AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-08-2021, 09:01 PM

Default Need some power cord advice

Hi all, new to this forum. I have been an audiophile for 45 years or so and it still fascinates me. For years I was a nay sayer when it came to cables. I finally started using Monster interconnects, as well as speaker cable. Sounded pretty good. Played around with some others that I could afford. But when it came to power cables, I drew the line. No way a power cable is going to make my system sound better. Fast forward to 2018. Picked up some Venom 3 cables for all my components. Could hear an improvement, not huge, but it was there. Spent the last 2 years playing around with speaker cables and interconnects. Also did some tube rolling. I knew the equipment I currently have was capable of producing the sound that I was looking for. I started looking at the power end of the components and started experimenting with some older Shunyata equipment. I started with a Hydra 6 and upgraded all the cables to Venom HC.

I finally ended up purchasing a used Triton V1 with Python Ztron cable and a Cobra Ztron for the amp and DAC. When I hooked everything up and turned it on, my mouth was wide open. I had never heard a speaker cable, interconnect or tube that made such a huge improvement in the sound. Everything from top to bottom was unbelievable. So now I have the bug and so far I have tried the new Delta NR V2 in my Conrad Johnson Premier 140 amp and PS Audio Directstream DAC. The Delta's are quieter and have better transparency at the cost of a reduction in warmth. I am a midrange critic. The rest of my system consists of Martin Logan Prodigy, new panels, Melco N1Z/2 music server. I use the PS Audio DAC as my preamp volume control. I am using the new WireWorld series 8 Platinum USB cable, Interconnects are Audioquest Fire, Speaker cables are Audioquest Earth. My question is: Where would the power cable upgrade benefit the most? How much would the Alpha V2 better the Delta V2. With the Triton, is an NR PC necessary for the amp? Hope I am not confusing. All replies appreciated.

Last edited by skye; 09-09-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: entered wrong cable
Old 09-08-2021, 09:07 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

skye… Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 09-14-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
Hi all, new to this forum. I have been an audiophile for 45 years or so and it still fascinates me. For years I was a nay sayer when it came to cables. I finally started using Monster interconnects, as well as speaker cable. Sounded pretty good. Played around with some others that I could afford. But when it came to power cables, I drew the line. No way a power cable is going to make my system sound better. Fast forward to 2018. Picked up some Venom 3 cables for all my components. Could hear an improvement, not huge, but it was there. Spent the last 2 years playing around with speaker cables and interconnects. Also did some tube rolling. I knew the equipment I currently have was capable of producing the sound that I was looking for. I started looking at the power end of the components and started experimenting with some older Shunyata equipment. I started with a Hydra 6 and upgraded all the cables to Venom HC.

I finally ended up purchasing a used Triton V1 with Python Ztron cable and a Cobra Ztron for the amp and DAC. When I hooked everything up and turned it on, my mouth was wide open. I had never heard a speaker cable, interconnect or tube that made such a huge improvement in the sound. Everything from top to bottom was unbelievable. So now I have the bug and so far I have tried the new Delta NR V2 in my Conrad Johnson Premier 140 amp and PS Audio Directstream DAC. The Delta's are quieter and have better transparency at the cost of a reduction in warmth. I am a midrange critic. The rest of my system consists of Martin Logan Prodigy, new panels, Melco N1Z/2 music server. I use the PS Audio DAC as my preamp volume control. I am using the new WireWorld series 8 Platinum USB cable, Interconnects are Audioquest Fire, Speaker cables are Audioquest Earth. My question is: Where would the power cable upgrade benefit the most? How much would the Alpha V2 better the Delta V2. With the Triton, is an NR PC necessary for the amp? Hope I am not confusing. All replies appreciated.
Skye,
I've been waiting for folks more knowledgeable to jump in and advise you as I am still trying to figure out the Shunyata product line myself.

Going from an good aftermarket PC to a Venom V12 NR on my preamp made a noticeable difference in my system, but I have not yet tried Shunyata on my amps. Others can jump in, but it seems the lowest signal and noisiest components (preamp, DAC) would benefit most from an upgrade?
Evan
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom
Old 09-14-2021, 08:35 PM

I can help with Alpha NR v2, Sigma NR v2 and Omega QR, no experience with latest Delta or Venom, ..write me if interested.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:56 AM

Im in the same field trying to decide whether to get a Delta NR v2 or an Alpha NR v2. I know the Delta NR v2 is better than an Alpha NR v1. Skye stated the Delta NR v2 have a reduction in warmth does that just mean less clarity/detail or the Delta NR v2 is more of a neutral cable? All my interconnects and speaker cables in my system are UPOCC Copper. I believe the silver used in all the NR v2 cables is UPOCC silver so that should lead to most of the brightness associate with silver to be gone. I wouldnt mind knowing the differences between Delta NR v2 and Alpha NR v2 if anyone can chime in. I dont have 10 posts yet so I cant pm anyone. Maybe a short comparison between the two SCAudiophile? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:01 PM

Default Need some power cord advice

In response to Willief23, what I was trying to convey as far as the sound of the Delta NR V2 was that the sound is more detailed with a slight reduction of warmth. Let me explain, With the Delta cables replacing the Cobra Zitrons, the background was much more quiet, I heard instruments more clearly, voices and midrange instruments (piano, violin etc.) are more defined now. On my ML electrostat speakers w/dual 10" woofers, the bass was, in my opinion too much with the Cobra Zitron. The Delta cables on the amp and DAC seems to have a sweeter balance between the woofers and the panels.

I could happily live with the Delta cables. I listened to my system for a couple hours last night, trying to find something to pick at. Nothing, I enjoyed listening to some of my favorite music. As I stated in my original post, I have been playing around with interconnects, and digital cables, but I never dreamed that power cords could make such a dramatic difference on the sound. I am going to replace the Delta cables with the Alpha NR V2 not because the of the Deltas sound, but as a true audiophile, I am always looking for that ultimate sound.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:18 PM

Default Need Some Power Cord Advice

I finally replaced the Delta cable to my amp with the Alpha V2 NR, also replaced the Python Ztron to the Triton 1 with an Alpha V2 XC. Just changing those cables made a remarkable improvement in the focus and clarity of any well recorded music. The front to back depth of the soundstage keeps getting deeper and the midrange clarity stands out on recordings that were not so much before the cable change. I forgot to mention, that I also added the Typhon to the Triton.

I am going to listen with the Typhon for awhile, but from what I have been reading about the combo, I will probably end up pursuing the Denali. If I could find one at a good price, I would probably jump on it.