AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 10-31-2021, 09:15 AM

Default Accuphase single-ended vs balanced with P-1000 and C-275V

When using my Accuphase P-1000 amp with C-275V preamp, I've always questioned whether or not to use balanced vs. single ended cables. To my understanding, neither the P-1000 or C-275V are truly balanced designs. (someone correct me if I'm mistaken). With this in mind, it seems using RCA cables would make for the most direct signal path and better sound quality. Curious as to you guy's thoughts before I invest in more cables.

None of my sources are Accuphase, so they are the standard XLR pinout design used with gear here in USA. I currently have been using balanced cables throughtout and select "invert phase" on the preamp. Maybe going to nice single ended cables throughout would be the better option?

Last edited by Breakdown7; 10-31-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post
When using my Accuphase P-1000 amp with C-275V preamp, I've always questioned whether or not to use balanced vs. single ended cables. To my understanding, neither the P-1000 or C-275V are truly balanced designs. (someone correct me if I'm mistaken). With this in mind, it seems using RCA cables would make for the most direct signal path and better sound quality. Curious as to you guy's thoughts before I invest in more cables.

None of my sources are Accuphase, so they are the standard XLR pinout design used with gear here in USA. I currently have been using balanced cables throughtout and select "invert phase" on the preamp. Maybe going to nice single ended cables throughout would be the better option?
C-275V: the input and output circuits are balanced, the potentiometer is not.
XLR polarity is inversed (2=inverted, 3= non inverted).
When using non Accuphase sources you can select the output phase of the C-275V. However the audible effect might be very small or even imperceptible.

P-1000: the input and driver stages are balanced, the output stage is not (just push-pull).

IMHO the sound quality is more convincing with balanced cables, provided the cables are absolute top notch.

Try to get some demo cables from a dealer and compare for yourself.

Martin
Old 11-02-2021, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post

That's a very excellent question. I think it comes down to hum in your system. Do you have any hum at all? Can you turn all your inputs to 100% and have no hum? If you can then unless you need long runs of cable balanced doesn't matter.

However, I don't think single ended connections are as reliable as balanced. I thought the optical connection a bit bright compared to coaxial. So I bit the bullet and bought a digital coaxial (must be single ended) IC to go from my MVP 881 BR to my Mac D1100. It was a WEL Signature and the cost was 4K for one meter!

I got home looking forward to a nothing to it hook up. Well, the connection was tight, really tight on one end of the IC. To make a long frustrating story short, Audioquest didn't even balk at the fact the interconnect was defective and the replacement one was fine but I wouldn't even take it home until it was hooked up at the dealer to verify a good connection. The sound was super but it brought back all the bad memories I've had with RCA connectors.

In general, I avoid all single ended connections if at all possible. Even so it becomes virtually impossible to keep all of them out of your system. But if you have zero hum and your RCA connections are tight but not too tight, i.e., just right, I think there is no audible difference. Then you are down to the quality of the cable or interconnect.

If I can, I never use single ended cables or IC's.

Best

Charles

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport. Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic. WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection.
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP 881 BR player; MCT 500 transport; MVP 851 DVD player
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

Last edited by Charles; 11-02-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:03 PM

Thanks so much for the input guys. I definitely agree that XLR connections are much more secure, no doubt about it. The two reasons I was second guessing balanced cables with the Accuphase system are, simplifying the signal path and the +/- pin layout being reversed to the US standard. Maybe I am overthinking this thing. I really do appreciate the input thus far and anyone else who cares to share their experiences.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:19 PM

Truly balanced cables are always to be preferred if there is the option because of CMR. There are a number of very well respected audio designers who consider SE cables to be the Devil’s work . . .