sensor; this sensor requires and has no anti-aliasing filter like the Sony and Canons do, and as a result, has notably higher image quality. I've read reviews and comments from several pros that have switched from their Nikon and Canon dSLR kits to the Fuji X-trans sensor cameras (the X-Pro1 and new X-E1) that these sensors out-resolve the Nikon D3 and Canon 5D MkII. All the pros that are using it absolutely rave about the image quality.

There's a nice review of it by a working pro here:
Photo Madd | CAMERA: Fujifilm X-E1

and check out these wonderful pics by Derek Cleland using his X-Pro1, which has the same exact sensor as the X-E1:

http://www.flixelpix.com/blog/20-lon...thern-ireland/

Also, here's a great blog/Fuji X-camera news/review aggregator site:
Fuji X-Pro1 | Scoop.it

if you think I'm biased about these cameras...you're right.

They are, in a word, WONDERFUL.

Also, X-E1s are shipping now....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-17-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Stephen, which leather case do you like for the Fuji X-10?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Randy,
I use the Fuji hard leather case....see my "X10 pic" in the other thread.

The cover snaps off and leaves the half-case available for use.

If you want links to other cases, let me know...there are a no. of them out there.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 AM

i still enjoy my canon S100!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Bodhisattva

I own a Canon Ixus 860is which has a large lcd display, wide angle zoom & takes terrific photo's for a compact camera! It also looks lovely

Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 AM

The new Fuji XF1 is another contender. It has the same sensor as the infamous X10. And it's compact.

FUJIFILM XF1 | Fujifilm Global