AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 11-27-2018, 01:42 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
Hi Tima.

I just took delivery of ONE apeture panel a few days ago and noticed a big difference, especially in bass control.
Im thinking of getting either 1 or 2 more.
I dont expect the improvements to double with each panel added but considering you have 6, I wanted to get your opinion as you experimented.

Beautiful set up BTW.
Hi Mark

Thanks.

I started with 6 (on loan) for experimentation and I tried all sorts of placement and combinations. It's been a few years and I don't remember the effects from each combination. However I can share my opinion - every room is different - in general:

I think the bare minimum is two, located one each somewhere behind each speaker or alternatively, two vertically in the middle. I can't say whether the impact is doubled or not, but it is definitely significant - it was easy to hear the improvement with each Aperture I added.

More are better, up to a point. It certainly is possible to over-damp.

Two - as above.
Three - one behind each speaker and one in the middle -or- one in the middle and one at each sidewall first reflection point.
Four - one behind each speaker and one on each side wall at the first reflection point.
Five - same as Four + one in the middle between speakers.
Six - same as Five + one behind the listening position.

When I say "behind each speaker" that means within, say, a one-and-a-half foot spread to either side. Here's where experimenting helps. Same for height - you'll definitely want to experiment. The 3M Command Strips help for experimenting; I actually bought a few extra along the way. It took me a long time to commit to hanging them on the wall with the included Z-hangers. And I admit that, to some minor extent, aesthetics was a factor - I wanted a nice even arrangement.

Depending on your room and speakers it may be that 2 each on the side walls at first reflection will help. That was not the case for me.

I currently have 11. As shown is picture above, 6 behind speakers, 1 on each sidewall. Not shown are the 3 spread evenly across the back wall. Those back 3 have less impact than those in front, but they do help pull the soundstage a bit more into the room - that is, more depth. You can kinda see them in the picture under my profile.

Probably more than you wanted to know! It was fun trying different positions, but I took my time across a couple months and took notes. They are easy to move around.

Imo, the overall results are not small. The Apertures transformed my room and my listening experience - I would not give them up.

Last edited by tima; 11-27-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Music Nut

I have 5 Apertures, in the arrangement described for "five" in the previous post.

I went from 2 to 5.

I tried one on the rear wall, behind the listening position (paired with two behind speakers, and two at first reflection points...then paired with two stacked middle and two behind speakers...then with two stacked middle and two at first reflection point).

I then tried all five on front wall in various configurations.

Ended with two behind speakers and one in center of front wall, and one at each first reflection point. The difference was significant and the best combination for my room. Due to doors, etc... I have the two at first reflection points on Aperture stands for easy movement to the reflection points and it works very well.
Two Channel: YG Acoustics Carmel, REL S/3 (pair); Bricasti M25 / M20 / M1 Limited Gold, Laufer Teknik Memory Player 64 32 core; Stealth Sextet V15T AES/EBU, Echole Obsession XLR, Liquid Cables by Laufer Teknik speaker / USB / power; Nordost QB8mkII, Qx1/Qv2/QKore3; Stillpoints Apertures, various Artnovion; Stillpoints Ultra SS, IsoAcoustics Gaia II
Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 PM

I've settled on 3 for my system, 1 centered behind my speakers and one beside each speaker.
Nothing, and i mean nothing has made a greater leap forward sonically than these panels.
For $2400, I got $25,000 worth of value.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
I've settled on 3 for my system, 1 centered behind my speakers and one beside each speaker.
Nothing, and i mean nothing has made a greater leap forward sonically than these panels.
For $2400, I got $25,000 worth of value.
Good job Mark, big gains for smaller outlay!

These testamonials truly speak to the importance of acoustics; typically they have a greater sonic impact than a new DAC or cables, preamp or cartridge. If you have not given your room its due, you don't know yet the capabilities of what you have, and, you won't get there if just keep buying new electronics.

And here's another 'secret': the same holds true for vibration abatement. Consider platforms that are colorless, that allow the native characters of your components to speak for themselves, rather than trying to tune or adjust their sound to something they're not.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post

And here's another 'secret': the same holds true for vibration abatement. Consider platforms that are colorless, that allow the native characters of your components to speak for themselves, rather than trying to tune or adjust their sound to something they're not.
Hi Tima.
What do use in your system?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Hi Tima.
What do use in your system?
Hi - I use Silent Running Audio's Scuttle-3 rack for front-end components and their Virginia Class platforms for my amps. Results are impressive.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:43 AM

Thanks Tim for pointing me to this thread.

I just ordered 2 Apertures from Ivan and can’t wait to start experimenting with them. Luckily they are easy to move around.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Thanks Tim for pointing me to this thread.

I just ordered 2 Apertures from Ivan and can’t wait to start experimenting with them. Luckily they are easy to move around.
You're welcome, Paul. Have fun placing your new Apertures!
Old 04-17-2021, 12:10 AM

So I’ve been experimenting with the 2 Apertures II that I have. My new listening room is it’s beginning stages so I’m still finding the best place for my speakers and subwoofers.

I started with the Apertures at the 1st reflection points on both sidewalls and listened for a few days. As much as I enjoyed the placement something just wasn’t right. As I stated above the room is new and it could be anything at this point that’s not right.

So after the few days I placed 1 dead center on the back wall and 1 dead center on the front wall behind the speakers. Now we are cooking with gas, what a huge improvement. Much more focused and layered. I don’t even want to move them, but after a few days I will try something else.

In the mean time I just ordered 2 more Apertures from our fearless leader Ivan.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:34 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
So I’ve been experimenting with the 2 Apertures II that I have. My new listening room is it’s beginning stages so I’m still finding the best place for my speakers and subwoofers.

I started with the Apertures at the 1st reflection points on both sidewalls and listened for a few days. As much as I enjoyed the placement something just wasn’t right. As I stated above the room is new and it could be anything at this point that’s not right.

So after the few days I placed 1 dead center on the back wall and 1 dead center on the front wall behind the speakers. Now we are cooking with gas, what a huge improvement. Much more focused and layered. I don’t even want to move them, but after a few days I will try something else.

In the mean time I just ordered 2 more Apertures from our fearless leader Ivan.
There you have it! The one on the back wall should pull the sound stage a bit further toward the listener - or that's my experience. With four, you'll have several combinations to try. Experimenting with Apertures is fun to do.